E-readers forum

General discussion

Which E-reader?

by leslie1125 / January 31, 2010 2:16 AM PST

Hello,
I've been researching the different types of e-readers on the market and still don't know which to go with. My needs: good screen as my eyesight isn't the greatest; the ability to highlight or bookmark for notations.I'm a casual reader and usually take notes on what I'm reading or dog-tag a page(though I seldom reference them later).I use my library a lot for regular books so I would like that option with an e-reader as opposed to purchasing the book.

I like that Sony has the e pub format though I haven't found many of the e-books I'm looking for in libraries.The books in Sony's Reader store are more expensive.I looked at the e-readers in the store, all seemed sluggish and the screens didn't seem to be too great. I'm not sure if that's because they were test models.

Amazon seems to have the most titles I'm looking for and affordable.I looked at a friends Kindle2 which seems to have the best screen.

Barnes and Noble is in second for the books I'm looking for with the same price as Amazon and the screen seems to be ok. Again it was a test model so I don't know if that is why it was sluggish.

A big difference in each is that Sony offers a 10% student discount. I am unaware if the other retailers offer one or not.

Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which E-reader?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which E-reader?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Build it and they will come.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2010 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Which E-reader?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=How+to+read+epub+on+kindle

I read some rant about epub and how it was not on the Kindle. Just a little 2 minute research and I found a few solutions. Makes me wonder what the rant was about.

Ok.

Speed. Sorry speed is not a priority. Battery time and life is however.

Pub formats. Given a little research you can convert most stuff. Not going to write about DRM this year.

Kindle. Got it. Nice enough but I'm back to my laptop.
Bob
Collapse -
My take...
by make_or_break / February 4, 2010 6:44 PM PST

- My eyes generally HATE backlit LCDs so I DON'T read any of my Sony ebooks on my computer, period.

- Current Sony Readers don't seem all that sluggish to me compared to my old first-gen Sony. The touchscreen models seems particularly "okay" when it comes to its response, but the glare off their screens is horrendous. ePub might be Sony's flavor for now, but they've already abandoned one format within three years, so who knows what the future holds down the road for them if ePub doesn't score a lot of money for them?

- I like the Kindle's screen quite a bit; I bought one for my wife as an Xmas present and she adores the thing. I thought the on-off switch was rather flaky, but otherwise everything else it does seems good. Do however wish it was more versatile than what it's capable of currently. Here's hoping that the iPad shakes Amazon's tree a bit.

- The Nook IS sluggish, simply because it's got a lousy processor and it's very much the poster child, first-time effort from B&N. Looks great from afar, but in hands-on use I couldn't shake the feeling that the thing is a performance DOG. Perhaps Version 2 will be better.

Collapse -
I'm using Firefox but have IE6 SP3
by Darrell / February 5, 2010 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: My take...

I zoomed in twice on FF but IE has place were you can make the print larger.

Collapse -
(NT) Firefox does have cutomiztion but no letter sizing.Darrell
by Darrell / February 5, 2010 10:53 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: letter sizing in Firefox.
by Kees Bakker / February 5, 2010 10:56 PM PST

It sure has. Same as in IE: <ctrl>-key + mousewheel. Didn't you know?

Kees

Collapse -
ePub is standard on almost all eReaders now
by ebookanoid / August 3, 2010 4:05 PM PDT
In reply to: My take...

I am a bit at a loss to understand the implication that ePub is somehow a Sony format. In fact it is actually the effective world standard format, and almost all eReaders of whatever make (with the notable exception of the Kindle) support it.

If you visit my blog on eReaders (www.ebookanoid.com)you will find loads of eReader reviews, and they all work happily with ePub.

Further, the equally strange idea that a lot of Sony eReader owners seem to have, that they can only get hold of eBooks on the Sony eBook site is wrong. I have owned two Sony eReaders for two years now,and have never been to the Sony book store. You can purchase eBooks online in ePub format at dozens of eBook sellers - Barnes and Noble, Books on Board, Waterstones,Borders and so the list goes on..... Choice enough, regardless of what sort of book you like to read.

So, look for an eReader whose specs seem to meet your particular requirements, make sure it will take ePub, and buy it, and have fun shopping allover the web for your eBooks.

Collapse -
The Nook should fill you needs
by Eddie_E / February 6, 2010 2:42 AM PST

I'm by no means an expert on ereaders. I just recently purchased a Nook and my wife has a Kindle2. I think a Nook will work for what you are looking for in an ereader. I love mine and in my opinion it's better than the Kindle. You can bookmark, highlight and add a note to the highlighted section as you inquired. My understanding also is that the Nook will work with more ebook formats. Beside B&N is a bookstore so books is their business.

~eddie

Collapse -
what to buy
by Judy79 / February 6, 2010 11:22 AM PST

wanting to buy e-book, wanting to buy a nook. now not so sure. money doesnt come easy. help what to buy nook or kindle
judy

Collapse -
the Nook Hands down
by boswd / May 21, 2010 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: what to buy

as of right now after the Nooks latests firmware updates the Nook is the better e-reader. The color touch screen navigation, color book cover art and newspaper covers. E-pub format accepted, (you aren't walled into Amamzon) and yes Kindlebots you are.
The Nook has Wi Fi the Kindle uses whispernet. Wi Fi trumps that everyday of the week. Whispernet is not available everywhere and is spotty outside of large metropolitan areas.

overall looks, the feel, the extra features,
to me it's a no brainer After you play around with the Nook going back to the Kindle has the 1980's hand held elecrtonic game feel.
We are half way through 2010 and with the kindle you are navigating a curser via a litle joy stick? Seriously?

Nook touch screen navigation with finger swiping and scrolling. too many features, better looking, better feeling, in store support and browsing.
It really just beats the Kindle hands down

Collapse -
update
by leslie1125 / February 8, 2010 2:27 AM PST

I recently got the Sony reader PSR 505. It's the older model just before the pocket reader. I picked it up from a garage sale so it's giving me the opportunity to try the idea of e-readers out. I like that it's much thinner then a book and that I can choose whatever book I'm in the mood for at the time. The 505's screen is 6 inches as compared to the pocket reader which is 5 inches, and the Kindle's 6 inches also.I think I would like a larger screen. The only complaint I have with this model is the text size is limited to 3 choices. I have it on the largest which is still too small for me to read. It would be nice to have one or two more larger options. I did find if I turn it on landscape (just by holding in the zoom key) it seems that the text is larger, so that works for me for now.
I think I like the Kindle the best, but one of the reasons I was drawn to Sony was because of the option of "borrowing" library books. Unfortunately my county library doesn't seem to carry the authors I'm interested in. Maybe in time their list will improve,
I looked into the suggestion by a an earlier poster for converting formats. Still trying to understand that.
Thanks to all for your opinions. It really is helping with my decision.

Collapse -
And Amazon is not?
by make_or_break / February 15, 2010 4:00 PM PST

Amazon cut its teeth selling books online before branching off into other products. And they sell download music, video AND e-books, so they know a thing or two about electronic media. Plus it was Amazon's success in creating buzz about itself that inspired/forced B&N to open up its own online business, something that is probably still bleeding boatloads of red ink for the parent. Considering that B&N has been posting regular losses and is under pressure to cut costs (i.e., layoffs, store closures), there's really little advantage to selecting one over the other for the mere reason that "B&N is a bookstore so books is their business", especially since they've desperately been selling disc-based music and video for some time, along with board games, coffee and other non-book related material.

I understand that through various firmware update the Nook is a considerably better performer than before in its launch configuration, although I haven't seen the latest iteration in person. But as much as the hardware may be improved, financial solvency is equally important, if not more so. I'd certainly want ANY e-book supporting company to be financially strong enough to be around for many years; in that regard I'd have more faith in Amazon or Sony than in Barnes & Noble, particular with the recent news on the health of the company.

Collapse -
Try this
by Green Forest / March 2, 2010 11:40 PM PST

www.greenreader.co.uk

Collapse -
E READERS
by inachu / May 23, 2010 10:12 PM PDT

I think I made a mistake on getting the SONY E-reader.
Its the 600 model line and I do not like it very much.

I went to Borders and they were selling a e-reader....
Forgot the spelling but something like Noonia?

It looks way far more advanced and has a full color touch screen bar at the bottom and you can use it like an ipad and buy things directly off the internet whereas you must attach the Sony to your pc to download books.

Collapse -
I think you mean Barnes and Noble and the Nook
by boswd / May 25, 2010 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: E READERS

Yes, that is IMHO a much better e-reader than The Kindle.

The Nook is a great device,

Collapse -
Best E Reader
by twoplanker / March 3, 2011 2:14 PM PST

I found some good information here www.ereadercomparisonhq.com still trying to figure out which one i want for my birthday.... hope my husband gets me the one i ask for, i kinda want an ipad but dont think ill use all the features, so im tempted to go with a kindle, we shall see

Collapse -
Sony PRS....
by carpetmojo / March 22, 2011 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Best E Reader

I have the PRS 650 after looking aand comparing nearly all others.............

Great aluminium build,not plastiky, beautifully engineered, ePub,buy from anyone 'cept Amazon, use libraries (some) , touch-screen, easy to use after first couple of downloads, can use cards for collections, huge library space.

A bit dearer than most, but worth it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.