The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Which browser do you use most?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / August 22, 2006 6:01 AM PDT

Which browser do you use most?

Internet Explorer (which version and why?)
Firefox (which version and why?)
Netscape (which version and why?)
Opera (which version and why?)
Safari (which version and why?)
ISP-provided browser (which one?)
Other (what is it?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which browser do you use most?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which browser do you use most?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I use Firefox
by rovingardener / August 22, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

Mozilla Firefox 5.0

Just a little more stable than IE 6.0

Collapse -
Firefox 5.0???
by FastKatt / August 22, 2006 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I use Firefox

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6
I'd love to see your "5.0 ver."
Anyway, I love Firefox, more stable, easier to use, extensions rock ***!
I wouldn't set up a computer for myself or a friend without installing Firefox, and setting it as the default browser! EVER!

Collapse -
lolz... firefox 5.0
by aritra / August 22, 2006 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox 5.0???

he probably meant mozilla/5.0 which is has the firefox 1.5 version ........

Collapse -
FireFox is TOPS!
by lucasonline / August 22, 2006 10:20 AM PDT

Not only is it more stable than IE, but it is much more secure and has SO MUCH MORE to offer than just the regular features which could be found in IE

Collapse -
Firefox
by kjp1950 / September 8, 2006 9:34 AM PDT

Firefox has better stability, security, and support
Microsoft has too many issues with most of it's products. I use Incredimail for a more secure, supported, stable and loaded with options email choice too. Look out Microsoft - you're no longer top dog

Collapse -
firefox
by Rainyrainy / September 22, 2009 4:45 PM PDT

I like Mozilla Firefox 5.0
as it have convenient tabs. Haha

Collapse -
Camino is the 1 4 Me.
by rks1150 / August 22, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

I've been using Camino for about two weeks, after I was turned on to it at the Apple Store. Camino is Firefox, except especially designed for the Mac, so they've gotten rid of a lot of the PC stuff. Firefox is good, but Camino----much better, much faster.

Collapse -
IE 6 is much faster than Firefox 1.5
by dbertola / August 22, 2006 9:44 AM PDT

I have Microsoft IE 6 and Mozilla FireFox 1.5 installed on both desktops. But I used IE 6 most of the time because bringing up the first Firefox 1.5 window takes more than 30 seconds on my Windows 2000 Server SP4 and XP Media Center SP2. Nowadays, user expects something to happen after they click or makes a selection. The good old mainframe era where you submit a job then go to get a cup of coffee is over.

Mozilla needs to clean up their act. All the extended features are nice but the slow invocation on the first session will turn user away to other browsers.

Regards, Nancy

Collapse -
IE6 vs. Firefox 1.5
by FastKatt / August 22, 2006 10:04 AM PDT

The reason IE6 loads faster is because you load it when you boot up your system, it is part of windows, and part of the 2-3 minute boot up you deal with every time you restart your system.
Add Firefox to your "Start-Up" programs, and you'll wait no more!
IE sits in the background waiting for you to need it, so can Firefox.
If that's what's keeping you from running Firefox WISE UP!
If IE had to load when you clicked it, it would take 3x as long as Firefox, and it IS NOT FASTER.

Collapse -
Firefox is faster!
by PCGuru / August 24, 2006 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: IE6 vs. Firefox 1.5

You are absolutly correct! Thanks for reminding me about the auto startup advantage. I have always had firefox in my startup folder, but when I tell others about Firefox,I forget to mention it them, as a means to decrease the startup time even more. I have tried MSIE and Firefox on my computer many times. It doesn't matter which one is started first, Firefox will always load 3 to 5 times faster than MSIE.

Collapse -
There are ways to improve that
by kt_leohart / August 22, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

Like the post above, Firefox loads up slower because it is not dormant in your memory like IE is.

But there are addons that you can download to tune up Firefox and have it loads/runs faster.

Give that a try.

For me, I don't mind the 2 secs it takes for my Firefox to load on my Ubuntu box. And I will take the 30 seconds of FF instead of unsafe IE anytime.

Collapse -
Slow Firefox?
by fractioneer / August 22, 2006 12:09 PM PDT

It can also be one of your extensions you might have running that slows you down. I used to loathe using Firefox, because of the load itme. But I disabled all of the extensions and restarted the browser until I found which one was causing the problem.

Collapse -
30 seconds is probably a memory issue.
by jtoppi / August 23, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

He probably doesn't have enough memory to be using a modern browser, or has a great deal of spyware acquired during the use of IE has clogged his memory. Before Firefox can load all the spyware will have to be put in a pagefile/swap.

Either way more memory would mitigate the issue.

http://www.freetechsupport.us/

Collapse -
Please stop the ads for a competing message board;
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 24, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

all such posts will in future be deleted as violations against the "forum promotion" provision of the terms of service.

-- Dave K

Collapse -
Google Chrome
by OfflineNotification / September 29, 2009 1:47 PM PDT

I use Google Chrome and it never failed me ever since. Really working fast and gives the best results. Thanks. By the way, I found an interesting <a href= http://www.mylastquest.com>offline notification </a> site that might interest you too. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Collapse -
Slow firefox vs IE?
by MediaSupport / August 22, 2006 5:48 PM PDT

There is no way IE6 is faster than Firefox 1.5 while performing what both browsers were meant to be doing, thats browsing. Bloating up Firefox with all sorts of extensions will make it obviously start up slower.Try Firefox plain or safe mode (without extensions)vs IE6 and tell me which one starts up faster. In any case, with all my extensions installed, i'm willing to wait a few extra seconds for firefox to start up the first time...just for the extra special web experience it gives me.
The day i have to switch over back to IE for whatever reason..is a day i'm gonna be very sad indeed.

Collapse -
IE6 faster than Firefox?
by iconeyes / August 23, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

Hmmm. one reason is that you're using Windows XP. My Firefox browser takes about 3 seconds to load, and I use Windows 98SE on my main machine. XP on another one, and it's the worst OS since Windows ME.

If you set the Firefox opening page to ''blank'', it will load faster. But, ya know what? Even if it was slower, it's worth the wait. And this ''Send Error Report'' (when IE crashes) is a joke. I wonder what happens when ''Microshaft'' gets those? If they ever do.

When you decide to 'switch' to a real browser, just click on the FF icon and go get your coffee. Happy

Oh, another thing about Mozilla 'getting their act together': Mozilla patches trouble spots as soon as they're discovered, sometimes almost before it happens.

Collapse -
IE6 is very insecure
by jtoppi / August 23, 2006 10:20 PM PDT

You machine is so slow, from all the spyware you picked while using IE6.

I always strongly recomend to all my clients, that they stop using the AOL browser, IE5, IE6, and most ISP browsers, because they all use Internet Explorer in some way. Microsoft refuses to secure their software, and it is evident when you look at patch times. Usually a month or more for most IE6 flaws, while around 1 to 2 week for all firefox flaws. Take a look at what flaws the browsers have right now:
Firefox:
http://secunia.com/product/4227/

IE6:
http://secunia.com/product/11/

After my clients switch the have all reported a lower instance of spyware and virus infection.

You sir, need to reinstall windows(it is the only way to be sure you got all the malware) or atleast use tools like Adaware or Spybot S&D, and start fresh using only Firefox.

http://www.freetechsupport.us

Collapse -
Firefox
by TomG / August 22, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

Why? So many reasons... Tabbed browsing, great extensions (mouse gestures, Foxmarks, adblock especially).

Collapse -
I use Safari...
by boya84 / August 22, 2006 9:57 AM PDT

... because I can.

Collapse -
And...
by my4sit3 / August 22, 2006 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: I use Safari...

It's Universal

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can't beat it Way ahead of MS
by rtsphoto / August 22, 2006 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: And...
Collapse -
Universal
by scc4fun / August 23, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: And...

There are Universal binaries for Firefox as well.

Collapse -
I keep hearing this...
by my4sit3 / October 24, 2006 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Universal

but it will only run for me in Rosetta. And it takes more than a minute to open out of Rosetta (before it crashes).

Collapse -
All the people fighting over browsers and we lucked out
by rtsphoto / August 22, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

By using a mac. Can't wait for Leopard to come out.

Collapse -
Safari is nice, but not unique
by jtoppi / August 23, 2006 10:43 PM PDT

The same browsing experience can be acquired by using Konqueror. Konqueror is a web browser for KDE, a popular desktop on Linux and other unixlike operating systems. Apple used a great deal of the code base, to the point where they have almost the same renderer. If one of them messes up a site, it is almost assured that the other will mess up the same way.

They are both fast and stable web browsers.

http://www.freetechsupport.us

Collapse -
I Haven't Found A Good Reason Not To...
by Bronzit / August 22, 2006 1:21 PM PDT

... With the Debug Menu, I can make the sites which I browse think that I am using either Mozilla 1.1, Netscape 7.0 or 6.2.2 or 4.79, Mac MSIE 5.2, Windoz MSIE 6.0 or Konqueror 3, OR Automatically impersonate any of the above! I have Tabs and everything else needed except the ability to creat pages.

Collapse -
Safari 2.0.4
by treestumped / August 22, 2006 1:36 PM PDT

Faster and easier than IE

Collapse -
Safari
by c46 / August 22, 2006 9:38 PM PDT

On the Mac, Safari is definitely the king of the hill. I know I use it as my default browser, but compatibility with Windows Live Mail is poor. However, Safari includes a browser emulation mode, in which you can have the browser render pages and emulate a range of other browsers out there, great for web developers and designers like myself.

Only problem is to enable this menu, you have to type in a terminal command. Which, I've now forgotten.

Great.

The mixture of Safari + Camino/Firefox is however, unbeatable for compatibility.

Collapse -
OmniWeb
by onemoremile / August 26, 2006 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Safari

I cannot let this discussion pass without putting in a good word for OmniWeb. It runs fast and looks right on the Mac. OmniWeb has the tab drawer, which actually shows a small image of each open tab along the side of the screen. A user can open a group of bookmarked sites all at once simply by dragging the bookmarks into the tab drawer. OmniWeb also allows the user to easily set the browser to identify itself as another browser when visiting a certain web site. In other words, OmniWeb can be Firefox on one web site, Safari on another web site and Internet Explorer on yet another. OmniWeb will remember these settings each time you visit the sites.

On the other hand, OmniWeb does cost US $29.95.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.