Mac OS forum

General discussion

Where do downloads go?

by dejola / May 13, 2008 12:21 AM PDT

I am not a Mac user but have to help an elderly friend who is. He wants me to download the drivers for his new HP C7280 All-in-one and install the machine for him. I have determined exactly what drivers I have to download from the HP site. But what I need to know is where the download will end up. That is, where do I find in on his Macbook when the download is complete. HP says to simply click on the .exe file to install the downloaded drivers. But I need to know where to find that .exe file. In Windows my downloads go to my desktop, but I don't know where they go using OS X 10.4, which is what I believe my friend is running.

Thank you.

John

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where do downloads go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where do downloads go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Downloads go to,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Where do downloads go?

wherever the preference is set to in Safari or whatever web browser your friend is using.
By default, this is usually the desktop but you would be advised to check in the Preferences of the browser.

Please do NOT download any .exe file to that Mac, it will not work.

The file you need to download has .dmg as the file extension and is VERY large.

Make sure that you know what version of OS X your friend is using, not all driver versions work with all versions of OS X.

P

Collapse -
Thanks P
by dejola / May 13, 2008 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Downloads go to,

Thanks so much for that information. I was in error when I said HP said to click on the .exe file. What they actually said was to click on the installer. I successfully downloaded the installer to the desktop and am now in the process of installing the drivers. I see it says 8 items remaining, so I'm almost there.

Can't thank you enough for your timely help.

John

Collapse -
You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 13, 2008 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks P

glad I could help

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.