Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Which instant-messaging application do you use the most?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / March 1, 2006 / 3:51 PM UTC

Which instant-messaging application do you use the most and why?

AOL Instant Messenger
MSN Messenger
Trillian
Yahoo Messenger
Other (what do you use?)
I don't use instant messaging (why not?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which instant-messaging application do you use the most?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which instant-messaging application do you use the most?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Trillian, the best all-in-one, IMO.
by John.Wilkinson / March 1, 2006 / 4:16 PM UTC
Collapse -
Better than Trillian...
by angrykeyboarder / March 3, 2006 / 4:47 AM UTC

is Gaim.

Collapse -
I Agree...much faster and compact that Trillian
by stealthguitar / March 3, 2006 / 5:47 AM UTC

just try GAIM....for me....for us all Wink Google Gaim then find Gaim plugins. I'm just all for things on my computer being good, yet small and compact at the same time because there's so much else to run!

Collapse -
I'm not with you 100% on the small/compatt stuff.
by angrykeyboarder / March 3, 2006 / 4:48 PM UTC

the ever popular WinAMP is too small for my taste. I'm not fond of a software representation of a Stereo Amplifier and a (microscopically sized one at that). Not to mention I like my GUI consistent across applications.

But I digress.....

Collapse -
Gaim rocks.
by scholi5 / March 3, 2006 / 10:44 AM UTC

Only support lacking is google chat. And since the author works for google, it won't be long.

Collapse -
Gaim rox AND supports Google Chat
by anime4christ / March 3, 2006 / 12:37 PM UTC
In reply to: Gaim rocks.

That's right, Google Talk uses the Jabber protocol, and Gaim supports Jabber as well.

Collapse -
Gggogle chat is jabber?
by scholi5 / March 3, 2006 / 7:50 PM UTC

Didn't know that. Jabber is primarily what I use gaim for, the fact it also supports AOL, MSN, Yahoo, and ICQ is just icing on the cake.

Makes sense though that Google would use a standard instead of a proprietary protocol.

Collapse -
I mostly use MSN
by Sadler / March 6, 2006 / 3:30 PM UTC

But I do use Yahoo and AOL for some contacts, and I have ICQ but rarely use it, same with Mirq. That's it in a nutshell, I use MSN becuase most of my IM contacts are on it.

Collapse -
Trillian is the best out of all of them
by Warmachine021 / March 3, 2006 / 11:11 AM UTC

Trillian is the best out of all of them because it lets you do things that others don't like use AOL, MSN at the same time be invisible, look at peoples away messages without clicking on them and ETC

Collapse -
Trillian is best I have tried so far
by AllennellA / March 3, 2006 / 1:59 PM UTC

Why? Because I have to keep up communications with clients and friends using ICQ, AIM, MSN and Yahoo.

AND I need to maintain message history for invoicing purposes. ICQ does this, but AIM did not, nor does MSN & Yahoo. With Trillian, I can keep history on all, plus the other features mentioned on other posts.

The only drawback is that occasionally, I noticed that ICQ and AIM (both AOL products) make changes which effectively prevent the use of a 3rd party client until a fix is released. This is aggravating to say the least. If they would just all get together on a common protocol, it might make things easier. But until that happens (which is probably NEVER), then a 3rd party client is the way to go.

Have not tried GAIM yet.... may have to check it out.

Collapse -
Trillian is con
by RedNando / March 14, 2006 / 6:58 AM UTC

Trillian is a piece of crap unless you pay for it.

Collapse -
Trillian, All-In-One Lite Package
by lateball / March 2, 2006 / 12:49 AM UTC

Since I usually don't do much other than chatting with Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger before Trillian came, I decided to use Trillian once it is finally there, starting from Trillian 2 and now Trillian 3.1. Trillian offers basic capabilities such as chatting and file transfers, but does not offer the higher native features of the full Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger.

If I need those features, then I usually switch to the full messenger (yep, I have the full Yahoo and MSN Messenger installed too, but rarely use it). Sometimes when the need arise to do a voice conversation, I closed my Trillian and switched to my Yahoo Messenger, but only sometimes I do this. For those who needs basic features of those multiple messengers in one package, then Trillian will surely fit most of their needs without too much hassle.

Collapse -
I use
by Veeger / March 3, 2006 / 1:34 AM UTC

I don't care for MSN.

I use Yahoo because my daughter who lives on the other side of the country wants me to have voice contact with my three grandaughters. Yahho, gives me both voice or text and it's easy to use. Also because I have a YahooGroup for a bunch of old retired Air Force Cops, so it works hand in hand for that as well.

I use mIRC because it's fun, and I can have a private room restricted to only family, and another for friends, and I can monitor/use both at the same time.

I've used AOL and it's pretty much the same as Yahoo. I just don't use it because the majority of time I am using IM is with others who use Yahoo.

I have used Trillian, and it is fairly easy to use, but since I generally only use Yahoo, or mIRC, it's pointles to have a program which will handle all the IM systems. Also, I got tired back when I used it, of the IM services changing things in order to block trillian out.

I have ICQ, but never use it.

Collapse -
What is your trick for a private IRC room, Veeger?
by chhilliewillie / March 3, 2006 / 2:39 AM UTC
In reply to: I use

How do you keep a channel private in IRC?

I enjoy chatting in IRC channels, especially the technically oriented ones on the Freenode network, but I always assume that strangers are listening.

For IM - I use Jabber (Google Talk.)

Collapse -
It's pretty easy
by ktwilson86 / March 3, 2006 / 10:33 AM UTC

All you have to do is create a room with a password on it... that will keep pretty much everyone who doesn't have the password out, the only trick would be password control(if you tell someone the password, they can pretty easily tell someone else). While this wont be a 'secure' (encrypted) form of chat, it's probably good enough for most purposes.

Collapse -
re
by gordenbutler / July 8, 2009 / 7:43 PM UTC

Gaim.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) GaduGadu - the most popular masanger in Poland
by rumimoss / March 3, 2006 / 1:49 AM UTC
Collapse -
Skype -
by Tintop / March 3, 2006 / 1:55 AM UTC

Because my friends and family use it, and we can switch to voice if needed.

Collapse -
Skype rules!
by TreknologyNet / March 3, 2006 / 5:32 AM UTC
In reply to: Skype -

I use Skype mainly as an international telephone.

I am not a fan of instant messaging--When in the middle of a critical function (editing, eBay bidding, or any other time precious job), I really hate casual popups getting in the way--even the time just to click back to the important project (like winning that HD video camera for a mere $10), can cost critical seconds.

Collapse -
Skype is the future
by jillint / March 3, 2006 / 8:06 AM UTC

IM , Files, and Phone all in one easy place. This is the future all in one -- Mr. Lipstick

Collapse -
Skype was the first...
by rogge09 / March 3, 2006 / 8:37 AM UTC

A lot of people don't know this, but thanks to the UK, Skype was actually the first free Internet telephony software. That's why its the fastest, easiest and clearest out of them all. MSN, AIM, all the others based thier technology from Skype.

So far, all the others haven't been able to get full rights to using Skype's technology. That might be another reason why Skype is still the best Internet telephony/Instant Messenger on the web!

hmmmmm.

Collapse -
Skype rules!, but Internetcalls is cheaper that SkypeOut
by kjellr / March 6, 2006 / 2:12 AM UTC

I am a Skype fan myself, and can only agree with everything nice that has been said about it. However, when it comes to computer-to-phone calls (to Marc Bennet's mom, for example), where Skype offers its ''SkypeOut'' service, there is a much cheaper alternative: Internetcalls (a variant of Voicebuster) which at present offers significantly lower rates that SkypeOut and free (yes, FREE) calls to more than 40 countries.

Collapse -

Introduced to Skype by my stepchildren. Skype chat works well and recipients don't need to be online to add to chat, you just pick up the "instant messaging" aspect when they are.

Collapse -
IM
by geomurray / March 3, 2006 / 2:07 AM UTC

As an MCSE technician I find it more secure. I have tried them all and though I don't use it that much I feel safer with it. It is monitored better than any of the others. This is why most people who talk to the underage group use AOL because its not monitored nearly as much as it should be.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You find "what" more secure???
by bfawlty / March 3, 2006 / 9:22 AM UTC
In reply to: IM
Collapse -
MSN Messnger number one??
by PatrynXX / March 3, 2006 / 2:10 AM UTC

Yikes. I think not. First off I've been told by teachers in the tech department to remove that thing off every computer I see it on. Second it's virus prone from what I've heard. Only reason I've used it is to get the headlines. I have everything else blocked. AOL is a pain. Especially lately...when we can actually sign on into it. Yahoo is the most happy type. Love it's emoticons from beyond. Although Trillian is probably the most useful. I tried Grouper for awhile, but it's a resource hog.

Collapse -
agree somewhat
by dhruv84 / March 3, 2006 / 2:17 AM UTC

that MSN msngr. is prone to viruses easily slipping through. But i have using yahoo msngr. for past 8 years and i must say that it has improved with time and I would certainly rate is as the number one IMHO, just coz of the fact that u can leave "offline messages" on it.
it is somehow very easy to access as compared to msn msngr. sign in as half the time message comes up saying this service is temporarily unavailable and that just sucks.

Collapse -
Accurate measure of ignorants: 28%
by Bingohanz / March 3, 2006 / 2:21 AM UTC

If you wote for MSN, you didn't try anything else or you are a completely brainwashed M$ zombie.

Not only does it compete on stupid features for kids. It's offensively commercial. And it censors words M$ doesn't like. I repeat: MSN CENSORS WORDS!!!

The best protocol is IRC. Unrivalled. Personally I log into it using SeaMonkey / ChatZilla, not mIRC.

The best UNIFIED instant messenger is perhaps GAIM. I've stuck to it becaus then I can use it with both Linux and Windows and the interface is plain. But maybe that's just me.

Collapse -
MSN has issues
by munk79 / March 3, 2006 / 6:40 AM UTC

Along with everything else. But I think that Messenger offers more capabilites than the others. I still use AIM (used it for bout 10 years now) and it is still primitive, if you ask me. MSn allows you to do a whole lot more. I've used Yahoo, but it's too "cutesy" and annoying. As far as the censoring thingi goes...I just used about every curse word in the book and they ALL went through....I repeat...they ALL went through. So I'm not sure what this "censor" thing you are talking about it is, Bingohanz......

Collapse -
Why MSN is most common? and why choose it...
by BEAKAA / March 4, 2006 / 4:32 AM UTC

I wouldn?t start by MSN Messenger being the best or whatever, but I would certainly say that MSN is a really good stuff to use if you want really good visual details etc. MSN messenger is colourful, attractive and thus pleasant to the eyes. If you are looking for such visual factors, then you must choose MSN Messenger. Besides, MSN has also many functionalities and versatility to boost up the emotional and sensational part behind just text. For example its emoticons which can move, the winks, voice stuffs (stuffs that can talk, for example, mwahaha-which sounds a laughing stuff) and much more. Besides MSN messenger is Microsoft, and you can expect the best products from them as they are continuously working to improve their products. Furthermore, there is not only the hand of Microsoft in that; there are upgrades and add-ons provided by other authors. For instance, I have installed the Patchou MSN messenger plus 3 which adds a world of functionality to instant messaging. The plug-ins as well makes IM really fun. The PluginStuff-NG can steal display pics, tell you who has blocked you or deleted you, amongst others. If you are looking for such functionalities, choose MSN messenger! Note however that MSN Mess doesn?t work on Linux. You can register a .NET passport on MSN M. A .NET passport is either an @hotmail.com or an @msn.com addy. Mine is nuker_blazed@hotmail.com -do send a mail if you wanna ask me some questions or refute what I have just written here; id be glad to hear from you. I have even tried to register my yahoo addy also on MSN M. I can chat with people having hotmail addys using MSN M. You can do so providing you have registered you yahoo addy as credentials on the MSN website (am not gonna explain how to do it here, but if you want to know, drop a message). I have tried the GAIM on a live linux CD, and found that MSN M is much better and much more easy to use. The icons on Gaim were difficult to understand, sometimes the cross on the buddy was on the upper hand and sometime on the lower one, which means that they implied two different things, and I could know which one. I should point out that if you are a newbie in IM, use msn messenger, you are more likely to find help being more popular, and more discussed in forums. However the downside with MSN M is that is consumes a lot of resources. This goes to say that, if you have a slow pc, with relatively little RAM (memory), try something else. In this case, if u wanna use a Microsoft stuff, then use windows messenger which is built in most windows I suppose. I have a 3.2ghz cpu, with 512 mb Ram and MSN Messenger runs fine. In the occurrence of any problem the built in troubleshooter corrects them. Well, I hope that the information was valuable, do drop a message if you found it interesting ?nuker_blazed@hotmail.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon