Computer Help forum

Question

Where did my saved file go? MS Office Word '07

by gmu77 / January 9, 2013 3:44 AM PST

I opened a Word document that was sent to me as an attachment to an email. I made edits to the document and repeatedly hit the save icon. Unfortunately, I did NOT do a 'Save As' to My Documents. I closed out of Word and now cannot access the saved file. Where is it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where did my saved file go? MS Office Word '07
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where did my saved file go? MS Office Word '07
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's still attached to the email you got
by wpgwpg / January 9, 2013 3:56 AM PST

Open up the email that the doc was attached to and reopen the document. It will have your updates, and you can do a Save as from there.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks, but tried that already without success
by gmu77 / January 9, 2013 4:00 AM PST

Thank you for the assistance. Unfortunately, I tried that already without success. The original email attachment only reverts to the version without my edits.

Collapse -
That one with the edits is in some temp folder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 4:23 AM PST

Windows Search does not usually find it. Remember your command line skills and look for it with DIR
Bob

Collapse -
Bring up Word and look
by wpgwpg / January 9, 2013 4:39 AM PST

Click the round orb in the upper left corner of the Word window and you should see the last 15 documents that it's processed. You should see it there.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Do you use GMAIL?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 4:22 AM PST

Head to gmail.com and get your document off the email there. It won't have the edits.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.