TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

which HDTV has best tuner

by sfmagoo / May 24, 2011 9:23 AM PDT

I'm going to get rid of my cable and start viewing free TV over the airwaves via an antenna.
So, tuner reception is important to me.
Does anyone know which brand has the best tuner?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: which HDTV has best tuner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: which HDTV has best tuner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
which HDTV has best tuner
by 3coursedinner / May 24, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

Are you also trading your car in for a Ford Pinto?

Collapse -
like comparing apples to rotten eggs
by sfmagoo / May 25, 2011 1:58 AM PDT

While it may seem old fashioned, over the air HD television is a better signal both video and audio than cable or even satellite.
The Ford Pinto was never a good car. The only measure of any success was the number sold, not it's quality, safety or longevity.
So, I'm one of those people who look for quality and try not to get swept up in ideas purely because of quantity of subscibers.

Collapse -
My guess is that...
by ahtoi / May 24, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

there are probably no test/review on tuner of tv. Even if there are difference, it probably isn't that much of a difference. Your best bet is to concentrate on the antenna system. Good luck.

Collapse -
I humbly disagree
by jabailey8874 / May 22, 2013 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: My guess is that...

I have 2 Panasonic plasma sets; one was a high end, the other a more competitive model. In addition, I have a Toshiba LCD set in the same size. Both of the Panasonics have excellent pictures- when they can pull them in. Interestingly, the cheaper model brings in more stations than the higher end model. The Toshiba brings in 8 more channels than the two aforementioned tvs. I quit giving my hard earned money to cable and satellite companies over a year ago. OTA antenna is great... and free. There is absolutely a difference in tuner ability, and I ended up here because like the original poster, I too am shopping for a new tv - and in our case the tuner does matter. I am in a fringe area, so have a fringe antenna with a pre-amp. I have hooked up all 3 sets to the same splitter to see if that was the issue, but nope - it's the tuners.

Collapse -
Cheap Components
by PistonCupChampion / May 24, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

I'm not sure any independent reviews actually tests the tuners, and I would guess the manufacturers use the cheapest components they can get away with since over-the-air reception is much less common these days.

Collapse -
much less common
by sfmagoo / May 24, 2011 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Cheap Components

watching TV over the air is much less common but it has two very important advantages.
1: after paying for the antenna, and TV of course, it's FREE and,
2: it's a better HD picture, period. The only thing better is blu-ray.

Collapse -
No Argument
by PistonCupChampion / May 24, 2011 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: much less common

I do not disagree that it is cheap and you would get a great picture. I am merely saying it is not an important specification to most consumers, and by extension, not important to the manufacturers. Regardless, the antenna you use and its location is going to be much more critical for good reception than the tuner.

Collapse -
While we need to define "best"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 2:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
HD Antenna
by Dan Filice / May 25, 2011 3:48 AM PDT

Interesting antenna. Just curious, using a local antenna, how many HD channels can you get? I always assumed that reception would be limited to the stations that are broadcasting OTA in HD, like CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS and a handful of local stations that broadcast in HD. I always thought about using my rooftop antenna, but worried that I would get depressed if I missed my 25 HD channels like HDNET, SmithsonianHD, DiscoveryHD, HistoryChannelHD, NatGeoHD, ESPNHD, FoxSportsHD, etc, etc. I think I like TV too much to only get local HD channels. I need my HDTV fix.

Collapse -
I have both . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 25, 2011 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: HD Antenna

My 55" Sony SXRD is connected to my Dish Network receiver via HDMI, and the TV's HD antenna port is connected to my (standard, not like Bob's) roof top antenna. Here in Dallas I get a ton of local stations.

And I wonder if sfmagoo has ever really seen a good HD program on satellite. I can tell no difference on any of my five HD TVs.

Collapse -
Over a dozen here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: HD Antenna

But where I live I get a few old channels from Mexico that are still alive! They didn't shutdown!

Collapse -
hdtv tuner
by unclebob44 / October 8, 2011 6:51 PM PDT

isymphony has a lousy tuner.3 channels,my old sony gets 29-so i sent the isymphony back

Collapse -
HD TV Tuner Comparison
by jubalsams / October 15, 2014 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: hdtv tuner

Beleve me you dumb ****, 1080i looks much better than what you get on cable at 512p (NTSC), OTA aint bad! Course the programming is: well what do you expect for free.

As far as tuners for OTA in America: looks like Magnavox(only a 19" i tested) and the verenable SONY TV, SONY seems to blow the socks off all others when it comes to TUNERS...more sensitive, more programmable and more stable. Go test it yourself! I bought 3 Samsungs and had to return them all because of defective or ineffective tuners...test them yourself for OTA if you don't believe me.

Collapse -
by Pepe7 / October 15, 2014 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: HD TV Tuner Comparison

Where are you pulling that number from?

BTW, the post you replied to is from 2011. We are using ATSC now. And not all of that is 1080i.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.