Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Which browser is best for my specific needs?

by mkries2 / May 2, 2011 10:34 AM PDT

Hello, this is my first time posting in these forums. Over the past year or so, it seems like my web browsers are becoming less stable. Crashing, freezing... just being a pain in the butt.

Anyways- I'm running a slightly older computer (2005 or so). I realize this is probably my biggest problem, but to compensate for that, I added flash-blocking extensions to Firefox and Chrome, the two browsers I try to run. I also updated my drivers, and performed various virus and malware scans to ensure there was nothing fishy installed or running, but they didn't catch anything.

Still, both browsers seem to crash constantly. I like Chrome better, but I understand that it is a memory-intensive program, and have switched to FF 4.0.1 lately. If I have 2 or more tabs open on either browser, it seems to be a ticking time-bomb for a crash. Again, flash is blocked, and I'm not watching streaming video or anything.

So I guess my questions are- what is the least memory-intensive browser, and what browser would you recommend as being "most stable"? I don't use my computer or the web for anything too complicated (just to check email, read news/blogs, fantasy sports, etc) so I really don't want something with a lot of bells and whistles that will slow down my computer and cause crashes. I just want the best browser for my outdated machine. I was hoping switching from Chrome to FF would help, but FF seems to crash just about as often. I would be willing to use Chrome, FF, IE, Opera, or anything else you might think would work for me. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which browser is best for my specific needs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which browser is best for my specific needs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
This MIGHT help
by prodygii / May 4, 2011 6:58 AM PDT

I'm not really sure if this would work for you or not, but I had a similar problem before I bought the computer I've got now. I downloaded a old version of Chrome, can't remember what version it was but it seems like it wasn't anywhere near version 11. I was having problems with FF crashing, but I never even tried the new Chrome versions. But whichever old version of Chrome I had was working great--this wasn't but about 3 months ago. Here's a link where you can download old versions of Chrome:

Collapse -
Meant to add this in my above reply...
by prodygii / May 4, 2011 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: This MIGHT help
Collapse -
Thanks- I had started to lean towards an older version
by mkries2 / May 4, 2011 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: This MIGHT help

I think I'm going to start by trying FF3.6, and maybe then try Old Chrome. I love Chrome, and used to have it, but it seems to me to be more memory-intensive, which I now believe to be my biggest problem. I just checked FF4, and saw it was taking up 200MB+ of memory, which just isn't going to work on my old machine. However, FF3.6 seems to use less memory, according to various articles I've read. Thanks again, and I might just take a look at that Old Chrome if FF3.6 doesn't work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.