TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Which is the best smart TV?

by CecilSanders3 / October 20, 2011 7:25 PM PDT

I am interested in smart TV. I heard it is like a smart phone on the TV, running apps and surfing the internet. Does this really work? Also, do you know which smart TV should I get and why? I saw samsung calling their 3D TV a smart TV besides any other names. Is it because samsung TV has the best smart TV?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is the best smart TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is the best smart TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
On taking out the bells and whistles...
by Rob10 / November 15, 2011 1:36 AM PST

I'm in the market for a HDTV too, and PQ is my first priority as well. I don't want to pay extra for 3D either, because the demo at the store made it looked like it's not ready for Prime Time yet. However, two points...

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: smart TV
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 8:05 PM PDT

It's much more limited than a smart phone.
There are hardly apps, there's no touch screen, and you can only browse selected sites.

Why not visit a shop and ask the sales person to give you a demo?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Best Smart TV..
by MathewMontgomery / October 23, 2011 7:54 PM PDT

Samsung "Smart TV" is just a brand name of Samsung TV, like Sony "Bravia", LG "Cinema" Vizio "Theater"...etc. Samsung promotes their products as "Samsung Smart TV" not because their TV is the best smart TV but because it is their brand name. Samsung was the first to use the term "smart TV" but it is not their own thing anymore. It now has become a terminology for TVs that are capable of using internet. Many other companies including LG, Sony, Intel now have the smart feature in their TVs so you have to go to retail stores, play demo and decide what you like the best.

Collapse -
Answer
After a year of smart TVs my answer is "don't bother."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

Actually it's been a few years yet folk are still complaining about how lacking these smart TVs are in basic areas such as the "browser."

Expectations seem to be that the browser would be on par with your current PC.
Reality is they are getting better but still falls short.

For now my advice is to not pay more for this and compare with non-Smart TVs.
Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Bob, not worth the premium
by Zouch / October 28, 2011 10:42 PM PDT

I'm researching a new TV at present and having looked at all the smart TVs, I just don't think they are worth the premium. I'll be spending any extra on picture and sound quality, such things as full HD, LED backlighting and refresh frequency. But most of all subjective picture quality. If I want to surf the web, I'll use my computer and get an infinitely better result. My TV is for watching programmes and movies!

But then my mobile phone is for making calls, not all the other fancy stuff on offer. One smartphone review I saw really creased me up - it said the phone in question was outstanding. Their only criticism was that call quality wasn't so good! As fans of Faulty Towers would say, Que?

Collapse -
Yes, but
by Rob10 / April 10, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

Most of the sets with the better screen technology are the ones they stuff "smart" features into. It's not often a matter of taking a mid to high-end TV and removing just the Internet "chip" and leaving the rest of the PQ alone. It's called the Big Upsell :-(.

Collapse -
Answer
smart tvs
by hereisjenna / October 24, 2011 5:21 PM PDT

Smart TVs are televisions with Internet capability. As MathewMontgomery said, Samsung has marketed their tvs with internet capability as "Smart TVs" but this doesn't necessarily mean that they make the best smart tvs. Other brands like LG, Panasonic and Sony also make smart tvs. I don't have experience with Panasonic and Sony smart tvs but LG smart tv is pretty good. I mostly use it for Facebook and watching Videos via apps like Hulu and Netflix. It's fast and not that hard to use. I've also tried Samsung smart tv before. It's good but doesn't give you exclusive contents on Netflix like LG smart tv does.

Collapse -
Answer
put the smarts where they belong
by porsche10x / November 1, 2011 1:44 AM PDT

First, I should say that I haven't researched the current capabilities of any smart TVs but here's something to consider. Advances in computer technology come BLAZINGLY fast. I don't know about you, but when I buy a TV I expect it to last years, a lot of years. I can't imagne that a smart TV is in the least bit "upgradeable", except for maybe a firmware upgrade. I'd guess that for the price difference, you could just buy a cheap PC and hook it up to your "dumb" TV. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet that one of those cheap, old refurbs you see on buy.com, etc., for around $100 will outperform the smart TV by 200% to 1000%. Depending on your desires, you might also consider getting some kind of networked media player from Seagate, Western DIgital, etc. A year from now, you won't be kicking yourself over what the "new" smart TVs can do. You can always upgrade or replace your media center PC every so often as needed.

Collapse -
I couldn't agree more
by Pepe7 / November 1, 2011 2:18 AM PDT

That's the beauty of utilizing the current established technology. With a little bit of planning and prep-work, you can get a relatively inexpensive device with functionality that supercedes any of the $$ smart HDTVs by a longshot. I always encourage friends, family and clients to focus on the picture quality of any HDTV ahead of the widgets & apps that are so heavily marketed now. <sigh>

Collapse -
Answer
smart TV
by pinkzroxor / May 2, 2012 10:42 AM PDT

Samsung Smart TV is just a name of a specific model. They are great but wouldn't say the greatest. In fact, you can't really say which brand has the best because they're all competitors and each has its own unique features. But I personally prefer LG's smart TV for a couple of reasons. Their smart interface has a magic remote which is the same one they use in Nintendo Wii. Also, a lot of their premium apps are very useful. Other smart features were pretty much the same with the other brands, I just really liked the quality on LG TVs.

Collapse -
Answer
best smart TV
by Keithperfez / June 10, 2012 3:36 PM PDT

I've been using a LG 3D TV for over one year and have had no problems with function or app use.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung TV evolved
by DustinDep / June 26, 2013 3:11 AM PDT

Well the samsung is the highest rated and also the only one that can be upgraded without purchasing a completely new TV

Collapse -
Still very limited. In fact, misses folk's expectations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung TV evolved

I see you posted again and with that I supplied more details.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.