Networking & Wireless forum

Where will faster wireless be noticed?

by Disneyfan / January 5, 2013 12:24 AM PST

I'm in the market for a new router. I have a mix of Windows and Mac products in my house so need support for both platforms. I am considering the new AC routers that have hit the market just so that I will have that support down the road. As I look at all the quotes of blazing wireless speeds, it brings up the question... where will that additional speed be noticed? I don't believe it will make my internet connection any faster. So will the additional benefit only be noticed when one device shares with another on my network?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where will faster wireless be noticed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where will faster wireless be noticed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Do you have AC capable adaptors?
by wpgwpg / January 5, 2013 12:45 AM PST

To see a speed increase you'll need AC capable adaptors on your computers. If you do, the claim is 3 times faster than wireless-G. That should be noticeable on complex sites like the Weather Channel, but especially on large downloads. I've downloaded several ISO files for versions of Windows 7 and 8 that take 20-30 min. even with my Comcast cable connection. Of course as you point out, wireless connections between computers would be faster as well. It might even make it practical to do system backups wirelessly; it's sure not with wireless-N. I backed up a 14 GB partition with wireless-N yesterday, and it took 80 minutes. The connection had 5 bars FWIW.

Collapse -
No where.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 1:03 AM PST

Because your everyday WiFi can hit 54 megabit per second and your internet access is usually 10 to so many megabits the bottleneck to the internet is not the WiFi. I see you already figured out the benefit is to device to device communication.

Collapse -
AC Router
by Disneyfan / January 5, 2013 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: No where.

I know that I can't take advantage of AC benefits without having an AC adapter on the computer. My speed question was a general one. When one router claims to be faster than another, assuming that you have a supported adapter, where would you see the benefits? I know that it won't make my internet speed faster since that is at the mercy of my provider (Time Warner) and their modem. However, would I see improvements with streaming, etc? For example, I have an Apple TV (3rd gen) connected via Ethernet and to my TV. I use it for streaming iTunes as well as Netflix and Hulu Plus. Will there be any improvement there?

The first responder to my question stated that he sees improvements with download speed and with interacting with some web sites (e.g. Weather Channel). Can that really be as a result of a "faster" router?

Collapse -
I use it for streaming iTunes as well as Netflix and Hulu P
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: AC Router

" I use it for streaming iTunes as well as Netflix and Hulu Plus. Will there be any improvement there?"

I think you know it will be so little that I would not count on it. I do like the AC POWERLINE NETWORK LINK for other reasons such as avoiding going over WiFi.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.