Cameras forum

General discussion

which is the best ultra-pocket-thin-slim digital camera??

by cocoi_10 / May 30, 2005 4:54 PM PDT

im looking for a digicam that is small enough to fit in my pocket, or wear it with a neck strap. i noticed that there are several brands that offer that kind, and i wanna know which is the best among them.

i like the new Sony DSC T-7 but its expensive. though im willing to pay that much, i dont know if its worth it coz i noticed that there are a lot of alternative brands which are a lot cheaper like the exilim, optio and others. im having difficulty comparing them from their picture quality, features, and price and others.

im looking for opinions of critics and those who own one themselves. I'm done comparing them side by side by their specifications and some features. what i wanna know is what are their pros and cons, the stuff the owners like and dislikes bout the digicam, anything that will help me decide what brand to buy. im looking for a review of what its like to use one.

any help will be very much appreciated!
thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which is the best ultra-pocket-thin-slim digital camera??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which is the best ultra-pocket-thin-slim digital camera??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Owner Opinions/reviews
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 31, 2005 12:21 AM PDT

There is a good source for this information:

Here is a starting point for just one brand of camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

Under the photo there is sometimes a link printed in green:
Read Opinions/Reviews

Click on the link under the photo of the camera that you want to know about.

I would start with the "SD" series of small cameras, which are so popular now.

To research other brand of cameras..Use the links on the far left side of the page. Select "Cameras"

Things to know about customer opinions:

You need at least 25 opinions to draw a conclusion.

Some people post an opinion and don't even own the camera. These are commonly found in the oldest opinions, which are posted right after a camera is first announced.

Some people will blast a camera for not having features that more expensive cameras have. An unfair comparison.

Some people love everthing and rate everything 100%.

My rules....Just like the Olympics....
Throw out the very best and the very worst and base your opinion on the remaining.

Collapse -
What do you mean by "best"
by rgfitz / May 31, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) best slim camera
by Jckund31 / May 31, 2005 11:57 AM PDT

Sony cyber-shot DSC-T1. It has a large LCD screen, very slim, and is 5MP.

Collapse -
Sony T1
by PMR / May 31, 2005 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) best slim camera

The sony t1 is small but it is heavier than most cameras in its class. If you plan on wearing it on an necklace this is something to look at.

Collapse -
Read Mossberg's latest views on pocket digital cameras at:
by rgfitz / June 1, 2005 6:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sony T33
by Jim Hoekema / June 2, 2005 10:39 PM PDT

I recently bought a Sony T33 - 5MP, 3x optical zoom, 2.5" LCD (huge!), and fits easily into a shirt pocket. Comes with a compact recharger/USB cradle. Long battery life. I paid $400 at Staples (an impulse buy), but you can get it for less. I'm very pleased with it.

Collapse -
re: ultra-pocket-thin-slim digicam
by annicus / June 3, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

I am a Canon fan myself. Canons are definitely one of the most reliable camera source, as they have been in the camera arena for as long as I can remember. I now use the SD300, and it's great. It features a large LCD (although not quite as large as the Sonys - but definitely big enough) and the picture quality is impeccable. If you want a lighter version, the SD200 is considerable lighter (and cheaper) but is only 3.2mp. From my experience with Sonys, I firmly believe that looks are everything. They are always top of the line in terms of looking sleek and cool, but I find their quality lacking. I have friends that own the T1 and the photos are just nowhere as good as ones taken by Canons.

My SD300 is the 3rd digicam I've owned. I used to use the Optio S, which was good for what it was - tiny (one of the smallest when it was first released) and decent picture quality. It was considerably slower than the SD300 that I use now, namely in starting up and picture-viewing mode. It also had a 35 sec cap on videos taken - a drawback if you ever want to take a short video clip at a concert or lecture or something.

My first digicam was the Minolta Dimage X. I loved it for what it was, and the picture quality was comparable to the Optio (although the X is 2.0 and Optio S is 3.2 so you can see a marked difference that may or may not be purely due to resolution). My only issue with the Dimage series is that the lens is placed in a bad position - in the upper left corner of the camera. While I had no problems with the positioning of the lens because I was used to the camera, I found more often than not that when I handed the camera to someone else to take a picture for me, their finger would end up in the picture. This could also be a potential problem with the Sony series.

That's my 2 cents. Hope this helps...

Collapse -
what counts is how fast the shutter works
by Peter M / June 3, 2005 4:16 AM PDT

Good Friday afternoon,

The mini digital cameras are all great- B U T...
they all are incredibly slow in shutter speeds. In most cases by the time you push the shutter button- the picture you wanted is gone !!!

The answer the cmaera stech folks told me was to
# 1 turn of the flash
# 2 turn off the auto focus
# 3 set the camera for multiple picture shooting

That sounds fine and does help speed things up,
BUT it is not the answer. You want autofocus and usualyy flash (fill in) and do not usualy want many images of one subject.

How and when will they fix that ? Then it would be worht paying the extra dollars to make it work and shoot as fast as a conventional film camera.

Any comments??

Thanks, Peter M. Ildau

Collapse -
I like Sony
by EMOsellyka / June 3, 2005 6:14 AM PDT

Hi,
I have the Sony DSC-T7 and I am very pleased with it. I have always been a Sony fan though Canon and Nikon are very good too. However, all 3 digi cam's I have ever owned were Sonys. They are good looking and easy to use.

The T7 was quite an advancement for me over the P5 I used to have. You know those flat packs of gum they have out now, like Eclipse and Wrigley's? That's about the size and thickness of the T7. It's very easy to carry around your neck if needed and takes up no space in a pocket or purse. What I love most about it is the start time. My P5 took nearly 4 seconds to turn on and I usually missed whatever i was planning on shooting but the T7 is ready in under a second which makes snapping a picture a lot easier. It only has a 3x zoom and my P5 had a 6x zoom, but I only really needed the 6x because it took so long to turn on and what I wanted to snap had usually moved so far away. Also, once you zoomed in so far, it was hard to get a clear picture without a tripod or steady surface to put the camera on. So far the 3x zoom on the T7 has been enough for me and the pictures turn out wonderfully.

There are a lot of automatic settings available and they seem to work just fine, and the flash is very powerful compared to the P5 which I had for several years.

The battery charger that comes with the T7 is very cool, it's a flat black unit that plugs into the wall and the prongs fold in and out a la apple products for easy transportation. I didn't like that you have to take the battery out to charge it everytime, though that can be useful to charge a spare battery when you have a full one in the camera and isn't a problem when you have the time. I liked that the P5 had a regular ac adapter so in the few rare times I ran out of charge at home I could plug it in and still use it. I don't see an ac input on the camera though they do sell adapters on their site for the T7, so I guess it plugs into the usb port or something. The battery time is pretty good, not impressive but decent, I do recommend a spare if you sightsee a lot or such where you will be turning the camera on and off a lot or using the flash a lot. Otherwise, for an regular day out, or in attendance to a party or wedding, one charge should be just fine, from my own experience.

Another great thing about the T7 is the "wow" factor, if you are into that kind of thing. I got mine when it first came out, right before a car meet I was attending, and we were taking pictures. I whipped my T7 out and people were asking me if it was an mp3 player or pda! Once they saw it was a camera, I got a lot of questions about it and people kept fondling it and wanting to use it.

Here are some pictures and a video I took that day, so you can see how they turn out. I did take them in the largest format, 5 megapixels, but had to resize them smaller to upload them to the server dues to space complications.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Meryem13/Meet/DSC00026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Meryem13/Meet/DSC00074.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Meryem13/Meet/DSC00085.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Meryem13/Meet/DSC00092.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Meryem13/Meet/DSC00106.jpg
This last one was taken by my brother from a moving car, on the highway:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/Meryem13/Meet/DSC00151.jpg

movie: http://koti.mbnet.fi/tiberium/MOV00060.MPG

I can only give one opinion, I hope it helps. Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
i got the minolta dimage xg
by nemesisatbc / June 3, 2005 7:53 AM PDT

i'm not sure what you're looking for. you really have to figure out how much you're willing to spend. my minolta dimage xg was really expensive, somewhere in 250-300 dollar ballpark. but it is really small and can fit in my average pants pocket. (3 inches by 4 inches). and it has absolutely great photos. i think a lot of people recommend the sony 5.1 megapixel one but that's like 400 bucks. nevertheless, smaller is not definitely better...sometimes small cameras have a tendency to shake...hence blurry photos. good luck.

Collapse -
Which camera?
by batavier / June 13, 2005 9:04 AM PDT

The most important (and expensive) part on any camera is the lens. Sony uses (mostly?) Zeiss lenses, which are about the best you can get.

For the most detailed test information you can get on many cameras can be found at http://www.dpreview.com
They also have very active boards where you can get post your questions to get answers, often from experts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.