Cameras forum

Resolved Question

Which is better for use w/computer: Eye-fi or Transcend wifi

by purdychelle / September 30, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

What I really want to be able to use the wifi SD card for is when I take a picture, I want it to automatically upload to my account. I don't care about it going to a cell phone or tablet. I want to be able to access it right away on my computer through my Dropbox account. Can I do this with either or both of the Eye-fi or the Transcend wifi SD cards (or even the cheaper EZ Share)? And how easy is it? Which is better? Do they both allow for automatic upload while you're taking pictures? and can you take pictures anywhere and it'll upload to my account? or do I need to be by my computer? or is there a better option for this? I just got a new Canon A2300 for my birthday. I would really, really appreciate any help so much!!! Thank you! Happy

purdychelle has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is better for use w/computer: Eye-fi or Transcend wifi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is better for use w/computer: Eye-fi or Transcend wifi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by purdychelle

Collapse -
I have at my desk a Canon a1300 with EyeFi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 4:25 AM PDT

Sorry but I set it up STOCK and DEFAULTS and it autouploads just dandy to the default folders.

I'm going to shortchange you here since what EyeFi uploads to is all documented but let me tackle how it uploads when out and about.

-> It only will attach to wifi spots you configured it to. So that means that when I get back to the office I only need to turn the camera on and the photos are uploaded. When I turn on my PC the EyeFi software there grabs the photos.
Hope this helps,

Collapse -
EyeFi link about to dropbox
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 4:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
by purdychelle / September 30, 2013 5:19 AM PDT

Thank you so much!! I didn't see that before! Happy

Collapse -
by purdychelle / September 30, 2013 5:20 AM PDT

Very helpful, thank you!! Happy

Collapse -
I'm giving the nod to EyeFi
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
I use the RAVPower filehub for wireless media streaming
by slakeytale / October 7, 2013 7:38 PM PDT

I have one of the RAVPower filehub for wireless media streaming. It's an all-in-one device that works as a wireless SD card reader, USB external HDD/SDD /USB flash disk reader, NAS file server, Wi-Fi hot spot and 3000mAh backup battatery. Insert your SD card in the filehub, you will be able to transfer or share the files on it. My friends and I once used it to stream video on five devices at the same time, there was no problem. It's amazing. More than that, it saves life at some situation with it's battery pack.
Not to mention that pretty cheap on Amazon.

Collapse -
I have the prior gen Kingston WiDrive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2013 9:16 PM PDT

I see they have a new model "Kingston Digital MobileLite Wireless Flash Reader for Smartphones and Tablets (MLW221)" which must be what replaced the WiDrive.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.