Cameras forum

General discussion

Which Digital Camera is the best for:

by skymom / March 29, 2005 7:16 PM PST

Need help which digital camera to buy price range $400-$500. Will be used for sporting (racing) events. Close up, distance, quick shutter speed, quality pictures, auto focus, flash, 5 megapixels.

I'm not fond of the small compacts but mid size digital camera is more my style.

Thank you for any responses.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Digital Camera is the best for:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Digital Camera is the best for:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have this... that arrives today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2005 8:37 PM PST

I've been pretty happy with my Kodak dx6490. Today a newer dx7590 (5MP, 10X optical, dock, etc) arrives. It was 338 bucks and a Kodak refurb. The dx6490's battery charge lasted me 8 days on a recent trip so that was a nice touch. I emptied the 256MB SD card into a portable hard disk unit about 3 times and had pictures on the 4th fillup... I'll write more later about why I updated my Kodak.

Bob

Collapse -
Canon G seies
by wolfman224 / March 29, 2005 10:51 PM PST

Take a serious look at the Canon G6 - it may fall into your price range...

Collapse -
5 meg $400-$500
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 29, 2005 11:05 PM PST

There are not many cameras in that price range that would fit your description.

In addition to the Kodak DX7590 there is the newer Kodak Z7590.

The newly introduced Konica Minolta Z5 is a good choice too. 12X, 5 meg, image stabilization.

If you could expand your upper price range to $550, that would lead you to the 7 megapixel world:
Canon G6 - 7meg 4X
Olympus C7000 - 7meg 5X
Sony V3 - 7meg 4X

Collapse -
Which Digital Camera is the best for:
by skymom / March 30, 2005 12:08 AM PST

Thank you very much for everyone's input.

Since I'm not a pro or a guru of modern technology.
I just enjoy taking pictures. So I have narrowed my
possible choices.

So feel free to advice me which camera is the best for the quality, the price range, etc.

Panasonic Luminx FZ20
Panasonic Luminx DMC FX7K
Sony V3
Cannon G6

Again, really do appreciate all the advice!

Collapse -
Which Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 7:08 AM PST

The Panasonic FX7K is outclassed by the other 3 cameras you mentioned.
But it is well liked by the people who bought it:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcfx7

The list price for that camera is much too high, but if you shop around you can find prices from $320 to $500.

The Sony V3 and Canon G6 are aimed at the same market and I have seen both rated best. It just depends upon who is doing the review.
Both are a good choice.

The Panasonic FZ20 has a large loyal following and is an outstanding camera.
If you want a big zoom, it is the way to go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.