TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Where is the best place to buy optical cables?

by Operator7 / May 25, 2007 6:14 AM PDT

Ok, I know that I don't need the name brand bs, but I just came back from the local Circuit City, and the only ones they had there were of the 40 dollar variety.

Is there a local store, where I can find these for the cheap prices?

Would I be better off buying over the internet, and if so, where/how would I find a good place? Should I just go to Yahoo Shopping, and type optical cable?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where is the best place to buy optical cables?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where is the best place to buy optical cables?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try newegg.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 6:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Does this look good?
by Operator7 / May 25, 2007 6:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
um
by masterying01 / May 25, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

best buy? 3ft acoustic research for $20? look for an open item so you can get even more of a discount?

Collapse -
thanks for the suggestions...
by Operator7 / May 25, 2007 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: um

Ok, I looked on Best Buy's website, and at least they have something around $20 (trusting that the store will have the same item/price)....

but check THIS out

$2.47 ????

Is that a good deal, or am I missing something?

Message was edited by: admin

Collapse -
yep I missed something...
by Operator7 / May 25, 2007 6:54 AM PDT

sorry, upon closer look, this isn't optical cable.

Collapse -
if you have
by jostenmeat / May 25, 2007 6:58 AM PDT

digital coaxial connections, you can take an rca plug (that you probably have lying around). Will be just as good.

optical has to go thru more encoding/decoding/encoding/decoding. Otoh, people say that it is more immune to interference, particularly for long runs. Most of us consumers use very short runs. fwiw

Collapse -
not sure I understood your point...
by Operator7 / May 25, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: if you have
Collapse -
huh??
by jostenmeat / May 25, 2007 7:25 AM PDT

The following cables ALL LOOK IDENTICAL:

digital coaxial
rca stereo
subwoofer lfe
component
composite
multi-ch interconnects
what else am I missing

The only thing to consider is that video cables are 75ohm rated, and can possibly reduce some of your bass repsonse as audio multi channel interconnects. Still works fine, I know, I've tried.

Your confusion is confusing me.

Collapse -
monoprice.com
by grc24 / May 25, 2007 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: huh??

I bought ALL of my cables through these guys. HDMI, Optical, Component, etc. etc. They have amazing prices and a very quick turn around. If you do have a long run for your digital optical(More than 6' or 7'???) Maybe you should consider digital co-ax. Digital OPTICAL is Fiber optic and will be affected by too many kinks or bends or even the longer runs. Anyway, Monoprice.com has great prices for good quality cables.

grc

Collapse -
Sam's Club.............
by jimca3 / May 25, 2007 8:28 AM PDT

I?ve found Sam?s Club has a decent selection (HDMI, DVI, HDMI/DVI & Digital Optical Digital Audio) for the best prices.

They used to carry Phillips but the last time I looked they had Belden (big in data com, not sure about A/V). A 6ft Optical was $9.25, HDMI was about $24.

Collapse -
optical cables
by crackers678 / May 25, 2007 12:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks for all of the feedback
by Operator7 / May 26, 2007 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: optical cables

I ended up finding some cable at Radio Shack yesterday for 20 bucks... I was in a hurry, so just rolled with that.

So far, I notice no huge difference, from the rca cables....

in fact, dare I say that I like the sound through the rca cables better??

Collapse -
operator, questions
by jostenmeat / May 27, 2007 4:51 AM PDT

1. for tv, movies, or music, or all of the above?
2. What are your components, namely player and receiver?
3. Depending on question 1, did you select proper settings in your set-top, receiver, player?

If #1 was for music, its very possibly that your player has the better DAC and accompanying electronics that your receiver. Tv viewing has very, very little surround material, in my experience. So far, in fact, I am convinced there is zero lfe output, whether HBO, sports, whatever. False advertising? Dunno. glad you're all hooked up.

Collapse -
jostenmeat
by Operator7 / May 30, 2007 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: operator, questions

1) using for all of the above - music, tv, dvds

2) I have a Kenwood 5.1 Surround (not sure of the model, but it's a good one), a PS3, and Directv receiver (old model)

3) I'm not sure what settings I might change, with my surround processor... I unplugged the rca cables, to make sure the sound was coming via the optical cables, and went through the various surround modes to test the sound.

Now perhaps there IS a significant difference that I am just not noticing at first, and I did NOT have a chance to compare the two side by side yet.

Maybe tonight, I will plug in both the RCA and the optical, and switch back and forth to try to determine further the actual difference.

I am a producer though, so I have "trained ears", and so far, I like the RCA cables better.

Am I correct in assuming that the sound through the optical cables is digital format only, and the sound through the rca is analogue?

Many folk prefer analogue sound to digital, and maybe that is why I am preferring this?

Collapse -
question 1
by jostenmeat / May 31, 2007 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: jostenmeat

was not about which you listen to; I was asking on which of these that the rca cables sounded better? as in .... music only? I have a hard time believing movies sound better, since you would not get true surround sound, outside of multi-channle interconnects.

Everything is analog once it reaches your ears. If you are talking about dvd's and cd's, they are encoded digitally, but are converted to analog somewhere along the line. Either by your player, your receiver, or even perhaps an outboard DAC (digital to audio converter). Thats why I was curious as to your player. How old is that Kenwood? cheers

Collapse -
oops
by jostenmeat / May 31, 2007 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: question 1

I meant digital to analog converter (not audio!)

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 27, 2007 4:04 AM PDT

amazon.com is usually good for a steal or two. Local stores do have cheaper cables than $40, you just have to buy their store-brand.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.