Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

Which is the lightest antivirus

by Magic-wand / March 28, 2013 6:35 AM PDT

Which one consumes less system resources??

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is the lightest antivirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is the lightest antivirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most think that's NOD32.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 6:40 AM PDT

But some want a free one but that's not in your list. So NOD32 gets the nod.
Bob

Collapse -
NOD32 used to be light....
by Skeghammer / March 29, 2013 5:45 PM PDT

I'm now on Version 5 of NOD32 on several Windows XP machines and, while early versions used to operate unnoticed, it now often hogs the machine's resources making it impossible to do anything with the foreground task. I suspect if you have a multi-core CPU it is not an issue, but my poor old single core 1.6GHz machines are often all but unusable during the startup scan.

I'm also looking for a light anti-virus product for when my current NOD32 licence expires.

Collapse -
NOD still wins light in my opinion.What's not light today is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

As there is some many thousand (millions now?) virus and more to detect how can we avoid loading down any antivirus with the needed lists of bad things?

-> Why are you performing a startup scan?

Most turned that off years ago unless they are doing dangerous things such as torrents and the like.

Looks solvable.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Light antivirus
by mielli1 / March 29, 2013 11:03 AM PDT

Definitely Would be MS Security Essentials. Use with Windows defender.... Light on system resources and your wallet (it's free!) Stay away from Norton even if it's provided by your ISP.

Collapse -
Only on a multicore!
by Zouch / March 29, 2013 7:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Light antivirus

MSE killed my single core laptop - Switched to Avast and hardly know it's there - except when it verbally announces it's updated the signatures! I use Avast on my Android phone also, again, no noticeable overhead. Y.M.M.V.

Collapse -
PHONE?- VIRUS
by Hydrahead / June 8, 2013 7:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Only on a multicore!

If you don;t know.
there's no viruses on phones thats why phone protections free

Collapse -
@Hydrahead
by btljooz / June 16, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: PHONE?- VIRUS
Collapse -
I looked and didn't find any. Even with your search.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: @Hydrahead

Maybe you are re-defining what a virus is? Here's the current definition.

"A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself[1] and spread from one computer to another. The term "virus" is also commonly, but erroneously, used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have a reproductive ability."

It would be erroneous to include the usual other types of infections. So back to you. Are you calling those trojans and such a virus?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. From your own search -> "Hoax"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
To Clarify.....
by btljooz / June 17, 2013 4:29 AM PDT

No. I am NOT trying to "re-define what a virus is." But a person could say that one sort of mal-ware IS a virus. I apologize for the confusion caused by my misnomer.

The particular link that you provide is about something that started a decade ago and in fact was a particular spam message that was being sent out at that time that was in fact a hoax. That article has absolutely nothing to do with cell phone mal-ware in general. That particular article is about the ACE-? Mobile Phone Hoax. Please see: http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=99320

My main point is that it is a FACT is that cell phone "mal-wares" (so to speak), in general, DO exist. period.

"A cell phone virus is a computer virus that infects a cell phone. Initially considered to be a hoax, cell phone viruses have become real as many smartphones and other modern cell phones feature internet capability and contain storage space."

"A mobile virus is a piece of malicious software that targets mobile phones or wireless-enabled PDAs.
As wireless phone and PDA networks become more commonly used and more
complex, it has become increasingly difficult to secure them against electronic attacks in the form of viruses or other malware."

More generalities can be read by following the Reference and other links at Wikipedia under "Cell Phone Virus" and "Mobile Virus".

Much better searches than the one I initially provided are:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Cell+phone+viruses

and

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Cell+phone+malware

I hope this clears the mud.

*P.S.: You may want to add FactCheck (http://www.factcheck.org/) and TruthOrFiction (http://www.truthorfiction.com/) to your list of debunking sites if you don't already have them. Wink

Collapse -
I have or should have never written there is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2013 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: To Clarify.....

Sorry but you called out "virus" and as such we need to be very clear about what we are calling out.

There is plenty of malware, trojans and such so there is no dispute there. It's like the elusive Mac OS X virus.

Good to see you know the difference from a virus to those other things.
Bob

Collapse -
To be specific...
by btljooz / June 17, 2013 4:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
AND BTW.
by btljooz / June 17, 2013 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: To be specific...

Hydrahead is the one who called "viruse". I just took that an ran... .... .... because I do know about such things and also the difference. I was merely using his terminology to try to make my point.

Collapse -
I find those that sell AntiVirus for android
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2013 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: AND BTW.
Collapse -
Phone OSes..
by btljooz / June 18, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

I view phone OSes similarly to computer OSes. ANYthing written in code can and will [eventually] have exploits at one time or another. Therefore, why would one want to take the chance of being just another statistic? Really?

I was simply refuting Hydrahead's assertion that "there's no viruses on phones". That's all. As I have shown, malwarez of several types do exist that affect cell phone platforms. I never stated how prevalent they are. That is the next 64 Thousand Dollar Question that has mixed reviews, but it's a general consensus that an ounce of prevention could very well be worth a ton of cure. Please refer to: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Does+Your+Smart+Phone+Need+an+Antivirus%3F

As for your "android commercial", while it's interesting, I fail to see the relevance.

Collapse -
Can't reply to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2013 4:29 AM PDT

Start a new discussion but as long as folk can't find the virus (let's use our definitions of that here? OK?) Will we need an antivirus? What would it do?

As to the other issues, I'd like to hear your thoughts about security if Plan B and that other item works, and we know that Google can recall an app, replace an app apparently without our consent.

Are you OK with that?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Lightest antivirus
by pauly1651 / March 29, 2013 1:27 PM PDT

I use AVG free, and Malwarebytes. Both work great, cause zero conflicts both seem to be very light, easy to use, and doesn't mess with the rest of my system. As others have said, stay away from Norton, and I would add, stay away from McAfee also.

Collapse -
Answer
Webroot is tiny but effective
by MichaelRayBrown / March 29, 2013 1:36 PM PDT

The full download is less than a megabyte, but it consistently turns in top scores. Webroot's definitions reside in the cloud, so it's constantly up to date.

Norton Internet Security 2013 also has a very light footprint, compared to what it was several years ago. I used to run NOD32, but its ability to block malware has declined.

Collapse -
Answer
Panda Cloud
by Flatworm / March 29, 2013 9:51 PM PDT

Of the freeware antivirus programs, I have found Panda Cloud to have the lightest footprint and slow down older, less powerful computers the least. It's noticeably lighter than Avast, Avira or AVG. I have not tried NOD32, but my computers have never been slowed by Norton Antivirus versions 2010 and above, although I don't put it on anything running less than a Core 2 Duo chip with 4GB of RAM.

Collapse -
Answer
What AV Comparatives says:
by btljooz / March 30, 2013 5:31 AM PDT

The last time AV Comparatives ran Performance tests was October of 2012. You can check out their results by downloading the PDF file ( av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_per_201210_en.pdf ) that they provide.

Collapse -
Answer
Avast
by Tofayel72 / June 23, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

I am highly satisfied with Avast.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.