Laptops forum

Question

Which is more reliable brand for laptops: HP or Dell

by empires_varun / October 9, 2011 11:46 PM PDT

I am planning to purchase a laptop. After comprehensive research interms of specs I've filtered down my options to Dell XPS 15 and HP dv6tqe series. Both have similar hardware specs.
I am not able to decide on the brand, which one to buy. I would be glad if you could provide me some information/guidance in this regard for e.g. reliability in terms of any hardware problems, battery issues etc.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is more reliable brand for laptops: HP or Dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is more reliable brand for laptops: HP or Dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What are wanting to do
by TWB404 / October 10, 2011 2:05 AM PDT

First thing you should know is that HP is having a severe identity crisis and is planning on selling its PC division.

Both of the laptops you are looking at have the Intel i7 cpu. That will probably decrease the life of the laptop. They tend to generate more heat then the laptop can dissipate properly. That tends to cause problems about the time warranty expires.

What do you plan on using the laptop for?

Collapse -
Answer
I would go with the Dell because
by orlbuckeye / October 10, 2011 2:58 AM PDT

of the future of HP and their pc division.

Collapse -
HP is cheaper than Dell
by empires_varun / October 10, 2011 3:30 PM PDT

My primary use will be software development (Which does not required excessive resource), watching HD movies occasionally and regular general stuff like browsing etc....

Collapse -
What I found HP to compromise is service and support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2011 12:40 AM PDT

They can't fix errors such as their HP G62 laptops that won't boot when your smart phone is plugged in.

By ignoring such issues they have a lower price?
Bob

Collapse -
It may be HP is
by orlbuckeye / October 11, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

pricing everything to sell quick. They are talking about getting out of PC's altogether.

Collapse -
Configuration
by Zouch / October 21, 2011 7:29 PM PDT

I think the clue is in your comment "When I configured both...". What I've found in UK (may differ where you are) is that Dell's "headline" prices are very competitive and good value but once you stat configuring them up, the price tends to skyrocket. Case in point, some Dells I was ordering for a project started out very reasonable but configured to accommodate their intended workload, the price was almost double! No trouble with the machines, though, very reliable.

Collapse -
It is about the present at this moment
by richteral / October 21, 2011 6:56 PM PDT

Not good reasoning. A laptop bought right now will last ca 5 years. HP are making them (think about Compaq, too), and will continue to do so unless and until they sell off this part of their business, just as IBM did. It may well take a couple of years before it happens. Just as IBM maintained continuity through Lenovo, so will HP/Compaq.
I have had two HP laptops over the years; one is current (2009), the other obsolete (2004). Both work all right. Having seen and used some Dell machines, my preference goes to HP in general. It would be advisable to look at consumer reviews on the web specifically for the two models under consideration, and then decide.

Collapse -
Answer
HP vs Dell
by windyknoll96 / October 22, 2011 3:08 AM PDT

Dell is your best bet. HP has had numerous issues with overheating, particularly with the DV series. The reason for the low price is quality-both in design and components. Dell has always been way above HP in customer service, both for the regular consumer and for the repair professional. I have been both and will not own an HP laptop or desktop. The HP servers are pretty good. Check out Toshiba with an Intel processor also.

Collapse -
Laptop
by mayres / October 22, 2011 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: HP vs Dell

I have a different View would not touch either One Dells Gimmick is low price advertised yet when you go configure price goes through roof,Hp has a prob with overheating on the DV Models Try a Toshiba Or Samsung
Regards mayres

Collapse -
Dell seems better to me
by Pete Hernandez / October 23, 2011 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: HP vs Dell

I've had 1 Compaq PC, 2 HP laptops and 5 Dell PCs among others. The only ones I have not had unresolved problems with have been the Dells. Anytime I had a problem, I called Dell and got great support. On my latest Dell desktop, the DVD drive gave out after about 3 months. They determined it to be defective, and 2 days later a guy showed up to replace it. About 1-1/2 years later, my network connection was getting spotty. After eliminating the modem, router, and internet access provider, a Dell technician pinpointed the problem and a couple days later someone came over and replaced the motherboard. Great service! With the Compaq and the HPs, the service was pretty spotty, sometimes they told me I had to purchase additional service, etc. Both HP laptops have slowed down to a crawl. One, which is about 5 years old, is practically unuseable. I can't even back up the data because it severily overheats and shuts down without completing a backup. In the other one (a little over 2 years old) I have had to back up, delete everything, reformat the drive and reload the OS about 8 times thus far, and it still crawls. I'm now thinking of replacing my newer laptop due to these problems. Although I have not had any experience with Dell laptops, from my past experience dealing with them, Dell seems like a much better way to go.

Collapse -
Answer
Which is more reliable brand for laptops: HP or Dell
by mtcrews / October 22, 2011 11:10 PM PDT

I have had 2 HPs and this is my third dell-17" Inspiron. I have had great service with the dells compared to the hps. Maybe i didn't spend as much for the HPs-i just know i have had better "toughness" in the dells-less trouble by far. Also, if you do get a service contract with dell they are on top of it in a second with a tech coming to your home immediately. One of my laptops would not recognize my bluetooth devices for some reason-they replaced the motherboard and when that didn't work they sent me a new up to date laptop that was alot better than my old 4yr. old one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.