TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Which HDTV is best for Xbox360?

by Stonecold316 / March 26, 2007 12:21 PM PDT

I have an Xbox 360 and I was thinking about getting the new Sharp Aquos LC37GP1U or the Samsung LN-S3251D.Which would be best?The Sharp LC37GP1U has a faster response time then the Samsung however Samsung has a gaming enhanced mode which is why I can't decide between the two.The Xbox 360 has an update that supports 1080p but it doesn't have an HDMI.So could it upscale games to 1080i or 1080p with the Component HD AV Cable onto one of the TV's I mentioned or Should I wait to see if Microsoft makes an Xbox360 with HDMI and choose a 1080p HDTV?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which HDTV is best for Xbox360?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which HDTV is best for Xbox360?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would get the Samy ...
by givemeaname / March 26, 2007 1:33 PM PDT

because Sharp has had problems with banding, other then that Sharp makes good LCD's

Collapse -
SONY'S 34 INCH CRT........BEST BLACKS.....720p & 1080i.....
by Riverledge / March 26, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

GO FOR IT!!! KD-34XBR970 less than a thou. Sometimes $799.00 The way its built, would take 3 people to steal. Will do PlayStation/3 with no problem.

river.

Collapse -
I have
by hyghwayman / March 26, 2007 2:43 PM PDT

the XBR970 and the 360 looks incredible, pluss I just read Microsoft is gunna issue a 3rd 360 w/ HDMI 1200gb HD and poss. the 65 chip.
This TV is just awsome, PQ is very good even w/ analog, OTA HD is out of this world!

Happy hunting,
hyghwayman

Collapse -
dont stress to much
by widojofus / March 27, 2007 6:35 AM PDT

they r both great tvs

Collapse -
DON'T BUY A SHARP, YOU MUST KNOW THE SAYING..........
by Riverledge / March 27, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: dont stress to much

"SHARPS AREN'T THAT SHARP" SAMSUNGS have their plus and minuses.

river.

Collapse -
Not sure but.....
by tazzmissionx / March 27, 2007 2:45 PM PDT

The GP1U series has a technology called Vyper Drive that is suppose to eliminate input lag. This is the main difference between this series and the D62U series, you can save yourself around 2-300 dollars by going with the D62U series.

Collapse -
And in addition to my previous post...
by tazzmissionx / March 27, 2007 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Not sure but.....

The Xbox 360 Elite will be out at the end of next month if an Xbox 360 with HDMI is important to you.

Collapse -
Xbox uses Samsung in all retail stores...
by Mr__S / March 28, 2007 5:48 AM PDT

Stonecold316 -

I am bias because I work at Samsung but I wanted you to know that Microsoft uses Samsung HDTVs in every retail store around the US to demonstrate the Xbox360. If Xbox selected Samsung as their official HDTV to show the incredible graphics of the Xbox360, you should feel very safe buying a Samsung for your Xbox360. In addition ? have you seen the CNET review of the Samsung LN-S3251D? It was highest rated 720p LCD HDTV in 2006. It?s also the coolest looking TV on the marketing (in my opinion).

Good luck,

Mr. Samsung

Collapse -
uh
by bevillan / March 28, 2007 7:34 AM PDT

You do realize that Samsung offered the best deal to Microsoft to use their HDTVs for the 360 kiosks and not because they are great TVs. I'm sure the process went something like this: MS team lists brand name HDTV makers, team sends out price quotes requests on HDTVs for their kiosks, HDTV makers send back quotes, MS picks lowest bidder.

You don't honestly think Microsoft took 20 models of HDTVs from various brand name companies and did an indepth analysis into which one was 'perfect' for the 360 do you?

Collapse -
Always a balance...
by Mr__S / March 29, 2007 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: uh

bearvp -

With any arrangement like this, there is always a financial part to the agreement. But I find it highly unlikely that Microsoft would select an HDTV to put in every Xbox 360 kiosk across the entire country based solely on it being the best deal. They had to trust that a Samsung HDTV would deliver a top quality HD picture. Don?t you agree?

I'm not saying Samsung is the absolute best HDTV for gaming but it is clearly one of the best. And if Microsoft feels comfortable using Samsung to showcase their first HD gaming console, then people can be comfortable with a decision to use a Samsung HDTV for their gaming.

Collapse -
Samsung HDTV
by Stonecold316 / March 28, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

I know that microsoft chose Samsung and made a gaming enhanced mode.However Samsung doesn't have a 32inch or 37 inch HDTV with 1080p which is what I want.I will need it for when I get the Xbox Elite on April 29.

Collapse -
game modes
by bevillan / March 28, 2007 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung HDTV

I have a game mode on my SXRD but it doesn't have any noticable picture quality benefit. Even the reviewers at cnet tend to think that the "game mode" on HDTVs is useless.

Collapse -
true...
by Mr__S / March 29, 2007 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung HDTV

Stonecold -

You are right. We don't have a 1080p model under 40". Do you have a size restriction where you are putting your TV? I don't believe the Xbox elite upconverts to 1080p - right?

I've only played Xbox a few times at a friend's house. Do you recommend it? I'm thinking of getting one but now I might wait until the elite is out.

Collapse -
QUESTION FOR MR. SAMSUNG?
by stewart norrie / March 28, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

Sounds like your are da man. When I bought my Toshiba a year ago it was a toss up between your samsung and my t.v. they both were d.l.p. sets and seemed to both put out a stunning picture could not tell any difference I need your opinion about d.l.p. I always get bashed when I state that my d.l.p. set has a much sharper picture than the SONY the picture on the Sony is nice but way to soft lacking detail your opinion please before I get beheaded please reply steweeee well gone to play poker thjanks steweweee

Collapse -
DLPs have a great picture
by Mr__S / March 29, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

Stewart -

Are you comparing your DLP to Sony's LCD Projection TV or Sony's SXRD? CNET and Sound&Vision both tested DLP vs LCD projection and if I remember correctly, they both felt DLP was better. However that was before Sony launched their SXRD projection TVs. SXRD projection TVs look really nice. I'm not sure if CNET compared SXRD vs DLP. I just tried to do a search and didn't find anything for you.

That being said, SXRD are expensive projection TVs. On Sony Style, a 60" 1080p SXRD TV is around $3,800. Samsung's 56" 1080p DLP (HL-S5687W) is around $2,000. Sony's TV was rated a little better on CNET but I don't feel it's worth the additional cost. DLP TVs are awesome. I bought my parents a 61" DLP a few years ago and the picture is still incredible (and it's a 720p!). So I can understand if you are very happy with your DLP (and still have some extra money in your pocket to play a little poker... haha...)

If I find anything else on this topic, I'll send it along.

Later,

Mr Samsung

Collapse -
Best TV for XBOX 360
by adlieb / March 28, 2007 10:40 PM PDT

So I've seen the 360 now on many different sets. IF you're looking for a set 37" and under, two models that you might want to check out are the Hitachi 37" HLX99, that is there 37" Director's Series LCD. This TV is just amazing, in terms of its connectivity (3 HDMI ports), as well as it's operation (120 HRZ refresh rate, good for 24P, 30, and 60 fps sources.

Another set you may want to look for is the high end Sony KDL32XBR2. I think in the 32" range, this is hands down the best looking set on the market. Compared to the Sony 2010 model (their Standard 720P LCD line), the XBR delivers considerably better color, contrast, pixel refresh, and Anti-artifacting performance.

I love both of these sets, and if you want a flat panel and don't mind paying the Premium, the 360 looks great on both.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.