Phones forum

Question

Which is better - Samsung Galaxy S iii mini or Galaxy S ii?

by madmermaid / April 21, 2013 11:51 AM PDT

Hello! Former Blackberry user, would like to buy my first Android phone.

I'll be on Cincinnati Bell, roaming a lot.

The two most important factors: I would ideally not be a slave to a low battery life, and would like a fairly good camera.

I like smaller phones, these seem to be fairly similar in size.

Also, the S iii mini seems to be going for $275, and the S ii for roughly $315.

From just reading this: http://www.compare-cellphones.org/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-Mini-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II

it seems that the S ii has a faster processor, faster data, etc, but would that kill the battery faster than on the S iii mini?

The S iii mini has Jelly Bean and the S ii seems to be on ICS.

As for connection speed, I might be throttled a lot for roaming so I am not putting too much emphasis on it.

Any thoughts on which one is better? Is the S ii worth a little more money?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is better - Samsung Galaxy S iii mini or Galaxy S ii?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is better - Samsung Galaxy S iii mini or Galaxy S ii?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Right there on that page are the reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 11:55 AM PDT

But you didn't reveal if you would use the features. I do use the 1080p playback but some might not. Also, the lower power for the display is noted but forget all that. Go get a review with battery times.

As to the OS. I rarely find it matters on an Android phone. But newer is preferred by most.
Bob

Collapse -
battery life
by madmermaid / April 21, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply.

That's my issue, though--opinions about battery life seem to vary wildly for these phones. I've found both good and bad comments about both, so I was hoping there might be someone out there who has experience with both phones in order to compare firsthand, or at least more knowledge of Android phones in general than I have.

I'd probably use the video sometimes, but not constantly. Mostly I'd be surfing, streaming music, texting, photos, calling, using various apps. Probably average use.

Anyone have thoughts on which phone might have better battery life? I'm leaning toward the S iii mini because it's cheaper, but if anyone out there thinks the Galaxy S ii is worlds beyond the S iii mini (or vice versa), do tell!

Collapse -
It's not opinion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: battery life

I can push battery time around by turning on everything. Your reply makes me think you need more time to absorb it all.

Battery life is not battery time in the strictest sense. Batteries tend to be about 300 cycle affairs so about 1 to 2 years life span.
Bob

Collapse -
Which is better - Samsung Galaxy S iii mini or Galaxy S ii?
by Carlton102 / May 1, 2013 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: battery life

Not a lot of difference,
I'd choose based on which 'shape' you like

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idP...

in fact , the S2 has 4.2 screen and the S2 mini 4.0
but same 480 x 800 pixels

later versions of S2 could be upgraded to 4.0 Android (although come with 2.3)
S2 mini starts with 4.0

in many ways, the S2 was a better phone except for the 2.3 Android (still very good)
There is an S2 plus about to be released, but no details yet

Collapse -
Answer
samsung galaxy s2 versus s3
by carithomas5141 / April 22, 2013 11:31 PM PDT

Hello,
You can blindly use galaxy s2 bcoz it is faster than galaxy s3 mini also s2 have great features as compared to s3.

Thanks...

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Galaxy s3 mini and Galaxy s2 specifications
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.