Smart Home & Appliances forum

Question

where to get a copy of

by kd5exp / March 11, 2012 11:12 PM PDT

I need a download of windows XP Home to load on my new hard drive. Where can I find a download of this. Thanks Gene

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where to get a copy of
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where to get a copy of
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: download of Windows XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: where to get a copy of

If you're a MSDN member it's available. But becoming one is more expensive than buying a disk with a license.
There's no legal other source.

- Didn't your PC come with an XP disk?
- Didn't your PC come with recovery disk or the possibility to make one?
- Didn't you make an 'image' of your old hd?
- Can you order a recovery disk with the manufacturer? That's cheaper than buying a new license.

Kees

Collapse -
windows xp home
by kd5exp / March 11, 2012 11:58 PM PDT

no it was on the hard drive and when it went I lost it. I had a recovery disk but am unable to locate it. I have the actavation code on the side od the desktop and just need a copy to load it.

Collapse -
Re: XP CD.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2012 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: windows xp home

Maybe a friend, relation, family member still has a CD? Or eBay or Craigslist.

Note, however, that that license code is an OEM license code. There's no guarantee at all that some other version of XP Home (say, from another OEM or a retail version) will accept it. So my advice is to only pay for it if it works.

If you don't have the recovery disk any more, are you sure you have all the right drivers for XP? If you don't, you might have a crippled machine until you find them. Maybe better to order a new recovery disk if they still are being sold.

Kees

Collapse -
windows XP
by kd5exp / March 12, 2012 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP CD.

Thanks Kees, I have contacxted a friend that said he would burn me a copy and he said he assures me it will work. going to have to update operating system one of these days. I have seen where windows 8 is coming out soon.maybe then. Gene

Collapse -
(NT) Let's hope he's right.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 12, 2012 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: windows XP
Collapse -
windows xp home
by kd5exp / March 12, 2012 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's hope he's right.

He works for a computer repair plave here in town that come out and straighten things out for you so I beleive he most likely right. Kepp my fingers crossed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.