Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

where to forward spam/phishing emails?

by SherA / May 9, 2006 10:57 AM PDT

Hi, I've recently started getting emails that say they are from Paypal, and that my account has been flagged. I knew right away they weren't legitimate because I use a different email address for Paypal. I get about 1 per week, and they are all exactly the same, except this last time it had a different subject line. I've been forwarding them to, but I'm wondering if there is somewhere else I should be forwarding them to get them to stop. Thanks for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where to forward spam/phishing emails?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where to forward spam/phishing emails?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For what it's too.
by VAPCMD / May 9, 2006 12:38 PM PDT

Always forward them to URL you referenced along with my ISP.

I also forward copies to a couple of other FEDERAL SITES in hopes they may follow up too. The more they know...the better chance of pursuing the perps.

Collapse -
where do you forward them?
by SherA / May 9, 2006 2:18 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. Do you have the addresses of the Federal sites so I can forward mine there, too?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / May 9, 2006 3:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks from an eavesdropper
by jayfin / May 10, 2006 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

I will make use of this site. Also I have received these same messages but know that they are phishing schemes.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome
by tomron / May 10, 2006 12:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
YOU'RE welcome...
by dkniskern / May 11, 2006 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Your welcome

from a teacher (sorry, I can't help it!)

Collapse -
by cnetmmf / May 16, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

Why bother? It's almost impossible to trace the source of this junk, and the great majority is coming from foreign countries. If you are using a spam filter, and it allows you to easily add new spammers, then do that, but anything else is a huge waste of time!

Collapse -
Try this
by ksmaid / December 1, 2009 10:31 PM PST

tomron's message of 5/9/06 is no longer applicable.
To forward unwanted or deceptive spam to the Federal Trade Commission; send it to, and be sure to include the full email header.

Collapse -
Depending on the type of scam, I use these addresses
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2006 1:28 PM PDT,,,

plus I send copies to my ISP.

I'm sure there are others for places like PayPal, eBay, etc.,

Collapse -
Why forward to ISP?
by SherA / May 11, 2006 7:31 AM PDT

Do you mean for spam that I get in the email account that is associated with my ISP? Or do you foward spam from all email accounts to your ISP? I've been getting these phishing emails in my Hotmail, and MSN is not my ISP. I don't get any spam in my ISP email account.

Also, I forwarded this last one to Is that the same place as the second one in your list?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, and thanks so much for helping.

Collapse -
Send "physhy" to your e-mail service provider
by batavier / May 12, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Why forward to ISP?

The usual address is: abuse@[your e-mail service or .net] Their job is to track the e-mail thread trail, and notify the originator's service provider, who will usually cancel the offender's service - especially in the US. No guarantee what happens if the e-mail is from Russia.

Collapse -
Forwarding phishing emails
by Yeoville / May 11, 2006 11:12 PM PDT

You can report phishing attempts to
(1) anti-phishing working group
(2) Castlecops ? forward email to pirt (AT) castlecops (DOT) com
(3) sometimes the organisation that is being spoofed wants to know (e.g., banks)

Collapse -
Phishing replies
by leelaw33 / May 12, 2006 7:24 AM PDT

I receive emails from "supposedly" EBay and Pay Pal. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCE open or click on ANY links. The best thing to do is hit Forward and send the entire message to either or You will receive a reply from both of them telling whether it is legitimate or not.

Collapse -
How do you forward without opening first?
by SherA / May 12, 2006 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Phishing replies

I've never been able to find a way to forward them without opening them first (using Hotmail). So, I've been opening them to forward to Paypal (and now these other places), but I never click on any links. Paypal sends a reply right away, telling me that the email is a scam. I'd rather not open them first, if it's possible, because I know that anything I get in Hotmail that says it's from Paypal is a scam.

So, I guess I should contact Hotmail about them now, too. Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -
This way
by tomron / May 12, 2006 1:09 PM PDT

right click on it>foward as attachment

Collapse -
Thank you, but...
by SherA / May 12, 2006 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: This way

"forward as attachment" is not an option when I right click. Is it because I'm using Firefox, or is it Hotmail?

Collapse -
forward as attachment
by tomron / May 12, 2006 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you, but...

I use FF & OE

Click HERE

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great link - Thank you!
by SherA / May 14, 2006 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: forward as attachment
Collapse -
Is it an AOL email address?
by Heid240 / May 12, 2006 4:01 PM PDT

AOL has their own department to report this too if its an AOL id. Forward the entire email to TOSEMAIL1
Also, always click the report spam button on it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Forward to
by rmcarl / May 14, 2006 12:53 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.