Firefox (which version?)
Netscape (which version?)
Opera (which version?)
Safari (which version?)
ISP-provided browser (which one?)
Other (what is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which browser do you use most?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which browser do you use most?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my choice is MSN
by cokeman54 / September 27, 2005 10:09 AM PDT

I use the MSN browser as it stores all favorites on their server in case I have to reinstall operating system. Using MSN homepage keeps me up to date with news and stocks of my selection.

Collapse -
Most fail to synchronize Address Book groups (Distrib.Lists)
by Emilio2000 / September 27, 2005 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: my choice is MSN

I realize a browser and an email client are two separate entitites, but I tend to see them as a unit, like two hands working together to handle all my internet needs.

So, I haven't switched to Firefox mainly because Thunderbird is incapable of handling Groups of Contacts (or Distribution Lists). You can't import them or export them, and thus there is no way to synchronize my address book on two computers (even if they are both running Thunderbird). Since I use a lot of Groups (Lists), ... for me, this is a deal-breaker.

I have tried other solutions, including MSN, ... and was surprised that MSN can't even synchronize with the Windows Address Book used in Outlook Express. They are both Microsoft prodcuts, ... but they don't talk to each other! Pitiful.

So, I am still hanging on to my Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. Why? Because Outlook Express is the only product that can handle Groups successfully, and synchronizing two address books on two computers is amazingly easy. Simply export and import the .WAB file.

Even the supposedly more powerful Outlook can't do that! (Yes, the experts will tell you that Outlook can synchronize with other Outlook address books, including Distribution Lists, ... and I managed to accomplish that once, ... but the process is so complicated and un-intuitive that I couldn't remember how to do it just a few weeks later. So, if I can't figure it out, Outlook's synchronization is as good as uselees.)

So far, I haven't found any product that can successfully and easily synchronize Groups (Distribution Lists) like Outlook Express does. As long as that is the case, I will stay with the OE / IE package.

Oh, yeah, ... I haven't really found a compelling reason to switch, ... as much as I would like to. Sure, there may be some vulnerabilities in IE, ... but I figure that Norton's firewall and Anti-virus software keeps me reasonably safe. So far, I haven't had any problems.

Collapse -
Importing/Exporting Adress Books
by vixenk / September 28, 2005 12:19 PM PDT

I don't know what version of Thunderbird you tried out, but the latest version DOES give you the capability of importing/exporting address books just as easily as you can in OE. Just export your address book in the .csv format instead of the .wab format and then you can import it in Thunderbird. MOST email clients use the .csv format... I have seen very few that will accept the .wab one.

Collapse -
firefox not there yet...
by HTRon / September 28, 2005 5:04 AM PDT

I really wanted to keep using firefox, but there are still too many sites that only work with IE, like my bank and some sites at work even. Drop downs don't work right, tables don't line up right - I was really disappointed, and I had to go back to IE...

Collapse -
Getting Firefox to work with IE only sites
by vixenk / September 28, 2005 12:21 PM PDT

This is actually very easily resolved. There's a Firefox extension called User Agent Switcher that will allow you to sort of "mask" Firefox as another browser... IE being one of them. Happy

Collapse -
IE View
by r_remco12 / September 29, 2005 11:24 PM PDT

This is a usefull feature, really. But some sites don't use good HTML, CSS or Javascript wich causes things to be displayed wrong. Which is really anoying, for this I have (on my Windows machines) a extension called "IE View" wich starts IE with your current page loaded. It's very easy to use: just right click in the browser screen and select 'View this page in IE' and it loads the page.
I use this when sites really don't work in Firefox. Download it at https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=35&application=firefox

Collapse -
Firefox is my choice.
by lol_hacker101 / November 17, 2006 10:46 AM PST
In reply to: IE View

I used to use IE 6.0, but when I was shown Mozilla Firefox, I noticed it was at least 2x faster and was a lot more reliable. A list of assets and liabilities follow:

Assets

Easy to use
Can apply "themes"
"extensions" extend your online environment
Faster than IE

Liabilities

Some sites are "IE only"
Firefox is widely used, so it becomes a target for hackers and spammers.

Collapse -
MSN's browsing software
by vixenk / September 28, 2005 12:15 PM PDT

MSN's software is pretty much just a plug in/skin for Internet Explorer, as is AOL's software, NOT a browser on it's own.

And as a former MSN employee, I would DEFINATELY suggest you not using their software. It is EXTREMELY buggy as they tend to crank out new versions so fast they don't really bother with working out the kinks in them.

Collapse -
here is my survey
by itvmaster / December 13, 2006 11:15 AM PST

We queried Google, msn, and yahoo for 1000 randomly selected, unique resource identifiers from the entire RC. Yahoo had the higher coverage with 65%. Google had indexed 44%, and MSN only 7%. So, 65% of the all users believe that Yahoo is the best web search engine.

Collapse -
fav browser
by alicedixson / September 8, 2014 2:56 AM PDT

safari and chrome ar ethe best

Collapse -
Slimbrowser
by samgrove / September 27, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

by Fashpeak
Runs on top of IE. I like the tabbed browsing features.

Collapse -
slimborwsers the best!!!
by slash_4600 / September 27, 2005 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Slimbrowser

Alright someone knos about slimbrowser it is the best I`ve used IE Firefox Netscape MSN and non even compare to Slimbrowser

Collapse -
re: slim browser
by jnorman5878 / September 27, 2005 10:34 AM PDT

Absolutely SlimBrowser!!
This is the most customizeable, user friendy, and visually appealing browser in my opinion. Anyone who hasn't tried it yet should do so. http://www.flashpeak.com/

Collapse -
Slimbrowser
by flytdeck / September 27, 2005 12:05 PM PDT

Carries the vulnerabilities of IE, but provides the user with one of the most flexible and feature rich interfaces of any browser available to the general public. Major features;

-Tabs
-One click Website groups
-Auto login
-Customizable popup blocker
-Filter controls

Many features available for the advanced user.
Very rarely I have to revert to IE for a secure site that requires interaction. VERY rarely.
Normal web precautions are in place to inhibit spyware and worms. Firefox looks somewhat limited after using the features available in Slimbrowser.
Slimbrowser is free so worth a look to form your own opinion.

Collapse -
Flashpeak's Slimbrowser
by nandajo / September 27, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

I have been using Slimbrowser for several months and I LOVE it! It doesn't crowd up your taskbar and it is very easy to use. I recommend it to everyone. Packed with many features not available in other browsers, yet it doesn't overwhelm you. Everything is neatly laid out and easily accessible. And it's *FREE*! Check out flashpeak.com if you're interested.

Collapse -
FlashPeak Slimbrowser:
by In-Correct / September 9, 2006 8:24 AM PDT

This message is in reply to: "Flashpeak's Slimbrowser":

I already have it. I have been using it for a long time. It is the best internet browser that I know of. And I have NEVER lost my settings, which has happened on other browsers. It is also the fastest browser, and it locks up a lot less than other browsers, and it has an Automatic Recovery Feature allready loaded.

EVERY Computer should have it.

Collapse -
Tabbed Browsing
by cjgrif / September 27, 2005 1:52 PM PDT

Slimbrowser's tabbed browsing works differently than every other web browser out there (the way entering a URL into the address bar will open the page in a new tab instead of in the current tab, etc.); by far I like Slimbrowser the best.

Collapse -
IE
by jc1234 / September 27, 2005 5:03 PM PDT

I USE INTERNT EXPLOER VERSION 6 WITH XPSP2 AND I HAVE NTLWORLD AS MY HOMEPAGE,I ALSO HAVE BULLGUARD AS MY ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL AND I HVAE NO PROBLEMS WITH VIURUS OR HACKERS AND IF I DID BULLGUARD ARE EVER SO HELPFULL

Collapse -
internet explorer 6
by fiona-grace / November 29, 2005 5:12 PM PST
In reply to: IE

i have always used internet explorer!
when i learnt how to use a computer that is what i learnt on and i have used it since 1999 when i first arrived on the internet!
i have thought about firefox but i have heard bad stuff about it too....
internet explorer works fine for me so if something is working fine then i stick with it!

Collapse -
Crap is not a rose.
by wolfgangmo / September 27, 2005 6:07 PM PDT

Hmmmmm. Once again a product that emulates a better product and it only came out 2 years after. When will you windows chaps look up from your dreaded blue screen of death and smell the apples. Safari does everything slimbrowser does, only it did it 2 years ago and it does it without IE's obvious security flaws, and without being a memory hog. Safari is leaner, meaner, and better. Nyah.

Collapse -
Sorry for you.
by FrenchyHey / September 28, 2005 9:10 AM PDT

I am replying to your message with Firefox 1.07 it does the job in this site and for my banking account I use and access and download from ATI and have actualy an open tickets whith them using Firefox to log in and see the actual ticket answer and solution.

No they did not find yet a solution to my problems ;).

I log also to my MSN.CA automaticaly from Firefox and I am a suscriber of Hotmail+.

Site that I can't use with Firefox is MSN Games for that I use IE and another one with ActiveX required.

I have installed on my kids Firefox after they were infested with Spyware and Trojent because they when to site that target them to target me after.

They when back of course Happy but not infestation yet and now Anti-Virus is doing it Job.

I am using BMO and Caisse Populaire Online Banking and know exactly when I am secure having my address bar turning all together in Yellow in addition to the small padlock.

Once your banking organisation see the benefit of Open Standard for the Website they will follow and maybe you will comeback at that time.

I must add that I could now from the Set Programm Access Defaut tell XP to use Firefox as Primary and even disable IE access of course not IE itself.

I am not going to say like religious guy here to only use Firefox but to use it as least as possible so that real competition start and trive. Only by competition are we truly served. See the example of AMD vice Intel. Without AMD we would still be with Pentinium 75 ok teasing say 600 at 25Mhz increase a year and far away from Hypertrading.

MP3 gave freeedom of the media on wich you listen your music and now Microsoft and Aple try to lock again that although I use very often Multimedia Player Version 10 to play my .avi movie and for the rest rely on my Creative MediaSource Player and other commercial software including Divx Player.

Up to you to go back to IE and not giving a hard time to your banking institution but I would at least give them a small feedback about their none compliance toward open standard?

As you could see I like Microsoft but not all the way.

Have a great day.

Collapse -
What are you talking about??
by In-Correct / September 9, 2006 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for you.

And what exactly is your point?? It sounds like you are saying that FireFox is better and it's NOT. I have had FireFox Crash and reset itself so many times, that I stopped using it and used FlashPeak SlimBrowser. Have you not even used it?? It isn't the same as IE, It is much better. It actually more secure than IE, and anybody can configure their computer to block all those virus things. All you have to do is block 3rd Party Cookies, PopUps, and activate the Firewall and use anti virus and spyware software. If your computer is infested with trojans, all you need to do is that stuff, and not switch to FireFox.

Collapse -
Slimbrowser and Pc-cillin the perfect ...
by Brujitita / September 29, 2005 9:03 PM PDT

Slimbrowser and Pc-cillin the perfect combination Happy I have been using this combination for the last 7 years and it works. I love the anti-popup the frequent updates and all the other useful options they supply. A browser that one would be advised to give a try.

Collapse -
Slimbrowser does the job
by flytdeck / November 24, 2005 6:49 PM PST

This browser has the features I want, works reliably and does a good job blocking popups. Tabs and groups are used constantly.

Honestly, I have not been tempted by any other browser since I started using this one. The security features must be adequate as I have not encountered a problem for the 4 years I have been using the program.

Collapse -
Which browser do you use most?
by Bruce D Ranger / September 27, 2005 10:16 AM PDT

Netscape version 8.0.3.3

Collapse -
Mozilla
by CrazyBare / September 27, 2005 10:26 AM PDT

I've been useing Mozilla 5.0 version 1.7.6 since November 2004, and have no problems with it.

On my last PC I had Netscape 4.7. I didn't upgrade to 6 as it had too many problems with it.

Collapse -
Mozilla
by jegabele / September 27, 2005 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Mozilla

I also prefer the complete Mozilla suite, but, for security reasons and a performance boost, you should update to version 1.7.12. I have no problems with it.

Also,if you are not using it, download the multizilla 1.7.9.0 add on.

Jim

Collapse -
Mozilla
by royc / September 27, 2005 2:08 PM PDT

I am using the complete Mozilla suite version 1.7.12 too. But not email, I use web mail that I use the browser to access.

But who or what is multizilla 1.7.9.0 add on? And where is it hiding? Wink

Collapse -
Mozilla - Multizilla
by jegabele / September 29, 2005 12:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
re. Mozilla - Multizilla
by royc / October 1, 2005 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Mozilla - Multizilla

Thanks for the link.

It was almost what I thought it was.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.