Cameras

Question

Which camera should I get?

by mdee4 / May 4, 2013 1:17 AM PDT

I am looking to get a new camera. I would like to spend $300 or less, but might go up to $400. I just have no idea what camera to get. I want one so I can...

-take night time photos of the night sky. It needs to be a good camera for taking pictures of the stars, moon, auroras.
-Timelapse. Needs a timelapse feature so I can record the stars paths in the sky as they move across the night sky.
-Possibly wifi enabled so I can easily send photos to my computer and then to my iPhone/ipad for editing. If the camera can connect to DropBox than that would be perfect.

So does anyone have any suggestions? It would be great to find a camera on sale within this price range that can take good photos in lowlight conditions and has a good light trail/timelapse feature. I don't know too much about all the camera specifics so I would like really appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which camera should I get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which camera should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Manual Controls
by PistonCupChampion / May 4, 2013 2:04 AM PDT

The main thing you need is a camera that has manual controls, preferably with a bulb mode, and the ability to accept an intervalometer.You also need to budget for a good tripod. I'm not sure if there are any compact cameras that have the features you need, and there are no new DSLR cameras that sell for $300-400. There is of course the used and refurbished market.

Collapse -
Answer
Too light a budget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 2:19 AM PDT

For example, I added a time-lapse thing to my camera for about 40 bucks (link -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU0Z1Y/ ) and that would reduce your budget by that much.

I also picked up an EyeFi card to send the snaps over instamagically but that's another 50 bucks and we have yet to get a camera!
Bob

Collapse -
Canon EOS 600D?
by mdee4 / May 4, 2013 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Too light a budget.

Thank you for that info. Would you(or anyone else) recommend getting the Canon EOS 600D? I'm looking at that camera now. It seems to be sufficient for what I want a camera for. I like the battery grip idea.

Collapse -
Isn't that the t3i by another name?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2013 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon EOS 600D?

I have not done any night shots but would worry about long outdoor use.

But I'm a handy designer so my first thought is to a make shift dew and weather shield plus my favorite secret weapon. It's painter's tape. I have some on hand since I can seal it up without worry about tape residue.

The timer I noted may be just the ticket but you are closer to 1,000 with this setup when done. It's a great camera but after living with this one, I'm going to look again at mirrorless DSLRs.
Bob

Collapse -
Got a camera
by mdee4 / May 5, 2013 11:41 AM PDT

Just ordered the Canon EOS T3i. Hopefully that camera will be adequate for my needs.

Collapse -
Answer
Which camera should i get?
by hirenpatel85 / May 27, 2013 8:42 PM PDT

Don't just read on them, go into a store and handle them, see which one fits you, see which one has controls that make the most sense to you....consider the lens line up..consider what type of photography you want to do....everyone has their opinions on the best camera(s)...but YOU will be the one using whatever it is you wind up with.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.