TVs & Home Theaters forum

Which 32'' Full HD LED Smart TV should i buy?

by Drishti007 / October 30, 2013 1:37 PM PDT

I have narrowed down my choices to the following 2 models:

1. Samsung UA32F5500ARLXL

2. Sony 32w670a

While Sony looks extremely sexy, the local retailer has told me that it doesn't play movies using an external HDD. Can you guys confirm that?

On the other hand, Samsung doesn't score on the design factor, but it has received a lot of rave reviews for its Smart TV functions.

So, i am totally confused right now. My heart tells me Sony, but i dont want to regret my decision later. So, which one should i buy ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Which 32'' Full HD LED Smart TV should i buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Which 32'' Full HD LED Smart TV should i buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Given the headaches of HDD video playback.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 2:18 PM PDT

You can find too many complaints about the video decoding in Smart TVs. I'd ignore that and go with...

1. Warranty (who gives you 2 or more years?)
2. Best PQ.

Collapse -
Sony has got looks, Samsung's got features
by Drishti007 / October 30, 2013 4:31 PM PDT

Both of them are providing an year warranty. Plus, an option to extend it for 3 years.

The price is almost similar. What about the smart TV functionality of both the brands - Samsung and Sony?

Collapse -
And Samsung has PIA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 4:37 PM PDT
Collapse -
No ok with PIA
by Drishti007 / October 30, 2013 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: And Samsung has PIA.

I am not at all ok with Samsung PIA, but i am not worried about it.

I've been told that Sony doesn't play a lot of movie formats. I would want to watch movies with my whole family (in MKV) format. So i guess i need to test both the Televisions at the store (it is embarrassing though).

Another thing, Sony has got a 5W speaker.. A lot of people are complaining about the sound. Samsung, on the other hand, has got a 10W speaker. Is there a lot of difference between the two?

Collapse -
And since MKV is a container of formats.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2013 6:13 PM PDT
In reply to: No ok with PIA

Sorry but I'm always interested to read what folk think about video containers, encoding and the issues around this area. No maker should declare they support all MKV files since what's in a MKV can be encoded in many different ways. As the TVs are not open to tinkering yet, some folk dive into this area and come back either upset or worse for wear.

Collapse -
Let me be brutally honest
by Pepe7 / October 31, 2013 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: No ok with PIA

The idea of these HDTVs supporting even a reasonable amount of very typical file types/codecs is a pipe dream. Don't even get into something as tricky as an MKV wrapper. That's why folks often buy relatively inexpensive video streamers (a la Roku, WDTV Live, Apple TV, etc.) to do the job properly. Heck, it's easy enough to grab a bare bones laptop or old desktop and feed practically any content you like to the HDTV using free software such as VLC. That way you can control software/hardware w/o silly limitations of HDTVs.

As far as built in speakers go, it's the same song and dance. You utilize external speakers to improve any sound quality that doesn't meet your needs. Understand, one guy/family might find one HDTV suitable but the next hate it altogether. It might not be as simple as 10W > 5W either. This is why you do need to test them out properly, even though its' a pain. I would save yourself the trouble and hook it up to a simple HTIB system, or craigslist hifi for $30-50. Makes a huge difference IMNSHO, since you can dramatically increase the sound field when you can (phyiscally) separate even a cheap set of external speakers vs what Sony deems acceptable w/ 5W (etc.)

Collapse -
Tested both of them, Sony is better..
by Drishti007 / October 31, 2013 2:03 PM PDT

After 4th consecutive days of testing the televisions (even LG and Philips included), I am very confused about which one to buy.

Thank you everyone here for helping me out even with some of my silliest queries.

If you had to purchase one, which one would you have bought - Sony or Samsung? (I've posted the links above)

Collapse -
Why are you still confused?
by Pepe7 / November 1, 2013 2:04 AM PDT

Be verbose and we can help you narrow it down. We can also help you navigate towards a media streaming solution too, if the HDTV you end up with doesnt' do everything you need it to do.

IMNSHO, you have done a great job if you have at least discovered which you you prefer based on PQ.

Collapse -
Although I have not seen the tv in person, but...
by Oldartq / October 31, 2013 4:19 PM PDT

I get the feeling maybe the Sony may have a slight edge in PQ so I tend to lean towards the Sony. As for sound and media playing features, that can be improve externally if need be in the future when you want to but PQ is what you see now is what you get. just my thought on this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.