Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Which Antivirus works best with Firefox?

by Chargerfan / February 27, 2005 12:00 PM PST

What do you guys reccomend in Antivirus and spyware for Firefox?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which Antivirus works best with Firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which Antivirus works best with Firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As far as I know
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 8:47 PM PST

they all do.

Antivirus and anti-spyware programs are not browser specific.

Mark

Collapse -
Firefox and ZA&AVG
by Graydog / March 4, 2005 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: As far as I know

I have used Firefox with ZoneAlarm pro and AVG7 for sometime and everything works great

Collapse -
Firefox v.4.0 and ZoneAlarm Extreme
by judyb2008 / April 18, 2011 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: As far as I know

I use ZoneAlarm Extreme on my desktop and tried to install the latest version of it on a netbook with Firefox 4.0. BAD IDEA. Per ZoneAlarm's tech support, Z.A. does not support Firefox version 4.0. Earlier might be okay, but not 4.0. It caused 4.0 to crash and no longer see the internet, even though Internet Explorer had no problem with Z.A. Extreme and network connectivity.

Collapse -
I'm surprised
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 10:26 PM PDT

I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite and it has no problems with Firefox 4.

It's strange because a browser is just a browser, and anti-virus/firewalls don't really care about them, other than the firewall component may want to ask you if it should allow the browser to access the internet.

What is that link to ZA's comments about FF4?

May be it's some component of ZA Extreme that doesn't like FF4? EG, a browser add-on? If so, disable that.

By the way, you are posting into a thread that began in 2005. You're lucky that I 'pooped in' when I was just passing by.

Mark

Collapse -
McAfee has probs
by raukett / May 9, 2005 1:28 PM PDT

i had an earlier version of McAfee from when I used Explorer. When I switched to Firefox I bought the new version of McAfee. It works but it won't register because of the old settings that were captured by Explorer (and it won't let go)and because it won't register, it won't update.

Collapse -
You don't need anything
by dagger906 / May 10, 2005 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: McAfee has probs

With firefox and no IE you're probably safe enough anyway. I haven't found any malware with several different programs since using Firefox.

Collapse -
My Setup
by TuneUp / May 10, 2005 4:44 PM PDT

Basically you're safe with firefox but still require a firewall in case you use instant messengers or go to those naughty sites

AVG 7
Sygate Personal Firewall
Firefox
Spyware Doctor
Ad-aware personal
Spybot

Collapse -
Which Antivirus........
by Earthquake McGoon / May 20, 2005 10:19 PM PDT

I don't know which one is BEST, but I have been using ZL
Security Suite & BitDefender with Firefox, and I think it's bulletproof. I also have Spyware Blaster (which is great!) Ad-Aware & MS Anti-spyware. Since I installed
Spyware Blaster, my Ad-Aware has had nothing to get rid of. I don't use the Ad-Aware much any more. I also went to www.infostar.com, gave Peter a donation for maintaining the best website going, and downloaded discombobulator, shoot the messenger and unpnp. I also did a free scan with ShieldsUp! and my PC is invisible, according to them!

Compaq S3000V W/ Pent IV, WinXP Home, 1gB RAM, 100
gB Western Digital HD, floppy, CD-ROM & CD-RW.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Firefox/antivirus
by rmaran / January 12, 2011 2:55 AM PST

I am actually wondering the same thing because I think it does matter which antivirus you're using with firefox. I was looking in options and it said that my antivirus is not compatible with it. I am not sure why that is. One time I installed firefox and received a message that said it was a critical file and not to install it, I thought that was kind of strange too. I need to have firefox for school though, so, if anyone knows whats going on it would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2011 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox/antivirus

No browser should fail because of anti-virus, so your post is a little surprising. You don't say which anti-virus you use, nor what the full error message is, so it is difficult to say more, but I suspect there are other issues on this computer that is causing any failure.

Mark

Collapse -
re
by rmaran / January 12, 2011 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Strange

I'm using Kaspersky and my browser isn't failing, the antivirus just doesn't protect it. I don't remember the error message the time I tried to download firefox but it advised me not to download it and said something about it being a critical file.

Collapse -
Where did you download Firefox from?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2011 7:44 PM PST
In reply to: re
Collapse -
What exactly do you mean with ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 12, 2011 7:52 PM PST

"Kaspersky doesn't protect it". What do you expect your antivirus to do in a browser that Kaspersky doesn't and why do you think it doesn't?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Firefox options
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 12, 2011 7:51 PM PST
In reply to: Firefox/antivirus

Please tell more details. In Firefox 3.6 in Tools>Options I can't find anything mentioning antivirus with me. Not even that it is compatible?

But you say in your message that you installed it and even can look in its options. So I'd say you can use it for school. No problem left. Everything fine.

Interesting side question: why can't you use Internet Explorer or Chrome for school?

Kees

Collapse -
re
by rmaran / January 13, 2011 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Firefox options

I can't use another browser because none of them are compatible with the online part of my class, they mess with the tests and some of the information won't even come up in internet explorer. The teacher just requested it. Also you know how antivirus usually scans your cookies and email, I guess it sort of attaches to your browser or something well my antivirus checks internet explorer not firefox even though firefox is the default and in my options under manage add ons, extensions it says kaspersky is incompatible w/ firefox 4.0

Collapse -
Re: antivirus and browsers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 13, 2011 7:05 AM PST

Cookies are just text. They can't contain viruses. No need for an antivirus to scan them. And, from your story, you can use another browser for your mail if you use a webbased mail (like gmail or hotmail by default).

Then for the firefox add-on. There are 5000 of them. Which one is giving which exact message? Or do you mean the manage add ons, extensions of IE or of KAV? Not clear from your post.

Are you afraid that the course material contains a virus. That would be a bad course! If not, there's no need for using antivirus when visiting that school site. Use Firefox only for that and use a browser that makes you feel better protected for everything else.

Or use another antivirusprogram that's more compatible.

Or use the standard version of Firefox (that's 3.6.13 at the moment), in stead of the experimental 4.0. Nothing wrong, of course, of using test and beta versions of a program, but then don't come complaining here that not all your software is compatible with it. Better use it only in a special test machine.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: difference between DVD+R and DVD-R
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 13, 2011 5:25 PM PST

There is a technical difference (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR for example), but as long you the drive can read the disk and you're not interested in writing a burning program it's totally unimportant. Luckily, all drives sold now can read both types (and more).

Kees

Collapse -
Re: don
by rmaran / January 15, 2011 2:53 PM PST

I was only responding to someone's message. My instructors advised me not to use anything except firefox for my courses, especially with the 2 problems I've mentioned.

Collapse -
Re: more on don't come complaining here
by rmaran / January 15, 2011 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: Re: don

Isn't that what this place is for computer problems?

Collapse -
That and Discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2011 3:04 PM PST

Some come here with problems and members do their best but there are no paid staff and no mandate to answer all questions. Some don't know that and get a little demanding which is OK but at that point someone will note what this place is!
bob

Collapse -
That specific comment
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 15, 2011 9:52 PM PST

was in relation to Firefox v 4.

That version is still in Beta, for testing purposes, and we can do little or nothing to help with problems with beta software. Beta testers are encouraged to report such problems back to the developers. That is what testing is all about.

It seems you are having problems with your Beta version of Firefox and so the best advice we could give is to uninstall it and go back to the latest stable version. That's Firefox 3.6.13 at present.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.