Camcorders forum

Question

Where to buy 8mm cassette player?

by tedmarx38 / July 7, 2012 5:26 AM PDT

Hi, newbie here. I have a Nikon Action-8 VN-320 that uses 8mm cassettes. I haven't used this for awhile and now want to convert the recorded cassettes to dvd format. However, the camera's playback now doesn't work. I'm trying to locate something that will play these tapes and provide output such that I can place the content onto DVDs or my pc's harddrive. No luck online so any guidance will be much appreciated. To ensure we're talking about the same thing, please note that these cassettes are about 4" by 2" and less than 0.5" thick. THanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where to buy 8mm cassette player?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where to buy 8mm cassette player?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you find one?
by Toveeo / March 6, 2013 12:22 AM PST

I need one as well, I am just starting to look.

Collapse -
Link. Still available.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Did you find one?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why pay so much?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 5:31 AM PDT

Those cassette players cost more than a camcorder so why would you pay more for this? What feature is driving you to pay a premium?

Collapse -
Not looking to spend more
by tedmarx38 / July 7, 2012 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Why pay so much?

Thanks, no intention of spending more than needed. The camcorder I own no longer will play the tapes. I suspect you're suggesting that I simply buy a camcorder that plays this type of cassette, right? Any suggestions on where to find such a thing will be much appreciated -- very outdated technology I would think. Thanks again.

Collapse -
OK, I see it now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2012 5:38 AM PDT

Once in awhile folk think a player would cost less than a camcorder. It's actually 4 or more times more money from the prices I see.

As to a 8mm camcorder I'd look on Amazon and eBay.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.