Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Which Apple is best for me??

by rangerdanger / June 1, 2008 11:50 PM PDT

Ok, this summer I'm looking at getting an Apple laptop. I already have a Windows deskop, but have always wanted the Apple and I am willing to pay for it. Just some info on me: I'll be 16 in October and a Sophmore in High School. We always seem to be writing a paper, so thats a big point. I'm a big computer/Mac person, so I love computing power!!
I don't travel alot, but sometimes on those quick one or two hour trips for the relative place, it'd be nice to have something to do other than my IPOD. My main thing I love to do is browse the web and just mess around. When I get my liscense, I'd like to be able to take my laptop with me to a coffee shop, or some other wi-fi hotspot to sit and relax.

Ok, now that you know some about me, I'll go ahead and post my likes and dislikes on the Macbook/Pro's real quick. On the Pro, I love the LED display the most. I don't know when apple is going to relase them on the Macbook, but thats my main selling point. Also, the keyboard is nice, along with the finsih. (The Macbook's keyboard seems a bit odd to me)
On the Macbook, I really like the screen size, To me, it seems just about perfect. My only real dislike on it though, is the graphics. In the future, I may plan on using the laptop for some mild gaming. Just something to do on a long trip or something like that.

So, any ideas on which Mac is right for me?? Thanks!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Apple is best for me??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Apple is best for me??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The clues were your "travel" and "games"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2008 12:55 AM PDT

I'd look very hard at the Macbook Pro in the 15 inch sizes. The more expensive model is for "gamers" with an uptick in the GPU and CPU. I suggest the 15 inch screen since it travels well. You'll learn the lesson too soon if you get the bigger screen. And when at home you could later add a big external display.

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by rangerdanger / June 7, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

I think I'm going to go with the $1299 Macbook. I thought it over and decided I didn't need the gaming part right now. Now I'm just waiting to see if Apple is relasing an update to the Macbooks for LED screens!! Fingers crossed!!

Collapse -
I'd wait until after WWDC
by BeatleMegaFan / June 7, 2008 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, but...

or the month of June altogether, though that may be a tad extreme.

The MacBooks are very nice computers, but with integrated graphics and a plastic housing, it's more of a mixed bag. I wouldn't call some of those "issues", or better, "short-comings", deal-killers, but those are things that you should be aware of. Rumors about an aluminum enclosure for the MacBooks have been flying around for months now, as well as the LED screens that you seem to want.
Whenever you decide to finally buy one, remember that Apple is sure to update them within the not-too-distant future. Still, they are great machines for casual users and you may get a lot of use out of one.

Collapse -
Thats what I planned!
by rangerdanger / June 7, 2008 11:36 PM PDT

I planned on doing. I plan on taking the day off from work (I work for my Dad, so its no big deal) and trying to find a way to see the keynote. Right now, all I really want from Apple is the LED screen, but hey, if they decide to do an aluminum case, all the better for me. It would seem logical, since everything else is in the aluminum case.

Collapse -
What Apple should do
by BeatleMegaFan / June 8, 2008 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats what I planned!

is throw some aluminum on the MacBooks, which would also help with some of the heat issues I have heard about, and find an even better alloy for the MacBook Pros to differentiate the consumer and professional models. We shall see what happens this year...

I too, plan on watching the keynote live. If I read some schedule right, in my area, the keynote will start at about noon, so I guess I'll have some entertainment with lunch. Grin

Collapse -
How do you
by rangerdanger / June 9, 2008 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: What Apple should do

Get it live. Any ideas. Around here, it will start around two in the afternoon. I would really like to watch it live, but don't know how. Thanks

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 9, 2008 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you

There is not a live video feed of the keynote but if you point your browser at you will get live updates as the keynote progresses.

Sorry, best I can do

Collapse -
That's as good as it gets
by BeatleMegaFan / June 9, 2008 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you

Yep, only live blogs and the like are available for WWDC. The actual keynote will be available for download via Apple's site or iTunes afterwards.

Collapse -
Consider this
by eldernorm / June 23, 2008 2:44 AM PDT

I have purchased several computers from Apple under their refurbished computers. They all looked like new, ran like new, have full warrenttees and cost a lot less. I got a MacBook 13 inch (not dvd burner only reader) for $850 us. Cannot beat that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.