PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Which is the best RAM company?

by dominican4114 / July 15, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

I have an eMachines T3882 and a Dell 8300. I want to upgrade the RAM for both of them. I was wondering which is the best company out there for RAM? Also if you could give me the specs of the RAM i should get would be great. Also any specials you know of right now. I want to upgrade at least to 1GB. But the max 2GB as that is how much my eMachines takes. I am not sure how much the Dell can take

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is the best RAM company?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is the best RAM company?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
any good brand name will do fine
by AKonny47 / July 15, 2005 11:55 AM PDT

corsair,kingston, ocz, patriot, mushkin, crucial

konny

Collapse -
do it matter mixing up brand names?
by dominican4114 / July 15, 2005 1:18 PM PDT

right now my eMachines has a Samsung ram stick. does it matter if i get a different brand and put it in with it?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope...mix-n-match....they're all friends! ;)
by John.Wilkinson / July 22, 2005 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
Depends
by farrid / July 22, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

If you have a mobo that supports Dual channel ram then yes is matters. If you are broke the what ever you got is good. I prefer to use the same brand to make sure I am getting the most out of what I bought. This ensures your ram settings will get the most out of the ram you have.

Collapse -
In addition to what Konny posted
by John Robie / July 15, 2005 12:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
I '3rd' Crucial
by ackmondual / July 21, 2005 11:31 PM PDT

I bought RAM from crucial 5 years ago for my Dell XPS T550 PC. I also have a Dell Dimension 8300 system and bought from Crucial.com yet again to upgrade my RAM from 0.5GB to 1.5GB.

Also, your question is kinda vague. By ''best'' do you mean the best that $$ can buy or the best value? Either way, there may be some places that are cheaper than Crucial.com. For example, Monarch sold 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair brand for $105 while Crucial sold Micron brand (their) for $115 + $6 for NJ sales tax (both included free shipping). I ended up buying from Crucial site b/c 1) customer loyalty and 2) Monarch was kinda vague about what goes with what. Crucial tells you up front what will work with your prebuilt PC or mobo.

As for specs, I *highly* recommend you visit Crucial.com for 2 reasons. One, u'll see what's compatible with your PCs. E.g. choose brand for Dell, Dimension for model line, and Dimension 8300 for model, and you'll see a list of compatible types/specs of RAM, as well as other info on your PC, like how the 8300 has max of 4GB of RAM and 4 DIMM slots. You can do this for your emachines as well and by motherboard if you put together your own PC. Two, they have alot of links, FAQs, and guides that explain each spec. I don't know what's standard with RAM on the 8300, but i believe you'll want and Crucial will also confirm this as well.....

>PC3200 speed (which is 400MHz)
You can mix PC3200 speed RAM with PC2700 (which is 333MHz), but actual speed will underclock to the slowest stick. May as well get the PC3200 since due to the way production is, PC3200 may actually be cheaper if not the same price

>non registered
>non ECC (Error Correction Code)
this is used moreso for servers

>dual channel RAM
You get better performance from buying a pair of RAM of half capacity each instead one whole. Dual channel RAM uses the extra bandwidth available from 2 sticks of 512MB as opposed to 1 stick of 1GB to gain better performance. The pair of modules MUST be the same speed and capacity. They don't have to be the same brand, altho it's recommended they are (which is the reason many vendors sell them in pairs as "dual channel" kits). They also have to be installed into the correct slots for it to work. Check your PC manuals for the RAM installation section. They'll tell u which slots to install to, label the slots, or indicate that it doesn't support dual channel

...and you can look up the rest yourself. When in doubt, just go by the compatiblity list. You may not buy from Crucial, but at least you'll have a better idea about RAM after 5 to 10 minutes of reading.

Collapse -
Not all the same
by farrid / July 22, 2005 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: I '3rd' Crucial

Just remember you get what you pay for. I understand that just because it is Samsung ram it could have been emported, just the chips and put together on a board in a shammy shop and this could spell poor quality.

Collapse -
mem upgrade
by daddyo58 / July 15, 2005 11:33 PM PDT

Dell is priprority meaning unless you know the board model it will be very hard to upgrade as with the other machine look at the board. run msinfo to get more info on system

Collapse -
My vote goes to..
by 24-7Computers / July 15, 2005 11:40 PM PDT

www.crucial.com gets my vote. Happy

Collapse -
Check
by angeles75 / July 23, 2005 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: My vote goes to..

www.zipzoomfly.com. They have very good prices on RAM. I use Kingston on all my computers.

Collapse -
The BEST Memory On The Market
by dvdmizer / July 22, 2005 12:43 AM PDT

I have been in the computer field for over 16 years and I currently work for a systems integrator for a house brand computer.

Over the years we have tried MANY types of Memory from Cheapest to the most expensive and I have come to the conclusion that.............

KINGSTON has the best memory out there. The reason is because of their QUALITY CONTROL.

When we went strickly KINGSTON on our systems our production went up by 65% because we no longer had issues with new systems acting weird during the burn - in - process.

Also when it comes to upgrading older systems, we have also found that Kingston is the MOST compatible.

Note: When you are upgrading an older system with memory.....Do yourself a favor and make sure that the Memory modules are the same Manufacturer. It is not wise to mix and match Manufacturers.

Collapse -
Most of it is good.. but...
by thedirector15 / March 11, 2007 12:00 AM PST

I've been thru many sticks, and all have the occasional bad egg (real vista killer, fyi).
But as far as things go, for customer service and RMA issues, Kingston gets my vote. Crucial would be next.
I fully agree with those who recommend checking the computer and/or motherboard manufacturer to verify their requirements.
Ram upgrades are relatively simple, till you try to stick something in which could be considered alien.

Collapse -
Re: Deals
by Alan Copeland / July 22, 2005 2:41 AM PDT

Go to Price Grabber and type in memory. I find that yestreday's deal from one firm may well be too high today. I have mixed RAM in all of my PCs and if there has been a problem, I can't detect it. Ideally you would have all one brand but that's not cost effective unless you are starting from scratch.

Collapse -
OCZ
by siberus / August 4, 2005 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Deals
Collapse -
WWW.Crucial.com
by akareload / July 22, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

Crucial is the BEST. You can walk through the process from the brand of computer to the model. It will tell you not only what type of RAM to purchase but the MAX you system will support. This is very important since so many people Cram RAM and then complain that they see no improvement in preformance. It also has the best prices by far as well as very fast shipping.

Collapse -
IMO...
by martinaggie01 / July 22, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

It depends on what you are doing, if you are just running memory and not going to be tweaking your system to squeeze juice out of it, it depends on what type of system it is.

Not messing with clock speeds and memory timings, I would say...
AMD: Corsair XMS 2x512
Intel: Kingston Hyper X

if you will be doing some tweaking,
AMD: OCZ Plat Rev 2 or Gold VX (if your doing in voltage tweaking)
Intel: I dunno.

Collapse -
I would like to thank everyone
by dominican4114 / July 22, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

who helped me with this question. I just need more RAM to make my PC faster for normal things like surfing the web and things like that. I have all decided to go with Crucial. Thanks again

Collapse -
Which is the best RAM
by DickM / July 23, 2005 1:57 AM PDT

Hi In all my years of buying RAM I have found that if you purchase from Main brand manufactures you'll have the best luck. Keep in mind by staying with the same brand of ram your timming and speed of the ram will be the same so don't mix and try to match ram. I like using Kingstom Ram as it is some of best ever made there QC is the best plus they have the best return policy if you have to return it. GOOD LUCK

Collapse -
Crucial is the Best
by kens1129 / July 23, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

Crucial is one of the few companies that manufactures their own chips. The chips that don't pass their stringent testing are sold to other companies who uses them to make RAM under their own brand names.
Crucial also guarantees their RAM to work or you can return it. That's why their RAM cost more then others.

Collapse -
Micron chips on Crucial RAM
by mbs2978 / January 25, 2008 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Crucial is the Best

Crucial does not make the chips. Micron does. Which is the parent company. Crucial is a sister company designed to market memory to end users. Go straight to the source. Micron.

Collapse -
Another Vote For Crucial RAM.
by Species8472 / July 25, 2005 3:58 PM PDT

Another loyal Crucial customer. Theyre Customer Support is wonderfull. They also have ram for Digital Cameras, among other stuff.

Collapse -
Samsung!
by John B / July 29, 2005 2:16 PM PDT

My Dell Dimension 8200 came with Samsung RDRAM and I upgraded with more Samsung and it works great! Performance is outstanding and trouble free. Samsung is the only memory that I will use. I got a great deal on eBay. Also, check out Comtread (www.comtread.com). You won't be sorry.

Collapse -
Kingston
by angryfirelord / July 30, 2005 11:51 PM PDT

They have the best record of being compatable with other brands of RAM. However, it really doesn't matter what you pick.

Collapse -
Corsair
by W00ter / August 2, 2005 11:04 PM PDT

Corsair is my choice

Collapse -
a-data
by sehana / July 12, 2007 4:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung Original is hands down the best..
by VAPCMD / July 12, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

But that's REAL SAMSUNG....Samsung Chips, on Samsung PCBs, assembled and Tested by Samsung ...with their sticker on it.

Crucial is good.

Most of the rest ....Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, etc., are marketing companaies....packagers, distributors of RAM. They don't manufacture RAM chips ... they buy chips, they buy PCBs and have someone assemble them. Or they contract with a RAM mfg and put their labels on them.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Best RAM from a DRAM expert
by mbs2978 / January 25, 2008 1:12 AM PST

Samsung has the highest level of quality control and has across the board compatibility. There is no question or debate about it. They are recommended by most system manufacturers and most computer manufacturers use them as their memory OEM. Hynix, Micron, Elpida, Quimonda (Infineon) and Kingston are also very trusted around the world. People talk about Crucial a lot, but it is memory that is made by Micron, and marketed to the end users as "high performance". So I would rather go right to the source and buy Micron original memory. There are many suppliers and the important thing is to be sure there is a lifetime warranty on the memory, and to be sure you aren't buying "Major on thirds" which can be a module with Samsung chips on it, but manufactured by a third party. The chips on these modules, most likely, have been rejected by quality control by the major DRAM manufacturer and sold to the highest bidder. I think that 18004memory.com does a great job at supplying major brands as well as high quality generic memory. They have just about the best prices, and great after POS support.

Collapse -
Best brand RAM
by A.PMajhi / November 15, 2009 12:31 AM PST

how can i upgrade my PC (Compaq)Processor(P-IV)having 256MB RAM and 40GB HDD

Collapse -
Locking this old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2009 12:35 AM PST

Since clicking next unread is dead a lock so that new posts don't get lost.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.