The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Which company makes the best digital cameras?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 18, 2005 7:52 AM PDT

Canon (tell us why)
Casio (tell us why)
Fujifilm (tell us why)
HP (tell us why)
Kodak (tell us why)
Konica Minolta (tell us why)
Nikon (tell us why)
Olympus (tell us why)
Pentax (tell us why)
Sony (tell us why)
Other (which one?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which company makes the best digital cameras?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which company makes the best digital cameras?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NIKON
by kgfell / May 19, 2005 6:20 PM PDT

I have a Home Stay student from Thailand living with me. She takes pictures on outings, uploads them on her Lap Top, and Voile - in minutes send them to me and to her family back home. They are excellent quality.

Collapse -
nikon cameras
by harveygreen / May 19, 2005 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: NIKON

i have just bought a Nikon Coolpix 8800 and find it an excellent digital camera. it is designed for people who want to go a little further in their photography and i am very impressed with the results.

i had a canon 400 digital which could slip in your pocket and that was superb too.

in the end, most manufacturers have a complete range of cameras and you often pick one my the name, rather than the differev=nces in spec

Collapse -
Kodak is the easiest to use, best value digital.
by rsager2004 / May 19, 2005 10:31 PM PDT

I have been using Digital Cameras since they first came out. I own and have owned most of the brands out there including plenty of the ones I call "gadgets".

If you want ease of use and value you should look at Kodaks. They have the best integration of the hardware and software available today.

The best camera is like the best car, which one do you like?

Collapse -
Kodak gives great support and great pictures
by slattenk / May 19, 2005 11:40 PM PDT

My digital Kodak camera was accidentally dropped by my son. After that point, it no longer worked. I sent it in to Kodak and asked what it would cost me to get it fixed. They just fixed it and sent it back within two weeks. I was extremely impressed.

Previously, I had a problem with my Olympus camera (malfunction with the camera). It was just over the one year warranty and they charged me $90 to get it fixed. It also took a couple months to get it back. After the repair, I took it with me on a trip to Washington D.C. where it then had the same problem.

So, from now on, I'm sticking with Kodak.

Collapse -
Kodak, reputation is everything.
by joannah / May 20, 2005 1:23 AM PDT

The Kodak name has always been synonymous with camera quality. I never hesitated to purchase my DX3900, which I have relegated to my husband to enjoy. I have taken some fabulous photos with that camera and my docking station's software. I have now purchased the DX7590 and docking printer station. I have yet to learn all the possibilities which I will be able to achieve with such a digital genius. The feel of the camera is excellent and very important to take fabulous photos. The ease of use......I could go on and on but most of all, I am in love with my camera and expect to take award winning photos. Thank you for having the inteligence to take two steps forward, and none backwards. Keep up the good work! Joannah

Collapse -
Nothing like a Kodak
by Daph / May 21, 2005 7:02 AM PDT

I am always surprised when "editors" post camera reviews that the Kodak never rates a mention. I remember as a child having a Kodak Brownie, which gave me years of fun and memories. About 10 years ago, as we entered the digital age I bought the very first digital Kodak and it was a good introduction to digital photography. Today I have the DX 6490 which I have taken all over the world for unforgettable memories - about 10,000 of them.

I will upgrade to the latest Kodak because the company makes the best dollar-to-delight quality cameras.

Collapse -
ANYTHING BUT KODAK OR POLAROID
by rebecca928 / April 27, 2009 8:50 AM PDT

I have been buying digital cameras for 10 years now, my first camera was a sony and just stopped working one day after only having it for 1 yr so then I switched to Kodak, I have purchased so many kodak cameras, printer, and accessories that it makes me sick- every single camera that I have had has had non stop problems, for instance, the lens just decides one day to stop working and it wont come out that has happened to 3 of my cameras and I just threw em out! Then I purchased 2 polaroid cameras straight out of the box they wouldn't even work! So these are 3 brands I will never ever buy- Kodas polaroid or sony.

Collapse -
Sony
by vandammej / May 19, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

I have a Sony 4MP with zoom, a retirement gift. It takes great pictures (I usually use it at 1MP resolution) which are a little over-saturated. The lens is pretty good but not perfect. I still haven't figured out all the settings, nor can I remember where they are, but full auto pictures are pretty easy. Battery life is good. The memory sticks are hard to find, and the camera is overpriced.

Collapse -
Sony rocks!!!
by John Bee / May 19, 2005 11:10 PM PDT

I love my Sony's because I can use floppy disks instead of memory sticks or cards. The floppys allow me to keep the photos right on the disk and I don't have to stuff my computer with photos if I choose not to......and the cameras take great photos and provide good battery life....I own about 6 or 8 of them that I use in my real estate appraisal business. They take a beating and keep on flicking!!!!

JB

Collapse -
reply to your posting on sony digital cameras
by jamesb1450 / February 10, 2008 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: Sony rocks!!!

tell me more about the floppys as opposed to memory sticks

jamesb1450@yahoo.com

James Pittsburgh, PA
412-736-9891

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Collapse -
Which is the best digital camera\digicam
by Shantar / May 19, 2005 11:12 PM PDT

You listed some fine cameras in your report but We think you missed one very nice deal with qualities for the money you can only find in much more expensive cameras.
We are Talking about the Concord 6363Z with such features as 12X total zoom, higher than 1024X768 jpg picturs at 4 Megapixel quality AND full AVI movies with sound comparable with any more expensive camera on the market today. And with an additional SD memory card added you can increase your storage capacity for those wanted long movies or a whole lot more pics. And of course it has LCD on the back for easy menu choices and good quality picture previews.
We found some hidden nice features such as thumbnail viewing and slideshow viewing of pics, choice of backgrounds for your pics with the included software.
The best feature was the support. At first we had a minor problem retrieving the pictures from the camera since we prefer to try it ourselves rather than read the manuals which by the way are very through and pretty thick for this camera so we called the support line and got someone who easily showed us the easy way to get our photos but also followed up in a couple days to see how things were going and how we liked the camera with a few suggestions of getting quality pics from the camera.
Now the Best feature of all. We got this camera from Tigerdirect for and yes under $100.00 complete with it's first set of batteries, all the cables and mauals needed and a nice little soft pouch. These cameras were so popular just a month ago with Tigerdirect they had trouble keeping them in stock.
We rate this camera at or above Sony quality for hundreds less.

Rick Shover
A.T.A. DATA RESEARCH SYSTEMS

Collapse -
What is a Concord
by citymars / May 20, 2005 12:57 AM PDT

"Total zoom" is misleading: it really means 3x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom. And everyone who has done the least bit of research should know that digital zoom is an unimportant part of the equation.

Concord 6363Z -- must be new, I can't find any info on a 6363z model.

Collapse -
the 6363Z is similar to this model
by jonah jones / May 20, 2005 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: What is a Concord
Collapse -
by tarheelgolfer / May 19, 2005 11:24 PM PDT

Canon is one of the best for one reason. SLR

Collapse -
SONY is the best digital camera
by Edubarca / May 19, 2005 11:37 PM PDT

Sony is the best digital camera for three main reasons:

1) Traditional Sony quality and design.

2) Carl Zeiss T* lenses. Considered the best in the world. Most people sometimes tend to forget that the heart of any camera is the lens.

3) The 4 colour Super HAD CCD.

Collapse -
Good decision
by virtuox / May 19, 2005 11:37 PM PDT

It's a good decision from you, to put the polls with links, because in the other format hotmail don't support it. Please reformat other newsletters polls in this format, too.

I use hotmail only to read CNET's newsletters, and other because they looks so nice, and better than other web emails.

Please forgive my bad English.

Collapse -
fujifilm E550 or above
by Ram41 / May 19, 2005 11:45 PM PDT

I like the options of fully auto, and fully manual. I do a lot of shooting in auto the switch to manual to get exactally what I want. The number of options available in manual are what I would expect from any quality 35mm camera.
Rich

Collapse -
Voted for Kodak - but
by blcain / May 20, 2005 12:01 AM PDT

Wish I could have voted for what I think is the best camera. The Panasonic FZ20. Outstanding pictures, 12X optical zoom Leica lens. Very easy to use, and did I say Outstanding pictures?

Collapse -
Where is Panasonic
by mrobzo / May 20, 2005 12:27 AM PDT

Back in 1990, I bought something new on the market. It was a Panasonic digital camcorder vhs-c. It still works fine. They still sell them today. I now have a DMC-FZ20k still camera. Why would you not list Panasonic. Konica Minolta just caught up with them, but the year isn't over yet. Why would you leave Panasonic off your list?

Collapse -
Where is Panasonic ... Very good question!!!
by RobertMTurner / May 20, 2005 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Where is Panasonic

Leica lens systems, one of the best digital zooms in mid-price digitals and SD Card which is compatible with more devices than any other. Great value!

Collapse -
Oh...but Panasonic doesn't have a "name"!
by scayf / August 16, 2005 2:49 PM PDT

I've had my FZ15 for about 7 months now...12x zoom, image stabilization, full control, the Leica lens, metal body (not a toy camera plastic one), great macro capability...easy to use, takes superb images, feels and looks like a "real" camera. I love it.

But everyone knows you have to have the "name" to take the best photos.

Collapse -
the name isn't the only thing that matters
by Carlos_zuniga / September 15, 2005 3:53 AM PDT

you need to have a good CCD to have a name between Sony and Konica Minolta... for example...

Viva Sony!

Collapse -
"name"
by joannah / September 15, 2005 7:07 AM PDT

In time, Panasonic will have a name you can trust. Reputation is important, since you have to trust what the company is telling you to be true about their product. Trial and error is costly, and not the way to go.
Joannah

p.s. The best camera does not mean the best pictures, there is that human element which could make or break your efforts.

Collapse -
And I'm on my second...
by scayf / August 29, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: "name"

...Panasonic now. Got the FZ30 last November...

Collapse -
Hard to beat a Sony Mavica
by tjpierce / May 20, 2005 1:32 AM PDT

I know that floppies are "old news" but it is hard to beat the 10x optical zoom on the Sony Mavica. And they are easy to use in the classroom as well. All the bells and whistles are great, but to me, a great optical zoom is what sells me!

Collapse -
Better than Mavica?
by albizzia / May 21, 2005 7:28 AM PDT

I have an older Panasonic PV-
SD4090 camera that is a business workhorse. It uses 120 Mb floppy disks as well as standard 1.44 Mb floppy disks. (the older Sony Mavica was limited to standard 1.44 floppies)

It is great having room for nearly a thousand photos per floppy! The main problem is the LiIon battery only holds up for a few hundred pictures before requiring a recharge.

Of course progress marches on, and now there are microdrives, and high capacity flash cards, and recordable mini-CD/mini-DVD drives. The problems of limited space and expensive media are fading away.

Collapse -
Nikon
by FrankS / May 20, 2005 2:41 AM PDT

because i have a Nikon 3200. i love it the pics are excellent resolution wise then tere's the Nikon name what more can i say LIECA!!!!!! there is'nt any in digital

Collapse -
FUJI
by JerandVicP / May 20, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

In simple terms: A plethora of lens choices. For the novice who has a passion for taking memorable photos, Fuji is unbeatable. I am by no means a trained photographer, however, I was in camera sales for about six years, eons ago, and have, over the years, appreciated their lens quality and choices. I've used their telephoto lens for breathtaking views, their macro for taking pictures of water drops on flower pedals, and close up portrait photos. I can't say enough about the quality of the end result photos I've gotten Fuji's cameras over the years.

I've used Kodak, Canon, Minolta, and miscellaneous others and have never gotten the breathtaking results that I've received from my Fuji.

Collapse -
by n36j / May 20, 2005 2:54 AM PDT

Frankly, I do not believe there is one BEST company. I've tried several including Olympus, Kodak, Nikon, Minolta, Sony, Konica (before the merger), and others. From experience there is no single best company.

I'm currently using Nikon and Minolta and like quality in both. I may get a Cannon next - I hear many good things. I will avoid Olympus because of past problems. I'd even consider Kodak although I have had business problems with their bloated corporate structure.

Nikon and Minolta both have good quality. Repairs may be expensive. I like my Minolta 7hi for the extended zoom lens and other convenient features. I notice that the big photo-rags seldom even mention Konica-Minolta. I suspect some of that is due to their advertising dollar income. Sony is a good or even great camera, but seldom is it a good dollar value from my past experiences - you pay a premium for Sony. YMMV on this point.

When I buy a camera it will be from a reliable company that has the most to offer in terms of operating functions at a reasonable [ fair, not cheapest ] price. What works for me may not work for someone else!

While there is seldom one BEST product or one BEST company there is usually one product that provides the most bang for the buck. It may not be the latest and greatest but cost:benefit ratio establishes what is best for me the consumer.

FWIW YMMV, Clif

Collapse -
obviously, Leica
by Siul / May 20, 2005 2:57 AM PDT

Leica new Digital Digilux II and Leica back for Leicas R8
Are far suprio thgan her concurrents. Next, Nikon.t

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.