The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Which biometric device would you most like to see?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 17, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

Which biometric device would you most like to see in common use?

Retinal scanner (why?)
Fingerprint reader (why?)
Hand reader (why?)
Voice recognition (why?)
Facial recognition (why?)
Other (what is it?)
None--this is way too sci-fi!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which biometric device would you most like to see?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which biometric device would you most like to see?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i say all of the above
by hoffmanbike / October 18, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

otherwise there would be too many ways around it, fingerprints can be accuratly faked, as can facial recognition (at least in the movies), for me to feel safe and secure using it i would need at least 3 or 4 different tools to verify that it is really me. after all, i'm just a figment of my imagination.

Collapse -
Room for Thought
by SunshineJudy / October 19, 2005 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: i say all of the above

Searching for security without compromise, is a difficult dance. Weighing technological gains against the loss of privacy is tedious and of serious consequence. A link which discribes use of barcode implant for security is interesting, but also brings up other considerations that makes one pause and think:

Collapse -
Reply To: "i say all of the above"
by tdmcdonald / October 28, 2005 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: i say all of the above

This is what a couple of America's most notable forefathers have to say about freedom, liberty, patriotism and security.

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

These gentlemen were not only wise men, they were great Americans. To the person who wrote "i say all of the above." Sir, based on your comments, you are neither a wise person nor a good American. If you really understood what the concept of the being an American was all about you, you would never make such unAmerican comments. Sir you need to pack your bags and move to China, Iran, or some other country where your freedoms are only those that the government choose to give you. Sir you really need to take some college level classes on National government, World government, World Civilization, and Western Civlization, and this is just the beginner's list. Thank you, have a good day!

Tony McDonald

Collapse -
Very Good Point
by sleeppro319 / November 12, 2005 1:54 PM PST

I had not thought of it like that but you are sooooo right!! It's a shame that we have lost some of our God given, honorably fought and died for by many, right to true freedom.

God Bless you,

Collapse -
Fingerprint reader
by cchaparr / October 18, 2005 10:00 AM PDT

Easily accepted form of identification, people aren't going to be as aprehensive towards pressing their thumb on their laptop to login. Not as scary as retinal scanning. Forging fingerprints may be an issue though requiring a second challenge like a password. It would be nice to get to one form but the hacking\forging scare would be too high, or the intrusiveness of the id verification may be too much. This is a topic full of gotchas and alternating concerns.

Collapse -
fingerprint scasnner.
by lfoard / October 18, 2005 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Fingerprint reader

Because there already is a large database of fingerprints, I would think it would be the fastest and easiest to use. But I also wouyld think it mightr help track criminals that their whereabouts wasn't known!

Collapse -
I vote 4 fingerprint
by Wifi / October 18, 2005 11:23 AM PDT

fingerprint is much better who knows what that laser/light can do to your eye/s

Collapse -
Finger print recognition is good.
by jparkhill / October 18, 2005 5:03 PM PDT

First, I was very surprised at the poll results...
but you can still give them the finger. Happy

Collapse -
As an ex-user of figerprint scanning
by Hodgelett / October 18, 2005 7:32 PM PDT

At my old school they converted the library system from the normal signing out in a book to a fingerprint and code scanning system.
We had the right thumb, index, middle and little fingers and the left index scanned on a small cube with an oval infrared screen. This was then stored in the system and turned into a code.
All very well.
When we went to take a book out to log in to our account we would put our right index on the scanner. If this failed to recognise you, you could try another finger.
Sounds good so far.
Personally, I got into my account fine, only once having to use a second finger.
However, apparently there's someone else out there with the same fingerprints. Or two. Yes, two different people managed to sign into my account with their fingerprints. So much for security and 'uniqueness.' The basic finger scanners you will be finding on laptops etc are just not good enough to offer any decent security.

Collapse -
Retinal Scanning......
by Moonstarrz / October 19, 2005 5:23 AM PDT

is the way to go, fingerprints and voices can be altered.

Collapse -
Becoming Too 1984
by Veejay14 / October 18, 2005 8:24 PM PDT

I spent 29 years in the Army (UK) and always supported a common Identity Card for all to use as a Passport etc. Now I can see that we're all going too far down the 1984 road and the Criminal Hacker/Technophobes will have a field day whilst the rest of us are tracked everywhere we go and pay through the nose for the privilege.
I am now against the total reliance on biometrics that is forecast for OUR "Brave New World".

Collapse -
Its already in use
by lugalau / October 18, 2005 11:49 PM PDT

Finger print readers are already in use for inmigrtion and security. The experience being developed will make it easy to adapt to other uses. I suppose that soon you might start a car with your index finger print as today you enter the US with your finger print.
I agree other means might sound scarry to the rest of us.
Good topic

Collapse -
retinal scanner
by clyde.rainey / October 18, 2005 10:01 AM PDT

I think the retinal scanner would be more secure than
finger prints. But then thats just my opinion.

Collapse -
Retinal Scanner for Identification
by brsmicklas / October 18, 2005 3:08 PM PDT
In reply to: retinal scanner

What if you have laser eye surgery? would this not alter the shape and thus the accuracy of the retinal scanner

Collapse -
shouldnt be a problem
by Mobious / October 18, 2005 10:28 PM PDT

although surgery can change the focus of the lense and shape of the retna these can still be accounted for with various lenses and filters on the detector. all the detector is looking at is the pattern of blood vessels that have grown to supply oxygen to the retna.

Collapse -
laser surgery for macular degeneration would affect retinal
by bugman / October 18, 2005 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: shouldnt be a problem

Think again. There are many types of laser eye surgery. LASIK surgery to the cornea would not affect retinal identification. Laser surgery for diseases such as macular degeneration might affect retinal ID because the blood vessels in the retina are hit with a laser to reduce bleeding.

Collapse -
Re: Retinal Scanner for Identification
by PitViper007 / October 18, 2005 10:31 PM PDT

Actually, I believe that with the retinal scan, it's looking at the pattern of veins in the eye which would not change after laser surgery. just my 2

Collapse -
I Say None
by cattluvver / October 18, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

I read and hear things like this and I have to be honest and say it freaks me out. I'm not a religious freak, but back years ago I got involved with some odd groups. Long story short, this not using money and just using our handprint, etc., is even written in the bible. Next step after that is people even get branded. Sounds insane? So did paying for services by swiping your hand on a pad when I read this stuff 20 years ago.

Collapse -
for those who aren't aware
by servantbettyusa / October 18, 2005 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I Say None

For those who aren't aware the person who said that they are not in favor of these retinal scans, fingerprinting, etc. in order to access personal financial records, etc. I, too, am not in favor of this, but Jesus Himself DID tell us not to worry, it is a sign of the times and that His return is near. He said those who are filthy will be filthy still and those who are good should remain good. Peace, everyone because His will and the will of the Father is that NONE should perish, but that all should have eternal life. He said, for those that don't remember, or don't know that none shall be able to buy, sell, or trade, but those that have the mark of the beast. That mark is the number of a man; the number 666. I have been told (don't know, can anyone tell me?) that number is included on the beginning of a barcode. This I do know though, Jesus said that no soul shall be saved, but that the time of the end was cut short. He said even the elect will struggle during the time that is coming, so people get Ready!!!

Collapse -
I wanna be aware...
by LazyEight / October 19, 2005 6:02 AM PDT

but it's hard to take you seriously. After all, you probably still have all of your stuff--what use will you have for it where you're going? Still, it's nice to know we have options to twist the arm of The Lord when his plan is moving too interminably slow for his followers. I say we skip the passive biometrics, and have our bar codes tattooed and RFIDs implanted. I'm getting tired of waiting.

Collapse -
Reply to: for those who aren't aware
by Gatestorm / October 23, 2005 12:10 PM PDT

Let me say that my beliefs are Evangelical Christian. I believe in God. And I use the Bible.

Unlike you, am not opposed to the use of biometrics to guard against personal security at this stage of technology. I personally think that the use of retinal scanners would be the best measure at this point to help protect sensitive information. Although no technology is failsafe, I think that the fingerprint scanners, voice or face recognition could prevent even the correct user from accessing the information. A burn, a cut, or other minor injuries occur much more fequently on your fingers then on the eyes; and voices vary illness. Couldn't you possibly be 'locked' out of your own information if you fell ill, put some soup on the stove, reached for the pot and seared the tips of your fingers?
As to your worry that these are ushering in the end of the earth, allow me to address that, none of these devices thus far require an alteration or addition to our bodies such as microchips inserted under the skin.
Second, don't be so quick to jump on the barcode 666 bandwagon. Be aware that numerology can be manipulated to make the outcome read what you want it to. The barcode 666 argument converts the numbers to its BCD (binary coded decimal) form, then basically states that inside the code, once translated into BCD the scanner reads a 6 to start the process, a 6 as the mid-point, and a 6 to end the code. That is a bunch of nonsense, as barcodes vary for each and every product. Will you find the occasional barcode that will support the 666 arguments, yes, but you will find many others that don't. Also, did you know that if you add the numeric values of the letters of the word computer together is adds up to the number 111 multiply that by the factor of man which is 6 and you get 666. But, oh wait, it gets even more dangerous, you probably use a credit card, if so, toss away your VISA. For you see, VI is the Roman numeral for 6, S is similar to the Greek numeral for 6 and A is similar the Hebrew numeral for 6. Ooo creepy! You swipe the card with your right hand and enter a pin number which you have memorized, stored in your head! (''He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.'' Rev 13:16-17 NIV) Nothing is 'calculated' the same way twice yet too many people put some stock in what numerolgy 'says'. Don't believe it.
The signs of the end are also over exaggerated. Every couple of generations from the time of Christ has made the claim to the end of the world. But only one thing remains true; no one, not even the Son of God, knows neither the day nor the hour. Despite all of our 'signs' that the doomsayers rely so heavily on they miss that too many of the prophecy has yet to pass. Without getting into the other 'signs' that people base too much faith on, let me say that each generation for eons has had it own 'Beast' heck, even Ronald Reagan was once touted as the Beast for his radical ideas and because of a house that he once lived in had an address that was 666. A barcode scanner, a retinal scanner, or a fingerprint scanner is not a sign of the mark of the beast, nor of Christ's return; it is merely a piece of technology design to safeguard your sensitive records from getting into the hands of the unscrupulous.
I could write much, much more on the 'signs' that people are putting their faith on as to the end of the world as we no it, from weather systems to technology, and why they aren't what many zealots believe them to be, but this is not the place to do so.

Collapse -
step forward or step back?
by angles456 / October 18, 2005 10:05 AM PDT

Even though we may be frightened by some of the advances in technology, we cannot stop it. In an ideal world any of the biometric devices would be safe and secure, but this is not an ideal world. Consequently all the devices are open to abuse and only the moral or ethical constraints of individuals will stop most people from attemting to 'crack' the system.
One thing that does concern me is if any organisation chooses only one method of identification, what happens if circumstances change? eg. if a person goes blind, or burns their hand, etc.

Collapse -
by Erica Johnson / October 18, 2005 10:06 AM PDT

I am for anything that uses the unique information of our body such as fingerprint and retina. Fingerprints have always been known as being unique to one person and I am assuming the retina is also, so it makes it more difficult for thieves or terrorists to duplicate or "hack" this information.

With voice recognition, there is slim chance of recording a voice and using it. However, it is possible with possible technology.

Collapse -
implantable device in hand
by hjbasson / October 18, 2005 10:06 AM PDT

this will be the ultimate end product--

Collapse -
I see one serious problem
by LionsMike / October 18, 2005 10:23 AM PDT

Just think today they steal your keys or your identity. You can get new keysfor your new locks or repair your identity. Tomorrow when the steal your hand it will a bit more difficult to get a new one or repair the arm with a missing hand..

Collapse -
by hjbasson / October 18, 2005 11:40 AM PDT

go to google & look up "verichip" or "mondex smartcard".

Collapse -
by PitViper007 / October 18, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

By the time this kind of technology becomes widespread, they'll be able to grow you a new hand from a clone.

Collapse -
by drwho / October 18, 2005 10:07 AM PDT

RETINAL SCAN biometrics should be the choice, not figerprints. You can't duplicate someone's retina with talcum power and sticky tape. Also, unlike fingerprints, they do not change with age; plus people with "digit deformities", the mentally challenged, and Dain Bramaged (LOL!) DO have EYES in their head.

Another thing, BLIND people, though they can't see out of them, still have eyes with unique retinal patterns which could be used for ID.

At the far end of the SCI-FI spectrum, I doubt it would ever be taken to the extent seen in the movie MINORITY REPORT, since the scanners of today have to be used UP-CLOSE, not from a distance as was done in the movie.

Collapse -
None, unless
by FMGuido / October 18, 2005 10:10 AM PDT

I wouldn't care as long as no company or person were allowed to use or sell my information without my conscent or track my activities without a warrant.

Collapse -
What we have is good
by robertjvan / October 18, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

What we have is good

None--this is way too sci-fi!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.