Networking & Wireless forum

Which is the best WiFi range extender

by vignesh1036 / September 29, 2011 8:39 PM PDT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is the best WiFi range extender
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is the best WiFi range extender
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The problem with extenders is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2011 2:04 AM PDT

I find them to not always work with every router.

Because of that I use the old ROUTER AS A WAP solution.

Collapse -
WiFi Range Extender
by Guenillou / October 1, 2011 12:17 AM PDT

Hi Vignesh,
I have used the Linksys WRE54G in the past with clients and it has helped in all cases. It is best to use an extender that is of the same make. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
WiFi Range Extenders-BT Hotspot500-need same supply ring
by HelgeUrdal / May 11, 2014 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: WiFi Range Extender

Using BT Hotspot 500 with BT Router is in principle fine. In practice if you wish to extend say to a garage with its own way at the domestic distribution unit (radial or ring) does not work - BT confirm this.
They suggest try Panasonic. Will this work when the power supply of the two units are on separate ways, even separate RCDs?

Collapse -
Years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2014 11:54 PM PDT

I'd post a new discussion with all the details. Range extenders continue to be hit or miss. If the maker and seller are not answering your questions, why are you considering their products?

Collapse -
WiFi Extenders-different circuits for two ends of extender
by HelgeUrdal / May 12, 2014 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Years later.

Thank you for your quick response. Why considering these products? Need a solution to get wifi into garage (where there is now a new office) which works. Any working solution is welcome. Main domestic router however, remains BT (existing provider).
PS As a newcomer, I am ignorant about starting a new thread.

Collapse -
What I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2014 2:54 AM PDT

Sorry but the forums are wonky at the moment.

I use the usually "ROUTER AS A WAP" and connecting that over powerline networking or that powerline bridge to WiFi device. The one thing I continue to not use are extenders since my clients are a little demanding.

Example in a box solution?

Collapse -
by VinceSGH / October 9, 2011 1:52 PM PDT

The most popular one is the WRE54G but not everyone prefers that model. If you take a look at the reviews on you will get tonnes of reviews on it. Some people appear to prefer it just because its easy to use and you don't really have to be concerned about it being the "best". But then there's a bunch of people who are interested in their latest releases which are just picking up steam. Take a look either way and you'll find something on there.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.