PC Applications

General discussion

Which is the Best DVD-CD writing software?

by ankurq7 / June 27, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

(personal opinions based on usage)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is the Best DVD-CD writing software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is the Best DVD-CD writing software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, I find that depending on the task I ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

Use different softwares.

Here's my list.

1. CDBURNERXP.
2. K3b.
3. Ulead or Sony Vegas for DVD creations.
4. iTunes for AudioCDs.

Hope that helps,

Bob

Collapse -
Also I have already used
by PudgyOne / June 27, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

CDBurnerXP
Nero
Roxio

Depending on the task you want to do.

Rick

Collapse -
Roxio?
by ankurq7 / June 27, 2007 5:01 PM PDT

Can you tell me the complete name and version of the Roxio software you are using?

Collapse -
Roxio Creator 8
by PudgyOne / June 27, 2007 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Roxio?

It came with my Plextor DVD burner.

I used it to make a DVD with a menu, just like the ones that you get at Blockbuster.

I took videos of my daughter and her friends in a Dance recital. Used the menu screen for First half and second half. Only have to play the dance I want to see. Took awhile to encode it. I like using the menu option. If I knew another program that you can do this with, I'd consider using a trial and then maybe buy it.

Rick

Collapse -
Why Not Windows DVD Maker?
by retexan599 / June 29, 2007 10:15 AM PDT

It comes with Windows Vista. What would be the advantages of these other programs over the Windows DVD Maker?

Collapse -
Best DVD / CD burning software
by Silvertop / June 29, 2007 10:48 AM PDT

Ashampoo Burning Suite 7. Burns, backups, rips,copies,and makes/burns images on all media including Blue Ray. And it is totally reliable. I used to use Nero but the latest version really turns me off with all the bloat. Get Ashampoo you will like it.

Collapse -
Best looking interface?
by ankurq7 / June 30, 2007 2:08 AM PDT

Which one do you think has the best looking inferface among all?
(Purely based upon how beautiful it looks)

Collapse -
DVD burning software
by jf2425 / April 8, 2009 10:43 PM PDT

I currently have Record Now! from Sonic which came with the computer I bought. I also bought a DVD writer drive. I found the program user friendly.
The drive i boutht is 52X speed. However, when burning a DVD, it appears to take a while.
Is there a better DVD burning/CD copying software out there that may be faster? Or is it just simply a function of the DVD writer I have? I am starting to think that no matter what software I use, the speed will be the same becuase the DVD writer is the one dictating the speed.
Also I found some issues when copying a CD or burning a DVD. Are there better quality softwares that don't have any issues? Would be nice to find a fast and trouble-free even if is expensive.

Collapse -
Trouble free?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2009 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD burning software

Even I have small troubles now and then. But using the above titles on good media on a 2 or less year old DVDRW drive I rarely see an issue.

Collapse -
Best. easiest, or cheapest?
by mlcgruhlke / June 29, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

The best all around cd/dvd burning software is NERO, hands down. There are others out there that may do a better job here and there, but NERO, in my book, beats them all. Combined with DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter and DVD Defab Decrypter and one can do anything!

Collapse -
The latter three are illegal...
by John.Wilkinson / June 29, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

Here in the United States as the DMCA, and similar laws elsewhere, forbids the circumvention of copy protection. Several sites, including the original authors, have received take-down/cease and desist letters. Thus, it's best just to leave it as Nero.

John

Collapse -
Iffy! They had DVD Jon (see google) ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2007 10:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
True, but...
by John.Wilkinson / June 30, 2007 1:49 AM PDT

In 2005 DVD Shrink authors were forced to take it down and more or less stop development after receiving a cease-and-desist notice and having their web hosting terminated. Now it can only be found through third-parties, mostly overseas. Ditto with DVD Decrypter, except in that case it was publicly acknowledged the take-down notice was from Macrovision after they had not only enforced the international copyright laws but also purchased all rights to the software and changed its licensing terms. Since then sites in the US, Britain, and Finland have all received DMCA take-down notices.

I don't know how DVD Jon continues to flaunt the law, before, during, and after his little 'projects,' but I think in this case it's pretty clear...the DMCA forbids copy protection circumvention (except in very specific cases), the software has been removed numerous times before from US and foreign sites, and Macrovision owns the rights to DVD Decrypter, prohibiting its distribution. That's three strikes.

John

P.S. I'm wondering if that Cnet 'how we review' page has been updated since DVD Shrink was shown the public doorway.

Collapse -
The latter three are illegal...
by todd-ao / June 30, 2007 1:49 AM PDT

Sorry to be a little late on this one. In Denmark, when you have bought an original cd/dvd it is fully legal to make a copy for safe, your car, children or summerhouse, as long as it stays with you. And in order to do so, it is also legal to crack codes. And for that purpose Nero in connection with DVDshrink and DVDFab (both free editions) has been able to do the job. And we have a lot of summerhouses in Denmark....

Collapse -
That may be, but...
by John.Wilkinson / June 30, 2007 2:38 AM PDT

Here in the US it's illegal to circumvent the copy protection schemes. The Supreme Court did rule that having the copies themselves is not illegal, provided you own the originals, but the software and its usage is. Thus, you may be legally able to make the copies at your summer home, but these forums come under the jurisdiction of US copyright law. That's why even if you live in a country where it's legal it cannot be discussed here.

John

Collapse -
give me a break
by lungsucker / April 4, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

give me a break, the guy was just stating his opinion. i guess if someone mentioned the word heroin, that would be distastful, considering its illegal. If you dont like those programs fine, but dont criticize someone who does. I have used not so legit programs in the past to actually perform legit tasks.

Collapse -
Three things...
by John.Wilkinson / April 4, 2009 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: give me a break

1.) You have drudged up a two-year-old thread to level criticism about the right to criticize, as well as to admit to using illegal applications.
2.) There is no exception in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) permitting legal owners of DVDs to circumvent DRM to back them up. (That is not a legit task.)
3.) As a moderator in this forum, it is my duty to enforce the forum policies, which include a prohibition of discussions concerning illegal activities.

And for the record, I did not criticize the original poster; I just stated the facts and made a casual suggestion.

John

Collapse -
DVD-CD software
by dwync / June 29, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

I learned on Nero - but tried Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 and bought it - for most people it is very adequate and the format is very easy to use - you can use the full program for 30 days to try

Collapse -
"Roxio Easy Media Creator 9"
by cheriansonic / July 6, 2007 3:54 PM PDT

The best CD & DVD writing software is "Roxio Easy Media Creator 9" .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.