Samsung

General discussion

Which flat screen TV's have replaceable projector bulbs?

by scottscreek0 / December 9, 2009 12:42 AM PST

I own a Samsung LTN406W LCD TV that has developed dark smudge-like vertical streaks in the picture after just five year's use. The tech Samsung sent to my house ($150 for 15 min. on the job!)told me immediately when he looked at the TV that it was not repairable, because the projector bulb and panel are one unit in this model. I was not aware that some LCD TV's were built this way and thought the projector bulbs in all of them could be replaced when they started to fail. I am currently shopping for a replacement flat screen TV no larger thn 50"W by 30" high by 4.5" deep that will fit in my plasma lift console. Which current Samsung models are the most repairable (ie. have replaceable projector bulbs)and have the best repair record? While I doubt I'll buy another Samsung, I thought I'd give you a chance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which flat screen TV's have replaceable projector bulbs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which flat screen TV's have replaceable projector bulbs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which flat screen TV's have replaceable projector bulbs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 9, 2009 6:18 AM PST

scottscreek0,

I actually took a bit to go research this and look at our parts manual for this unit. The tech, unfortunately, is correct. There isn't a "projector bulb", per se, but I did check to see if the light source could be replaced without replacing the panel, and the answer was no.

The lamps in today's LCDs are CCFL backlit (or in some case, Edge Lit or LED backlit), which now has its own assembly, and allows the light source to be replaced. Most effective would likely be the LNxxBxxx LCD series, both in terms of repair and cost effectiveness. EdgeLit LCDs can be repaired, but it's a precise technology, and LED backlit may be considerably more expensive. I don't have figures handy, but I would imagine the CCFL-backlit LCD would be the most cost-effective repair. I appreciate your comments, and wish there was a way that I could earn your business. However, I have no ability to either fix the panel or refund the service charge.

Many 50", and even 56" panels can fit in a 50" wide width, but I'd definitely recommend bringing along a tape measure, as the size of the bezel may determine that.

Best,

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice
by scottscreek0 / December 9, 2009 10:05 PM PST

Thank you for taking the time to research both the available repair parts for my current TV and possible Samsung replacement units. Although I didn't ask, your confirmation of the repair tech's diagnosis gives me some comfort. I'll definitely check out the model series you recomended, although "once bitten, twice shy." This was an expensive lesson at even half off the full retail price, the remanufactured LTN406W cost me $3,000. back in 2004. The worrisome part of all this is up until now I had been happy with my Samsung and based on my recommendations one of my friends and my in-laws bought Samsungs! I certainly hope their TV's last longer than mine did and when they do start to fail can be repaired.

Collapse -
LN46B750 backlight replacement
by scottscreek0 / December 11, 2009 1:37 AM PST

Well I've spent the past 2 days reviewing HDTV's on the Internet and I have to say that the Samsung LN46B750 seems to be the top rated ccfl lcd currently produced and it's within my price range. I'm going to look at one in a local store and measure it to make sure it will fit in my Plasma lift console although I'll buy it online to save some money. So I'm absolutely clear on this please confirm that the ccfl is separate from the panel and replaceable on this model so down the road I don't wind up with the same problem I have with my LTN406W. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Collapse -
LN46B750 backlight replacement
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 16, 2009 8:35 AM PST

scottscreek0,

Thanks for your patience while I investigated this. Please understand that this is not a normal inquiry, so I have to inquire with the experts.

From what I can gather, not even CCLF lamps can be replaced in the field, and this was news to me. Apparently, they require a "sanitized room" setting to do so. I stated earlier that I think it could be done, and I was wrong.

It's pretty rare that CCFLs need replacing, and while I can appreciate the concern, in most cases, this is not a standard repair. We will cover the set under warranty, and if this is a concern - and it seems to be - I might suggest purchasing an extended warranty. That way, if it can't be repaired, at least it can be replaced.

I hope this helps, and I hope I haven't caused any inconvenience.

Best,

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for "going the extra mile"
by scottscreek0 / December 17, 2009 3:03 AM PST

Thanks for "going the extra mile." I'm glad that you were able to also extend your knowledge base in the process of researching my question about replacing LCD CCFL bulbs. In the end I bought a Samsung PN50B650 plasma tv, since it gave me a 4in. larger screen, but still fit in my plasma lift console and was several hundred dollars cheaper.

Collapse -
Thanks for "going the extra mile"
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 19, 2009 9:50 AM PST

scottscreek0,

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you got something that works for you. If we can help further, let us know.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.