Cameras forum

General discussion

Which is better DSLR camera?

by yaankita / May 9, 2010 9:53 PM PDT

I am thinking of buying a new DSLR camera. I would like to know which is the best brand between Nikon, Canon and Olympus in terms of features that I am looking for.Features are listed below and your answers can help me out in taking right decision.
1. Which is better in terms of Quality of Camera?Nikon(N)/Canon(C)/olympus(O)
2. Which of them is better in terms of ease of taking photographs?
3. Which of them is better in terms of Quality of Photos taken?
4. Which among them takes better quality photographs at high ISO?
5. Which among them takes better quality photographs under normal light/low light?
6. Which among them takes better quality photographs with flash?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which is better DSLR camera?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which is better DSLR camera?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DSLR Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 10, 2010 1:05 AM PDT

It sounds like you are looking for a magic camera.
One that requires no manual intervention to provide excellent results.
"ease of taking photographs?"

Since you did not mention any particular model of camera, you are asking a general question.
Such as: "Which is better; Chrysler, Ford, General Motors?".

The advantage of any DSLR camera is to give the photographer more control over the camera.
If you want the camera to do all the work, you will be disappointed.

Collapse -
D-SLR choices
by hjfok / May 10, 2010 6:29 AM PDT

The quality of images depends more on the photographer and the lens choices than the exact brand and model.

You start off with what kind of image and effect you want to create, then you pick your lens and accessories to create the effect you want. And you study the best angle and perspective to capture the image, and then you wait for the right lighting (or use strobes and gel to create the lighting/color you want), and take the shot. The depth of field, shutter speed, lighting and exposure, angle of view, selective focus point etc all play important roles in making a good image. You are the one who has to decide on these factors to make the best photo, not the camera. The cameras can help you to meter and calculate some of the parameters, but they can be wrong.

Most D-SLR camera bodies in the same category have similar capabilities and performance, and they are getting better with each new generation. Today's entry level D-SLR has more features and capabilities than some of the mid-range D-SLRs several years ago. You really will not be able to tell the difference in performance between Nikon and Canon. If you want a smaller camera with SLR capabilities, then the Olympus and Panasonic micro 4/3 come in smaller package but they also have smaller sensor size. If you want the best low light performance, then you may want to consider the full frame D-SLRs with larger sensors. If you want to have built-in image stabilization to save some money on lenses, then Sony and Pentax can be a consideration. Canon and Nikon have been the mainstream D-SLR for the serious amateurs and pros, you won't go wrong with either one.

The best thing to help you decide is to go to a professional camera shop, and try out the different models.

Collapse -
not olympus
by 40of50 / July 2, 2010 8:43 PM PDT

Depends on the model. Nikon and Canon seem to leapfrog each other and their own cameras now and again.

My personal view is either Nikon or Canon. I went for canon, but if I was buying into a system now I'd quite easily go either way.

However the Olympus OS lets it down in my view but I may well be on my own in thinking that.

Have you considered and ILC / EVIL camera like the sony NX3, Panasonic DMC GXXX or olpus PEN's?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.