Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Which Browser to choose?

by human being1 / September 26, 2010 7:48 PM PDT

Hello guys,

I am sometimes confused about which web browser to choose,I just wanted to have a comparison between Firefox and IE. Does IE uses more memory then firefox?

My other question is that is IE more secure then firefox?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Browser to choose?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Browser to choose?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: IE and Firefox
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2010 8:26 PM PDT

Memory: I never checked. My PC never uses it's 2 GB of RAM anyway, so I don't care about memory usage of the program. But if you want to know, just run task manager and compare the memory usage of these 2 programs in a few scenarios. Can you tell us the outcome of your experiments.

Generally, Firefox is considered somewhat more secure than IE. But the browsing habits of the user are the most important factor in security.

Kees

Collapse -
About experiment
by human being1 / September 26, 2010 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: IE and Firefox

Well Kees,

I was about to do that experiment but was lazy,so I thought that I should ask it here. Well even I had a feeling of security when I was using mozilla firefox but you are right it is the habbit of a user that generally matters. Do you really think these web browsers really matter when we use any web based VPN services eg.VNC(Virtual Network Computing)or logme in?

I will definitely share the result of the experiment with firefox and IE.

But Kees what really makes firefox more secure then IE? Don't you think that both web browsers get the same level of support online eg.updates and patches?

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: browsers
by Kees Bakker / September 27, 2010 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: About experiment

Unsafety of webbrowsers is related to unsafe content on the sites you visit. So using VPN or logmein to trusted domains or PC's should be safe in any browser.

IE is considered somewhat more unsafe, because it's more integrated into Windows, allows use of ActiveX and is more attractive for hackers because more users are using it.

On the other side, Firefox is open source, so 'anybody' can find holes in it by just studying the source. The source of IE is a Microsoft secret.

Kees

Collapse -
reply to the messege
by human being1 / September 28, 2010 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: browsers

Thanks for your reply,

So does Microsoft offers more support and security patches for IE then firefox browser gets?

Ok,I got your point ,please correct me if I am wrong,becoz windows itself is more vulnerable to external attacks especially from hackers,viruses and spywares as compared to Linux and Unix,so any application that we use on windows will be vulnerable to those attacks,right?

So it means that IE has more holes then firefox.

Collapse -
Use both of them.
by tTTTRex / September 29, 2010 3:01 PM PDT

Firefox is more secure than IE 8.

Collapse -
Can of worms . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 29, 2010 11:45 PM PDT

It depends on who you talk to. Yesterday, FF was probably the best. Today, IE has morphed into a great browser and is as secure as any. PCWorld did a side by side test on all the current browsers. IE won.

I used FF for years. For the last few years I prefer IE because of the speed of opening and the improved security. Just make sure you have the latest version compatible with your OS, and keep the updates current.

Collapse -
Hello
by human being1 / October 15, 2010 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Can of worms . . .

Coryphaeus,

Thanks for this information,but I think it depends on which OS do you use IE or FF.
If we use IE on Linux,then it will be more secure ,right?

I think even if we use FF on Linux,it will be more secure.

Collapse -
Re: IE
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 15, 2010 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello

You can't install IE in Linux. It comes with Windows and is tied to Windows. So that's not right.

But you're right about Linux. Viruses that work in Windows, won't work in Linux. So Linux is more safe. Still, phishing works wholly inside the browser; no difference there between Linux and Windows.

Kees

Collapse -
by human being1 / November 1, 2010 9:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: IE

Hi Kees,

So which web browser is used on Linux? What is phishing?

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: browsers and phishing.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 1, 2010 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
by human being1 / November 1, 2010 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: IE

Hi Kees,

So which web browser is used in Linux?Is it a linux own built in web browser
that is used?

What is phishing?

Collapse -
(NT) See my answer above.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 1, 2010 10:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
browsers
by Atomic1fire / November 2, 2010 5:55 AM PDT

Linux has numerous distributions, so the browser used is ultimately up to the user. Ubuntu uses firefox by default, but the net-book remix uses chromium.
and if you add in window managers, like KDE or gnome, it really depends on what's available, and what you want to use.
there is no set in stone default, because by nature, Linux is modifiable, so it would be up to whoever creates their distro or version, to set a preferred default.
in android (the Linux based cellphone OS, made by google) the web browser really doesn't have a name, but it's based off the webkit rendering engine, which is used in several browsers, including the browser for the mac and iphone/ipad/ipod touch, safari.
and almost every web browser besides internet explorer has built in spellchecker, I think it's not so much that Microsoft wants to get people to buy office, but that adding it is not a priority, otherwise they would have said something on that.

Collapse -
RE: FIREFOX OR IE
by taboy74 / October 13, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

I would say Firefox. But I am also using google chrome because it's fast compared to Firefox. But I have issues recently with google chrome because it's prone to hang freeze from time to time. I am not sure its because of a virus. Use where you feel comfortable using.

Collapse -
by human being1 / October 13, 2010 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: FIREFOX OR IE

Thanks guys for your replies,

Taboy,

Its not necessary that an application gets hanged becoz of virus,maybe the google chrome
itself has problem with it, just uninstall it and install it again.

resource hungry applications are generally not recommended ,but lets see what is the difference between FF and IE.

Collapse -
Don't want any browser w/beta, IE 7,8.or 9
by terri cunningham / October 29, 2010 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: FIREFOX OR IE

I have IE6 since '04 when I bought the computer from Dell. I have XP. It's time to choose a browser from CNET. Why? I downloaded IE7 w/beta and didn't like it, so I removed it. When I did that, my Netgear router stopped working (it probably thought it was a Virus??)
I already have windows firewall, and Microsoft security essentials (antivirus & spyware) I don't need the beta.
I have read the pros and cons of each browser. Apple Safari has been beat down, in the full specifications, Opera is too involved, Mozilla Firefox Version 3, is new and so is Goolge chrome. I need someone to give me some good advice, about these browsers, so I am able to make my decision.
I'm not able to get into some websites, with IE6, so I need to make a change, and I don't want the browser to affect my router.

Collapse -
Which browser.
by MDFlax / October 29, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

I'm with you, I never use Beta versions of browsers. They are for those who like to test and fiddle, and are prepared for the occasional crash and burn if the betas ruin the operating system.

However, I always keep my browsers up to date. I have IE8, Firefox 3.6 and Chrome. I rarely use either IE or Chrome, but I still keep them updated for security reasons. Windows doesn't mind how many browsers are installed and will even manage if different browsers are being used at the same time.

Your XP OS needs IE8, but you don't say whether this XP is up to date itself. The latest is XP with SP3, (Service Pack 3), and there have been a large number of Windows Updates issued since SP3. I find that keeping Windows up to date also helps when IE is updated, and have few issues.

So, make sure Windows is fully updated and then Windows Update should offer you IE8 as part of the normal update procedure.

Which browser is best for you is something only you can decide. Why not try each and see which you prefer?

Mark

Collapse -
Still trying to make up my mind, I haven't forgotten
by terri cunningham / November 2, 2010 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Which browser.

Hey Mark

You say you have IE8 without the beta? Is it through Microsoft? I'd be interested, maybe. I'm looking at one of their sites, about an IE8 readiness toolkit, trying to keep an open mind, but I have been leaning towards Firefox.

I forgot, I have Windows XP OS SP3, I think i'm ok, and windows update at 3am every morning.

I haven't had a lot of browsers before, but I do have a couple of toolbars, so I will take you up on that suggestion about browsers.

I guess I haven't been adventurous about change, everytime I download anything, I wind up not downloading anything after reading the terms & conditions & privacy. I don't like secrets.

I've been a little concerned about the IE9, because I have MagicJack connected to my computer. Whenever you make a call, the magicjack Window comes up and one day it says, Don't download IE9, because it will affect the magicjack program. I don't recall if it was beta. I just know, that if I chose IE8, that will be it for me.

My Netgear Router can't handle IE anything with beta,(it's like a virus). I went to download IE7, didn't like it, and deleted it. Then I had to reconfigure the router, which is connected to my Roku (streaming video through my TV) Netflix account. I was upset about this. That's a nice way of putting it.

Thank you for your advise

Terri

Collapse -
IE8
by MDFlax / November 2, 2010 10:38 PM PDT

Hi Terri

IE8 is no longer in Beta so the IE8 I use is the full version, downloaded and installed through Windows Updates. In fact IE8 came out of Beta at least a year ago, probably more.

I am not using IE9 which is still in Beta.

I'm not sure I understand the problems with your router and IE. Routers don't care which browser, and in fact are unaware what browser is being used, or whether any browser is being used. Routers just transmit data in and out.

However, I note your use of MagicJack and any problems with MajicJack and browsers is for the developers of MajicJack to sort out. But there again, not that I know anything about MJ, but I see it is a "device with a USB port that plugs into a computer and a phone jack that plugs into a standard phone, which allows the user to make phone calls to any phone in the U.S. for a fixed charge of $20 a year". I don't see why this should be affected by browsers.

Mark

Collapse -
Notes on those browsers...
by John.Wilkinson / October 31, 2010 1:34 AM PDT

1.) IE7 has been out of beta since October 2006, and IE8 has been out since March 2009. IE9 is currently in beta testing and is soon to be released.

2.) Safari is not as feature-loaded as some browsers, but is a very solid, capable, and secure browser nevertheless.

3.) Not sure what you mean by "Opera is too involved, " but it is feature-loaded and a solid option as well.

4.) Firefox 3 was released in June 2008, so it's actually an old browser, not a new one. Version 4 is currently in beta testing and due for release in a couple months.

5.) Chrome (from Google) is one you did not mention. It's still relatively bare-bones in terms of features, but it's one of the simplest and fastest browsers available.

And regardless of which browser(s) you use, it should make no nevermind to your router. Thus, you're free to try them all and see which you like the best.

John

Collapse -
About Microsoft Internet explorers
by terri cunningham / November 2, 2010 11:30 PM PDT

hey john,

I've had my dell deminsion 2400 series, WIndows Xp OS SP3 (went thru sp1 sp2 and)
6 years. Before that, I hadn't been on a computer (w/o mouse) since 1993. So, I am ?? I don't like a lot of change, because I've had IE6 for so long. Simple.
But I'm finding out that I need to update my browser so I am able to view websites, that are constantly telling me I need to update my browser. So, I'm looking. I guess, I didn't look long at Opera and Safari. I also didn't mean to offend.
Thanks for clarifying about the beta part, I didn't know.

I will take a look at all the browsers again.

Thanks

Collapse -
by human being1 / November 1, 2010 9:37 PM PDT

Hello Terri,

So have you installed any new web browser eg.FF or Opra?Try installing other web browsers eg.FF or Opra? If your Router stopped working,I don't think it has anything to do with IE.Do you use IE(Internet Explorer) to access the portal or interface of your Netgear Router?

Beta version of any application is basically used on test computers,don't use them on those computers that you use it generally.

Collapse -
about the netgear router
by terri cunningham / November 2, 2010 10:20 PM PDT

I have IE6. I got the router basically to view streaming movies on my TV, through my Netflix account. I had to buy a Roku player to do this.

The netgear wireless router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1. When I deleted IE7, it caused the router to reset itself & my local area connection, causing no internet connection. I had to bi-pass the router, and hook the computer to the modem, until I could get all of it working together again. I just have to call Roku to finish the installation.

Collapse -
Choosing a Browser
by musicman195959 / November 5, 2010 3:30 PM PDT

I use Google Chrome which is fast and has a igcognito feature. Internet Explorer was freezing my laptop. You may want to give Google Chrome a try. Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.