The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Which antivirus utility protects your computer?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 22, 2007 5:55 AM PST

Which antivirus utility protects your computer and why did you choose that particular one?

AVG Anti-Virus
BitDefender Antivirus
CA Antivirus
Kaspersky Anti-Virus
McAfee VirusScan
NOD32 antivirus
Norton AntiVirus
Panda Titanium Antivirus
Trend Micro AntiVirus
Other (what is it?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which antivirus utility protects your computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which antivirus utility protects your computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...
by animalcrosser107 / February 23, 2007 1:22 AM PST

I used to have the Mcfee for a little bit, but then bought the norton anti virus...

Collapse -
Why I use Panda A-V, A-S
by jhecht / February 23, 2007 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

I've tried most of the others, both for myself and clients. I now use Panda, and recommend it. It's faster, takes less in the way of system resources, and eliminates more bad guys. Two more good reasons, you can install it on 3 computers (legally) for the cost of 1 license, and you can actually contact a real live human being for tech support at Panda. Norton (Symantic) is terrible about providing live techs, and McCaffe is about the same. AVG support is decent, but only email.

Collapse -
panda incompatibility with stuff
by teetoncey / February 23, 2007 6:47 AM PST

Long story short: Panda conflicts with sonic.net, causing it to crash every few minutes. When the sonic.net people finally told me this, and I got rid of Panda, everything was fine. (Panda are also insistent that NO [other] antispyware programs be on the same computer. This suggests other incompatibilities, at least potential, across some of which I think I've run.)

Moral- if you're having a problem with ANY new program, and are using Panda, try deleting Panda and the running the program. If the new program then works, you may decide whether you need Panda, or can get by with, say, AVG (which both sonic.net and my local computer supermaven recommended, and which works fine. And is free.)

Collapse -
Panda
by annie51ks / February 23, 2007 1:35 PM PST

I used Norton for many years, but new computer came with Panda installed. After renewal, I began having email problems...Panda marked them as security risks and made them inaccessible. Tech support claimed my AdAware and Spybot were causing the problem. Funny they worked with Panda before the renewal! I had to remove AdAware and Spybot, uninstall and re-install Panda and STILL had blocked mail. Finally had to change settings to bare minimum. Panda DOES NOT catch many bugs that AdAware and Spybot did, but I can't use them with Panda. When this subscription expires, I'm going back to Norton!

Collapse -
Avast is the Antivirus I choose
by vhofman / February 23, 2007 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

Most important effectiveness. I've used Norton, AVG, Mcafee, all of which left some Item undetected on my system. Avast has not ever let me down. It does not seem to have any major system hogs as though some antivirus's have. It isn't the most user friendly at first. But, you can make it around. Oh did I mention it is free also.

Collapse -
I LOVE Avast
by Maximusprime2x / February 23, 2007 1:22 PM PST

I was happy to see (Avast) on cnet.com.I've used Avast over two years now and never had a virus.besides being free its not a (RAM HOG).PC boots fast updates quick without any user intervention. and the enterface is quite simple to use.and the program WORKS:)

Collapse -
I use Avast
by Kdogtrainer1 / November 21, 2007 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: I LOVE Avast

Had McAfee for years. Got Avast and it immediately found 2 trojans in my computer. Like it because it scans the memory at startup and doesn't wait until everything is running before it scans. Found out McAfee doesn't scan the memory when starting the computer.

Collapse -
AVAST!
by themarkb / November 22, 2007 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: I use Avast

I've used Avast! on three computers for the last three years and have been virus free. It automatically updates and is very easy to use. Anyone paying for their anti virus program is wasting their money.

Collapse -
Avast! The only one that really works!
by DigiSat / February 23, 2007 3:07 PM PST

Just as the others state, Avast! is the only one that really works without slowing down your computer operations. I have been using Avast! for many years and continously is the best.

I have tried many other virus programs and they all work well, but they have not provided the level of protection that Avast! provides.

Other programs have annoying pop-ups such as Symantic and Norton. Avast! has none.

Like vhofman stated, Avast! for home use is completely free. They do require registration but it does not need to be done right away. You have 30 days to register and it is just as simple and free. The registration will give you a 14 month license and when that expires, you can register again for another 14 months.

Collapse -
avast home edition
by philsmith / February 23, 2007 3:41 PM PST

i to have used avast for a few years excellent software and gives solid protection and its completly free waht more can you ask

Collapse -
I agree
by campbell2644 / February 23, 2007 7:29 PM PST
In reply to: avast home edition

Just agreeing with the others and for the same reasons. Avast has done me proud

Collapse -
AVAST! THE BEST FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by Socratea / February 25, 2007 1:59 PM PST

Sorry cnet i saw this alot by you that you guys never mention avast, you guys just ignore it!
cnet editors tooo bad for you AVAST WORKS THE BEST
Well i used these all AV AVAST NORTON MCAFEE KASPERSKY & More, well avast won

Collapse -
AVAST anti-virus, the best? Nah....
by twyrick / February 26, 2007 4:58 AM PST

I worked for an on-site computer service company for 2 years, doing as many as 5 virus/spyware removal type calls per day. My experience, while doing that, was that AVAST is a "decent" product, but not "the best" at finding and eliminating existing trojan horse virii.

We purchased AVAST's "B.A.R.T." product (boots into a customized version of XP off of CD, and allows running AVAST anti-virus on the files/folders of the hard drive afterwards). A tool they give you creates ISO images to burn onto CDR that combine this product with the latest anti-virus signatures, so you can always make a fresh, updated bootable CD.

This was a useful tool, by the mere fact that you weren't running an infected operating system while trying to clean it... but even after the most exhaustive scan with AVAST in this manner, I could *usually* go back through with AVG Anti-Virus after it was done and find at least 4-10 things it missed.

Collapse -
2 anti-viruses at the same time?
by purpleheathbug / November 22, 2007 5:03 AM PST

I thought that you weren't supposed to run 2 anti-virus programs at the same time. Or, am I missing something; run one and then the other? I tried Avast once, and couldn't get it to install on my computer.

Collapse -
2 antivir at same time
by turby_tudy / November 23, 2007 3:22 AM PST

I use 2 antivir: Nod32 craked (because i test programs first and then buy them)and avg 7.5 anti malware + avg antispyware 7.5 nod didn't update anymore so i instaled avg when avg misses a trojan nod allerts me, but avg finds most trojans. Theese are "eatting" some resoursez but i have enough....
ps: sorry for my bad english

Collapse -
2 anti-viruses at the same time
by oertel / November 29, 2007 9:56 PM PST

Hi! who says you cannot or should not run 2 ant.vir. at the same time,
i'm running avg free edition, ThreatFire, spybot search & destroy, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Microsoft Defender and Comodo Firewall Pro all in one go on a Pentium 4 3ghz, mainboard with 8 times speed and 1Gbyte of ram, and it's running fine.I can guarantee you my machine is harmfull software free.
with all this security,i visit any site, any time, assured. It's always
updated, all of them, so is my operating system.

Collapse -
Almost too sure
by randysvh / December 1, 2007 2:55 PM PST

No matter what you do in windows, it is never 100% secure or isolated from intrusions. What you are running is helpful, but i can tell you it is not enough. As long as it is working for you then stick with it. Do not be surprised the day it comes crashing down on you or it slows down again.

randy

Collapse -
yes
by mohal_vicky83 / November 23, 2007 10:33 AM PST

avast 4 is best ever from any antivirus although it is norton, macfee, avg or other. it is extremely fast and simple to use. update quickly. amazing.

Collapse -
Avast the real one
by Packet Jacques / November 22, 2007 9:53 PM PST

i to have used avast for a few years excellent software and gives solid protection and its completly free waht more can you ask

Collapse -
I found another good free Anti-Virus
by startbiz4u / February 24, 2007 4:47 AM PST

I have found CyberDefender to be the best I've ever had. I never heard of it before, then after reading and seeing all the awards, I'm a believer....WoW anybody ever used it before? Dean

Collapse -
AGREED!!
by downrightpoison / March 3, 2007 3:39 PM PST

yes i <3 cyberdefender
uses little memory tells me when i need windows updates
does spyware
viruses
its just an all around fantastic program

Collapse -
AVG
by STIHLBOLTS / November 22, 2007 12:04 PM PST

I used Norton before on several computers it came loaded on. There were always conflicts and lock ups on those computers. My computer guru recommended AVG and the problems have been almost zero.

Collapse -
antivirus
by minh t / November 22, 2007 9:16 PM PST

I selected bitdefender

Collapse -
AVAST!!!!!! ROCKS!!!!!
by tintinet / November 21, 2007 11:13 PM PST

Who devised this defective poll? Why is AVAST! not on the list of choices? A bit of discrimination, ISTM!

Collapse -
Avast!
by slowburn / November 21, 2007 11:50 PM PST

I also Choose to use Avast! as my antivirus. It updates on a regular basis and in my experience it works very well. Will continue to use on all machines for the foreseeable future.

Collapse -
Avast is terrific - and free
by esa11y / November 22, 2007 1:11 AM PST

title says it all. compact, effective, catches virus' norton and mcaffee missed. love it.

Collapse -
Totally agrred!
by homestarrunner247 / November 22, 2007 1:12 AM PST

AVAST ROCKS!

so thorough!

it's amazing

Collapse -
I use this one too.
by mdcardon3641 / November 22, 2007 10:34 AM PST

I have used both Norton and McAfee and I don't like the way they take control of your system. This has been the only other one I can find that is any good, that truly works in a 64 bit OS mode.

Collapse -
Avast for me too.
by gambleje / November 22, 2007 11:23 PM PST

Free. Norton and Mcafee are system hogs. I have had no problems with this Antivirus software. Does the job. Constant updates. Why spend a lot of money on software that causes problems?

Collapse -
avast and avg
by david golde / November 23, 2007 1:22 AM PST

i use avast as the primary AV and I would not change to another. it is the most impressive program i have seen as of yet. it has saved my bacon a few times and you can't argue the price. i also run avg and to my surprise both avast and avg run well together. what one doesn't pick up the other does. mostly small things that i would never suspect as a problem. overall the avast picks up 99% while the avg confirms what the avast has identified.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.