Desktops forum

General discussion

Which Gateway to buy? With or without TV tuner/remote

by sfjoyboy / August 7, 2005 5:54 AM PDT

I want to use my new pc to record tv shows, burn cd's and dvd's, digital photography and eventually video. I'm seriuously considering buying this package (17'' LCD, Canon printer)which doesn't have a TV tuner/remote for $999:

? Pentium

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Gateway to buy? With or without TV tuner/remote
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Gateway to buy? With or without TV tuner/remote
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by damasta55r / August 7, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

The tv-tuner one. Because 830=2x3.0ghz and 820=2x2.8ghz. But i do believe that both contains a tv-tuner.

Collapse -
Nope, no tv tuner on 835GM!
by sfjoyboy / August 7, 2005 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

I was actually at Best Buy the other day and asked why the 840GM was $200 more and the salesman told me because of the slightly newer/faster processor and because it had the TV tuner card where the 835GM did not (he even turned the thing around and checked). I thought this was totally ******** for a thousand dollar ''media pc'' to not have the card already. After all, isn't being able to watch and record TV the biggest feature of using XP Media Center?

Collapse -
by damasta55r / August 7, 2005 10:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
tuner/best buy bites!
by sfjoyboy / August 7, 2005 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Thanks for the links, masta. I just got back from BB (I hate that place. Third time there, third bad experience with sales help.) So I was gonna shell out the extra $200 for the 840GM and I realized they jacked up the price to $1399! It was on sale for $1229 on Wednesday and the tag said sale price good thru 08/13. I even got the sales guy to confirm this and I told him I'd be back to buy it this weekend. The guy today tells me their sale always ends on Saturday and a new one begins on Sunday. Whatever! While I was waiting for some help I actually took a peak at an HP with Media Center and I really didn't like the way it works anyway. All those giant icons and step by step instructions on how to do stuff like play a CD or look at your digital photos. It's like they designed MC for complete retards!
I guess it was a blessing in disguise that the sale ended. I'm gonna start re-shopping for another pc with XP home and just buy a tuner card.
Thanks again for the links!

Collapse -
the 830gm
by AKonny47 / August 7, 2005 7:01 AM PDT

yes. it will include a remote and the IR connector. go the 830gm.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.