Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Which Apple product are you?

by oluffen5 / January 28, 2012 3:47 AM PST

If you could describe yourself as an Apple product, either old or new, which one would you be? What qualities do you have or wish you had and of course; why? Laugh

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Apple product are you?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Apple product are you?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
apple product
by gilljhonson / March 13, 2012 11:46 PM PDT

Apple Mac Book Pro simply love it

Collapse -
Which Apple product are you?
by StevenDilley / July 23, 2012 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: apple product

Hello friends,

With all of the new electronics that are available among all of the different companies, these days, it is important to understand the differences between all of them and how you can save money because they all tend to run at a very expensive price. Buying your iPhone parts separately and putting everything together you can be a lot more economical that buying everything brand new. Though it can be more time-consuming; you will thank yourself later for saving so much money. The same goes for MacBook parts; the goal is to get the nice computer without completely emptying your wallet.

Best regards

Collapse -
Not economical to purchase parts for
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 23, 2012 10:08 PM PDT

an iMac or iPhone to build your own, for a couple of reasons.

1. The parts are not available from Apple, the only supplier
2. The cost of those parts means that the Sum is greater than the whole.

Presumably you have never purchased parts for you car, the cost of all the parts on your average car would price that car at many thousands of (insert you own currency here) above the sticker price of the vehicle.

Collapse -
Are you sure this is realistic? Do you do this yourself?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / July 24, 2012 1:57 AM PDT

I really doubt you can piece together an Apple product together and let alone actually save money. Can you give me an example of where I can easily find parts for an iPhone or MacBook or even an iPad, so I can put it together?

Do you put together your HDTVs and Blu-ray players also to save money?

First for me time is money and if it takes me weeks to find or track down parts to piece together an iPhone (that is if parts are readily available) and hours to put the phone all together --granted that the parts don't add up to more than retail cost of the phone and it also works immediately after I solder all the part together with no mistakes, it's not worth it. Plus you have to know how to load the OS and give it an IMEI/serial number (which I have no idea how you would do that) --this will be required since carriers need this to authenticate the hardware so it will work with their system.

FWIW you can buy a Honda Accord all built and ready to drive from around $27,000, but if you were to piece together a Honda Accord by buying all the part for it and putting together yourself it will probably cost you 3x as much and that's not including the time spent to put it together and tools it's gonna cost you to DIY.

I'm sure what you state can be done, given that you can find the parts, but saving money? I think that is out of the question. Wouldn't you be better off buying a used or refurbished one?

Just my .02 worth.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.