Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Where is Local Setting located on WIN XP?

by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 9:09 AM PDT

I found that I have 5 trojans on my computer, and I have to manual delete it according to Housecall. However it says its located in :\\documents and settings\my profile name\local settings\temp\msgked.exc ; it also says "_update,dat".

Someone please tell me where I can located local settings so i can manual delete these viruses. maybe then i can check my yahoo mail. thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where is Local Setting located on WIN XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where is Local Setting located on WIN XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Where is Local Setting located on WIN XP?
by radean / June 20, 2004 10:20 AM PDT

Need to click on My Computer, Tools, Options, View, and select "Show hidden files and folders". Should see it then.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by rx4joy / September 8, 2011 5:58 AM PDT

Yes, I'm still using the ancient XP. Why upgrade if it ain't broke?
Anyway, I'd done a ton of work on an Excel spreadsheet someone had emailed to me. I KNEW I'd saved the file, but all the searches couldn't locate it.
I finally decided to redo the hours of work (UGH!)
I went back to the email, opened the file, went to save it, and BOOM! There was the file in OLK82 (or something like that). I knew it was in the temporaries. Spent another 20 minutes trying to drill down.
Finally, decided to let Google save me again. Yep, found your answer and was into the file in less than a minute.
Blessings to you for sharing your knowledge!

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 20, 2004 10:25 AM PDT

Browse to the C:\documents and settings\YOUR profile name\local settings\temp folder and delete all files and folders in it.
Then browse to the C:\Windows\Temp folder and delete all files in it.
Then in internet explore click tools>internet Options>General. Click on Delete Files make sure you get all offline content as well.

You also have to remove _update.dat !! Have also a look at response 6 HERE

HTH

Collapse -
by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 10:57 AM PDT

i'm just wondering, i did a housecall scan, and ssandbox, stilen, revop, briss, agent, debeski, small, etc.. they seem like trojans. and are located in system volume infomation, and I have no clue as to how to get rid of them, or where its locationed. where do i go to switch to DOS mode, and then back to windows mode?

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / June 20, 2004 11:14 AM PDT

Hi:)

they seem like trojans. and are located in system volume infomation, and I have no clue as to how to get rid of them, or where its locationed.

You ONLY have to disable system restore - here is HOW to do it:

hen Disable system restore: Instructions here

scan again - you will see now you are clean.

ENABLE system restore again and make a NEW restore point !

Collapse -
by Ley6451 / June 20, 2004 11:32 AM PDT

i'm computer illiterate, but i did the disable system restore, then scanned it with housecall, then enabled the restore, but how do you make a NEW RESTORE POINT? sorry tons and tons of questions. been sitting the computer for most of the day. Happy

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / June 20, 2004 12:23 PM PDT

To create restore points:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2. In the System Restore dialog box, click Create a restore point, and then click Next.

3. Type a description for your restore point, such as "Before Office XP", then click Create.

If your system fails, press F8 in the boot menu, and then click Last known good configuration. Windows XP restores your system to the most recent restore point.

Note: It is OK not to create a restore point manually, Windows will automatically create for you IF you will enable System Restore again. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.