PC Hardware

Question

Where is the best place to buy a replacement motherboard?

by shilea_1 / October 8, 2012 2:27 AM PDT

We have a HPE-150t desktop computer. We need to replace the motherboard. I guess it would be easiest to just replace with the same one. So, where would I buy an MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) motherboard that would have a warranty with it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where is the best place to buy a replacement motherboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where is the best place to buy a replacement motherboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly there is more than popping in a MS-7613.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 2:36 AM PDT

Those HP's and many others require the board to have the makers "TATTOO" and no shop I know does this.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4136980

With that said, even if you got the motherboard for free your installed OS will not boot. It will notice it's not a HP board and then fail. Why this is often the end of that PC is that once you factor in the cost of a new OS and how most folk are not willing to learn how to install Windows (you can tell it when they ask how?) I fear the best deal is to let HP give you a quote and then decide.
Bob

Collapse -
So if I put a new one in it won't work...
by shilea_1 / October 8, 2012 2:45 AM PDT

Even buying the exact same one won't fix my computer... I know ebay has them.

Buying a new PC from HP is absolutely out of the question. We paid almost $1200 for this computer and we haven't even had it for 3 years. I won't be a repeat customer for a product that isn't even close to worth the money.

Maybe you can give me some insight, my computer won't boot, tests tell me error code BIOHD 8... HP told me this was a hard drive crash, after researching everyone else says it's the motherboard not the hard drive and it's quite common in these HP computers. I can't afford a new computer right now and at the same time we can't afford to not have a computer.

Any tips on the cheapest fix that will actually fix it!

Here's the info on my PC
Product: AZ220AV-ABA
Model: HPE-150t
Serial: MXV0050409
Software Build: AINAv6PcA2

Collapse -
Let's be clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

Motherboard of the same exact one WITH THE HP TATTOO = Works.
Motherboard of the same exact one but just MSI-7613 = Works but Windows will fail if you are using the one from HP.

-> Your new information tells me the machine does boot up (just not to Windows?) If so, that's rarely a motherboard failure but can be the usual other issues.

Did you try a free LiveCD? Here's two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren%27s_BootCD will let you use a Mini - XP for those that need to get their files out.

If the machine has SATA drives I don't use Hirens but this one:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Bob

Collapse -
I'm so sorry!
by shilea_1 / October 8, 2012 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's be clear.

I have to apologize again for my lack of knowledge. You are correct in that it's booting it just won't load Windows. I ran the system diagnostics test and here is what it told me

Error Code BIOHD-8 A smart test failed on the drive.
It also had these numbers but I'm clueless as to what they mean...
WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B2
(WD-WCASY9612727)

Everything else it tested passed.

I assumed that the hard drive crashed and it needed to be replaced as that is what HP support told me. But after searching on the internet every thing I seen that had the same error code said it's not the hard drive but the motherboard and that this is very common in these HP models. I also don't know if it matters, but the computer has Windows 7.

The last few months the computer was freezing up quite a bit and when it went to sleep mode it wouldn't wake up. We'd have to restart every time. It would always shut down if I attempted to play any game that required a bit of memory and graphics. (we actually thought it was the video card going out) This last week it started freezing up and these weird squiggly lines would appear. Kinda like a digital channel not getting the entire signal. The third time was the charm... lol as in the third time broke it completely.

How would I run the free LiveCD you posted if I can't get the computer to boot up windows, it won't boot in safe mode either. And if it's not the motherboard what are the usual other issues.

Would our best bet be to just take this to a place that does fix computers?? I don't want to waste my money on something I think it is if it's not ie the motherboard.

Thanks so much for all your info and guidance. I really appreciate it!!!

Collapse -
Error Code BIOHD-8 A smart test failed on the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm so sorry!

I agree this is a failed HDD. That is CHEAP compared to what trouble you will get into with another motherboard.

The freezing and more can also be a sign the HDD was going out.

-> About the Free LiveCD. These do not require the PC to have any HDD at all since they boot and run from the CD.

The best cheap bet is to order a new HDD from Amazon or Newegg, put that in and use the restore DVDs you made long ago.
Bob

Collapse -
HDD
by shilea_1 / October 8, 2012 3:49 AM PDT

So an HDD is a hard drive correct??

Put in those restore DVD's... how dumb am I, I don't have any restore DVD's. Computers 101... ALWAYS make backups, epic fail by me!!!

Collapse -
Yes, it's the hard drive. More.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: HDD

The CHEAP fix is to get a HDD from amazon or newegg. It's usually not a hard task to replace it.

Then about 35 bucks for the restore DVDs from hp. Try the link I supplied and somewhere is the order page from the restore media.

Total fix should run under 100 bucks if you do it yourself.

Bob

Collapse -
Under $100
by shilea_1 / October 8, 2012 4:08 AM PDT

Now that is something I can afford! Way cheaper than the $388 price at HP for a hard drive. Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try Happy

Collapse -
Link follows about a common HDD replacement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Under $100
Collapse -
Answer
Best place?
by bob b / October 8, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

HP...... and hope that you can buy something with the HP tattoo on it.

Otherwise.......MS might get upset with that activation stuff.

If MS does get upset you might be looking at buying a new OS.

Collapse -
WOW!
by shilea_1 / October 8, 2012 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Best place?

So, I can't just by another motherboard without having to replace Windows??? Is that what you're saying? I apologize, I kinda get lost with all the techno stuff on computers... What a crock Sad I don't even have discs to load any programs on the computer as when I bought the HP it had everything pre-loaded on it and it came with zero discs. All I know is if I have to buy a new computer it will NOT be from HP. I had better luck with cheap Dells, at least they lasted me 5+ years.

Collapse -
Yup
by bob b / October 8, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: WOW!

If you change that mobo and it's not "super" close to the original mobo then there is a good chance MS will get upset.

If that happens your dead.........it's new OS time.......$$$$$$

As for the SMART failure......I'd play the odds......go with what Robert said.....Hd and restore media.

Your call.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.