The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Where do you watch or download most of your online videos?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 29, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

-- Cable or network TV sites (Which one?)
-- News Web sites (Which one?)
-- AOL Video (What's special about it?)
-- Dailymotion (What's special about it?)
-- Google Video (What's special about it?)
-- iTunes (What's special about it?)
-- MSN Video (What's special about it?)
-- Yahoo (What's special about it?)
-- YouTube (What's special about it?)
-- Other (Where?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where do you watch or download most of your online videos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where do you watch or download most of your online videos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Rex031 / August 29, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

Watch on Free movies.
Download Free Downloads

Collapse -
video sites
by hogan / August 29, 2007 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Movies
Collapse -
Where I d/l online vids
by jean harrington / August 29, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

b/c youtube vids come in.
That's it.

I have had with other vids that won't play.

Collapse -
by btljooz / August 29, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

I do NOT do online Videos! I BUY DVDs!

Collapse -
oooops! that's *NONE*
by btljooz / August 29, 2007 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: NON OF THE ABOVE!

Collapse -
by jean harrington / August 29, 2007 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: oooops! that's *NONE*

You have that much time?
I'm retired, spend all my time on the computer or taking pix.
I eat all meals in front of the computer.
What am I missing?
I looked up The Greatest Films of...
I forget how many years.
I had seen most of them in the movie theatre,
before 1985.

Collapse -
I'm wit chew
by swamprat / August 30, 2007 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: oooops! that's *NONE*

I buy DVDs and don't use high speed connections. Don't spend one cent more than necessary. Dollar Dvds at wallmart watch just as good as anything else and I get to keep it.

Collapse -
CNET TV of course!
by thatguy6502 / August 29, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

I have no idea why the crap he didn't include it in the poll, CNET TV definitely (right ahead YouTube, with Joost following).

Collapse -
Where do I watch my online videos?
by ddarais / August 29, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

I don't watch online videos.

I'm on dial-up because there's no high speed available where I am!! Ugly!

Collapse -
RE: Where do you watch or download most of your online video
by jpprice47 / August 29, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

I watch videos from CNN or MSNBC. Faux Noise only has RNC approved video.

Anything else, I watch on satellite TV or DVD. ;->

Collapse -
I like to search for you tube videos using the ViewBoxPlayer
by mushkabella / August 29, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

Typically, I don't like to sit in front of my computer and just watch something. I could watch it in my living room, right. So, I like using ViewBoxPlayer because you can watch YouTube vidoes, your own DVDs, etc. all while you are using other programs. So, I can be chatting on myspace, playing around in Photoshop, or browsing websites and reading news/blogs - all while I'm watching the vidoes in the corner of my computer screen. Personally, I'm a big fan of watching a comedy routine while I'm on my computer working. It's not too distracting but I'm completely entertained. They also had a version available for a while that had music videos on it. You could set up a playlist and then watch all of your favorite vidoes. There were thousands to chose from. I'm not sure why they don't have that version any more...anyway, it's cool. check it out. it's in beta, but i love it...

Collapse -
You Tube, of course
by jmarkross / August 29, 2007 11:26 AM PDT

The diversity on YouTube is so immense, some hilarious, some tragic, a sort of gigantic repository of visual history. It can be very educational, freedom of speech reigns there, it is the ultimate entertainer. How many of you hit YouTube when you are bored and all SciFi has on is those generic "Star Trek" spin-offs with all sorts of "putty-heads" with ridges and bumps on their head to signify different races. And, one thing I really like...if you just want to search a very specific subject--it's easy to do. Or--just let the path lead you all over the a random encyclopedia all jumbled up with thin connections. It is the ultimate "eye candy".

Collapse -
by knelson276 / August 29, 2007 1:53 PM PDT

WWITV: World Wide Internet TeleVision. I use for watching mostly euro music videos mostly but is a great portal for world wide video streaming.

Collapse -
by abdelrahimsagr / August 29, 2007 3:45 PM PDT

FRANKLY SPEAKING Ido watch my online videos on (YOU TUBE) DOWNLOADING USING (youtUBE)down-loading Program
i find on it all the features i want', above all it is very rich &free

Collapse -
YouTube, but it's not my fault <g>
by marikavs / August 29, 2007 5:06 PM PDT

People keep sending me links to YouTube, and there are the links in newsletters as well, and demos and instructions from various and sundry. I don't mind one bit! Google really did a Good Thing when they acquired it.

Collapse -
YouTube is fast and Used to be commercial free!
by jfischer316 / August 29, 2007 9:00 PM PDT

YouTube is fast and Used to be commercial free! Now that they are adding commercials, it might not be so good. YouTube has the right mix between speed and video quality. And the variety of subjects available is huge.

So far, the high resolution Web sites, such as Joost, etc., don't have very much content. The Bitturrent sites have content and quality, but the full length videos take a very long time to load. And most of them appear to be violating copyright.

The video from Main Stream Media Web sites almost always have commercials first. This is a big negative. Especially if I have to sit through the same commercial 5 times, if I want to watch 5 video clips.

The reason why I hardly ever watch live TV is because of all the commercials. Right now, I have Dish Network Satellite and I record programs on their DVR (Digital Video Recorder). That way, I can skip past the commercials.

Collapse -
by MrMe003 / August 29, 2007 10:55 PM PDT

well.. i watching some clips from youtube and i upload my own videos there too so Youtube is my answer Happy

i also try that MSN Video and that UI is better than youtube has but because i started using youtube for my own videos i dont want to change that if i dont get something like unlimited video lenghts....

Collapse -
None of the above
by clamoreaux / August 29, 2007 11:08 PM PDT

So, who has time to watch videos??

Collapse -
Watch or Download online videos
by RFGauthier / August 29, 2007 11:11 PM PDT

I found In2TV (by AOL) for free download/or viewing of high-quality videos of old television shows.

Collapse -
favorite site
by yruluis / August 30, 2007 12:18 AM PDT

i like to use veoh. even though you have to download their software, its good because it keeps your videos in one place and also allows you to download videos off other sites like youtube. im surprised nobody has mentioned it

Collapse -
forgot to mention
by yruluis / August 30, 2007 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: favorite site

they do occasionally delete videos now just like youtube but you will find interesting things on veoh. anime, music videos, and such

Collapse -
by vmbanks / August 30, 2007 1:17 AM PDT

It has an amazing variety of material.

Collapse -
"where do you watch ... video" has two ends
by wts / August 30, 2007 2:24 AM PDT

I'm finding video to be both enjoyable and most unfriendly.

My sources of video tend to be (1) CNET, (2) YouTube, (3) webcasts from various sources (professional, work-related), and (4) TV Tuner.

I watch videos on a computer at work or home while online, but recently ....

I am increasingly trying to download and watch videos off line, either on my laptop or portable media player (Cowon D2).

Most sources of video make it difficult or impossible to watch them off line. I recently found a Flash Catcher at that helps considerably, but otherwise viewing video off line has been time-consuming, frustrating and most often without success.

I was recently surprised that I could not write a DVD using Windows Media Player because it insisted I didn't have rights to make a DVD from my recording of Tora Tora Tora from the AMC channel.

In general, I have many fewer problems stashing and playing audio on my Cowan D2.

... guess it's back to re-listening to Harry Potter 7, for me ...

cheers, wayne

Collapse -
Watch & Download
by fgambardel17 / August 30, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

Watch @ (southpark, family guy, And simpsons videos), and

Dont download

Collapse -
Veoh and DivX Stage6
by cgramer / August 31, 2007 2:42 PM PDT

I watch/download most of my videos on and, though I do also watch quite a few on YouTube.

Collapse -
Depends on the content & viewing device
by punterjoe / September 9, 2007 12:44 PM PDT

YouTube for streaming on PC - or Wii
Google, iTunes (iPod video podcasts) for MP4 video for PSP
DIVX.COM & content producer's own sites for Divx content to watch on my set top DVD player.
Joost for desktop streaming

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.