Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Which eCommerce platform for 500+ products?

by 84wTn / June 13, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

I really need some advice on which eCommerce platform to use for my business, I'm very confused at the minute as there are so many options and reviews saying different things.

My on-line store was originally built with Actinic which worked fine and had everything we wanted but looked dated.
An IT company built us a new site using WordPress and we've had no end of problems with it...a year on it's still not what we want on the front end and we're finding it hard to use at the back end as we cannot find where to edit certain things. This company is not much help to us either.
Another company has advised that we ditch WordPress and use Magento

My company has over 500 products, ships UK and internationally, has retail and trade customers so multiple prices for one product, some customers pay VAT some don't, some have a discount some don't. We accept payment via PayPal, direct debit and credit/debit cards
We need it to interface with Sage.
We are all beginners when it comes to web design.

I've noticed that there's a new eCommerce plug in for WordPress, is it worth us getting this and plodding on with it or are we just asking too much of WordPress and would we be better getting a new platform or do we just need more/different support/help?
If WordPress isn't for us, which one would be?!

Sorry this is long winded but wanted to try and give a full picture!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which eCommerce platform for 500+ products?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which eCommerce platform for 500+ products?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re" eCommerce
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 11:30 PM PDT

A dedicated webshop (like Magento, there are a lot of others also) certainly is much better than a general package like Wordpress, so that seems a good advice.

When you select your next IT-partner, be sure to ask for their portfolio. That should include at least a few webshops comparable to yours that you find nice-looking and well-working. Then contact the webshop owner to ask for a recommendation.

Collapse -
by 84wTn / June 16, 2013 6:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re" eCommerce

Thanks for your advise Kees_B, looks like we were correct in going for a different platform

Collapse -
by jennyfrancis / June 16, 2013 7:08 PM PDT

Sorry guys. I know now only read and check the about the topics.

Collapse -
by natylkab / June 17, 2013 3:18 AM PDT

I can recommend SiteCore, is not very popular CMS but I think will meet your needs.

Collapse -
ECommerce software suggestions
by InMotionHosting / June 17, 2013 3:22 AM PDT

Hello 84wTn !

I would steer away from Magento because its a very heavy resource intense eCommerce platform. With that many products, would need a VPS or Dedicated server to run it. There are many Open Source software eCommerce solutions out there that you can use with low costs and less server problems. See the list below.

Zen Cart
CubeCart WHMCS
PHP Point of Sale
phpCOIN Quick.cart

I recommend checking out Prestashop, OpenCart, or osCommerce. These are the most popular and have many plugins and compatible merchants available. The difference between them is how the Administrative panel is set up. Some people prefer one over the other. You can demo them at the following links.

If you have a cPanel hosting account with someone you can install these for free through Softaculouos. Or you can download them fro the website and install them manually.

Collapse -
by jennyfrancis / June 17, 2013 5:09 PM PDT

Thanks to all.This one very nice and useful information. thank to share the information.

Collapse -
by 84wTn / June 17, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

Thanks for your advice everyone

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.