Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Which is better x86 or x64?

by Ray_XP / February 4, 2012 10:36 AM PST

So here is my question, is there any notable advantages of using a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit OS. I wish to know because I love Windows XP however the only 64-bit version I have ever found of it is based on the Windows 2003 Server Kernel therefore not really being XP right? Anyway I have a 2.20GHz x64 processor does it make any major difference to use a 64-bit OS? Thank you in advance for your answers!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is better x86 or x64?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is better x86 or x64?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are some real advantages ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 4, 2012 11:28 AM PST

to a 64 bit Operating System such as memory use, support of hardware DEP rather than thorough software, kernel patch protection, mandatory driver signing, enhanced security features, can access greater amounts of RAM (64 bit Home basic 8GB, 64 bit Home Premium 16 GB, 64 bit Business, Enterprise and Ultimate 128GB while ALL 32 bit versions max out at under 4 GB).

Disadvantages are that 32 bit apps are not any faster even with the added memory, some 32 bit apps are not fully compatible and must be run in XP Mode, doesn't handle 16 bit apps at all (DOS subsystem is no longer present at all), no support for 32 bit drivers, mandatory driver signing, manufacturer's often opt to not update drivers so you have to get compatible peripherals.

XP 64 bit is not "based on the Windows server 2003 kernel" any more than XP 32 bit is "based on" the 32 bit Windows server 2003. 64 bit versions of XP and Windows server were simply first generation and didn't sell to very many individuals or businesses for several reasons chief of which is that hardly any manufacturer's wrote any 64 bit drivers for their peripherals except for the really high end peripherals and software publishers weren't offering much in the way of apps optimized for a 64 bit OS so a fair amount of the actual 64 bit software that is out there doesn't run very well if at all on the older 64 bit XP.

To summarize all that, if you are staying with Windows XP stay with the 32 bit version to avoid MANY, MANY problems. If you opt to upgrade to Windows 7 go with the 64 bit and more RAM UNLESS YOU HAVE LEGACY 16 BIT APPLICATIONS that you need to run.

PS - you might note that mandatory driver signing is noted as both a pro and a con because sometimes it is a pain in the gluteous maximus.

Collapse -
Answer
While I've moved off XP x32 and x64.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 11:43 AM PST

There are folk that have no reason to change. Here I have app development to do and can use the new systems. Also, no client is on XP anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
A layman's answer
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 7:12 PM PST

I'm the layman!

I moved from a 32 bit computer with XP to a new 64 bit computer with Vista first then Windows 7 and to be honest I haven't seen any difference in how applications work. My new system is faster anyway so it is difficult to quantify how much better, or worse, a 64 bit OS is. My Windows 7 is much more stable than XP was, but even XP was very stable for me.

When I moved to this new system I didn't worry about programs and applications, I started afresh, and so I haven't had any compatibility problems.

I would say this. If your computer's processor is 'single core', then it might be time to move to a newer one which has multiple cores anyway. Having two or more cores seems to spread the load for Windows' background tasks and while many single core older XP systems will run newer Windows' OSes, (some won't), I'm guessing that the single core will be taxed more, whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit. But as a layman I cannot justify my claim technically.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you everyone!
by Ray_XP / February 5, 2012 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: A layman's answer

I would like to thank everyone for there input, it has been invaluable and I have considered it all. In the end I have decided to go ahead and stick with XP x86 because of it's smaller size on the HDD & because it seems to run better than 7 x64 on my single core processor. Thank you all and I look forward to hearing from all of you again in the community.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.