Linux forum

General discussion

Where Can I Download Linux?

by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 5:53 AM PDT

I recently got an old computer withount an OS and am looking for a free one. I know that linux is one, but I can't find a download site for it Sad . If anybody can help, please do.

Thanx,

TrikyTrevor

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where Can I Download Linux?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where Can I Download Linux?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Where Can I Download Linux?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2004 6:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Re: Where Can I Download Linux?
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 6:47 AM PDT

OK. Thanks, i'll try that.

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 6:50 AM PDT

also, why do you keep signing stuff "Bob", seeing as your name is "Robert"

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2004 6:58 AM PDT

Why sign off as Bob? Simple, same answer as why most cartoon characters have 4 fingers. Or I'm called Bob?

Bob

Collapse -
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 7:00 AM PDT

huh. just wondering.

trikytrevor

Collapse -
Re: Re: Where Can I Download Linux?
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 6:59 AM PDT

uh... so many... getting dizzy... which one do you suggest?

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
Start easy. KNOPPIX.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2004 7:17 AM PDT

It's what I call a zero install. Boots from CD and works. Lets you look around.

From there, most move to Suse, Mandrake, Fedora, and so on.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Start easy. KNOPPIX.
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Start easy. KNOPPIX.

OK Thanks.
one problem... its so old it only has a floppy drive. will it fit on a floppy?

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
Go get a CDROM drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2004 7:36 AM PDT

It's about 10 bucks on sale, CDRW will run 10 to 20 bucks.

FTP or WEB install may be one method if you refuse to have a proper machine, so here's how. No, I can't tell you if it will work for you.

Read http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/25205.html

Looks to me that your machine isn't ready for linux.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Go get a CDROM drive.
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Go get a CDROM drive.

*SIGH*

I have seven, but I opened up the case and the cable had two plug thingies on it. one was really weird and only fit into the motherboard, the only other was for the HD. and no, there wasn't another socket on the motherboard for another cable.

So I have 2 options:
1. a CD drive and no Hard drive
or
2. a Hard drive and no CD drive.

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
Knoppix it then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2004 7:58 AM PDT

At least Knoppix could run. Until you learn about IDE cables. You are now about 1 buck from a proper machine. What will you do?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: knoppix...
by TrikyTrevor / July 12, 2004 8:14 AM PDT

i know about IDE cables. i told you. =l The socket on the motherboard isn't the normal IBM IDE type. it has three rows of pins, for starters. the only other connector on the cable, for the hard drive, is a normal IBM IDE type.

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
IDE cables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2004 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: knoppix...

Some machines came with an IDE cable for just one drive. For about 1 dollar I can get a computer store to give me a cable with all three connections.

Sorry, but something is amiss. Wish I could toss you the right cable.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: IDE cables.
by TrikyTrevor / July 13, 2004 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: IDE cables.

I have lots of spare cables, but none have the weird connector on them. i think i will just divide the file up and put it on multiple floppies and move it to the HD.

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
Look at this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2004 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: IDE cables.

You've neglected the forum tip and the result is evident.

"Tip:
If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

No where have you detailed what that machine is.

I would like to help you more, but you have to work at this too.

Bob

Collapse -
Antique; - old Sun computers and custom cables.
by James Denison / July 12, 2004 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: knoppix...
Collapse -
Re: Antique; - More Info; DD50SA
by James Denison / July 12, 2004 1:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
by TrikyTrevor / July 13, 2004 2:05 AM PDT

1 minute while I go open it up....

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
by TrikyTrevor / July 13, 2004 2:18 AM PDT

It is an ancient HP macheine. its really full of dust.

is it possible to install windows on a mac macheine?

got to go i just got a norton antivirus virus alert (39th today. i must be really infected.).

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
Re: Antique; - old Sun computers and custom cables.
by TrikyTrevor / July 13, 2004 2:20 AM PDT

Thanks, but that isn't it. no frustration today.

aren't Mac cables 50 pin? i have about 20 of those.

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
by Anthony J Moulen / July 13, 2004 4:13 AM PDT

While it seems everyone wants this to be easy, it is possible to get a custome mother board with a non-standard header. PC standardization happened around the Pentium timeframe, so you could find all sorts of alien boards back on 486 systems. Your controller may not even be able to control a slave device at all or have the cable capabilities of indicating a slave device off the same cable run. The prices of buying the extra parts these days will be far outweighed by the fact that the system isn't worth the money you would have to put into it.

If you want a good basic Linux to run on this and it has a network card, try Slackware, it was the original floppy based distribution (well this isn't really true, SLS came before it and there were other base level floppy distros but Slack survived the times) and it still has a floppy option for installing the basic tools.

There are also tiny distros that can be used to bootstrap another distro but it still needs networking for this to work. One of the issues you are likely to find though is poor or non-existent support for you network device and hard to configure support at that. I have limited myself to Pentium based systems with PCI cards only. ISA was torture and when I finally could afford to no longer have ISA systems around I was a very happy camper.

Collapse -
by errolla7 / July 14, 2004 4:03 AM PDT

I was reading this forum. I couldnt help but want to ask what bob did. What kind of processor do you have? Is it even possible to hook up a 15 pin, 3rows color monitor already? By this I mean, Right now without adding an adapter board. If not, I think I think you could invest 10 dollars somewhere and get a pentium one already equipped with these things. Because if it is not equipped with these things already. It is probably a 486 or lower and not worth the time.

Collapse -
by mp3artists / July 17, 2004 10:16 AM PDT

I've read your whole thread and just by chance I was just reading up on Linux today as I am a newbie to it as well.
They say Red Hat Fedora is the best distribution for beginners. here's what they recommend for the box:

* 450 MHz Pentium III
* 2 GB hard drive space
* 256 MB RAM

here's the main page (click)

hope you get a hold of a decent CDRW and/or HD. and get it up and running.....
I'm right behind you ! Wink

peace
Chris

http://www.chrisgardner.com

Collapse -
by chuckieu / July 18, 2004 5:14 AM PDT

Not sure who they are, but I disagree. I have had Red Hat 9 for over a year, Fedora Core 1(Red Hat 10) for about 6 months. Bought both retail. They were both okay. Kept running into problems with programs, and especially hardware, needing something else to work. Find that , and it needed something else. Never ending. I'm talking about this as someone who was( and is ) trying to learn Linux, not as someone who has been using Unix for years. Anyway, I tried Mandrake 10 on a download(you'll need Broadband) and have been impressed. Later versions of programs and hardware supported. I would highly recommend this distro to a newbie. You are still have to do your homework, but with less hassles. For what it's worth.
chuck

Collapse -
System Specs
by TrikyTrevor / July 21, 2004 2:22 AM PDT

now that i've shoveled the dust out of it,

HP 486:

16 mb ram

2 gig HD

Intel 486 DX processor

OK?!?

TrikyTrevor

Collapse -
That's very slim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2004 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: System Specs

You will be looking at distros that are very small. 16Meg is the death call for it running any modern distro.

Maybe you should just get a LOAF? (Linux on a floppy) and use that?

You don't want to know I tossed an i200mmx with 64M and some CDROM, HD in the trash bin last week. You can't give them away here. Have you considered looking for another machine?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's very slim.
by mp3artists / July 21, 2004 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: That's very slim.

you threw 64 meg of working ram out, and a CD Rom and HD. Must be nice. :D.

That is a probably the best immediate solution for you.
How many floppys would it take for Mandrake ?

Collapse -
by chuckieu / July 22, 2004 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: That's very slim.

Mandrake 10 would take 1500 floppies. As Robert(Bob) said, the computer you are using is 256mb short of memory
to successfully run any modern Operating System from either Windows or Linux. That is "successfully", not bare minimum. Sorry. Try using an OS you boot from disc instead of installing. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
by mp3artists / July 22, 2004 7:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
by TrikyTrevor / July 25, 2004 12:12 AM PDT

My old computer doesn't have a CD drive, and no space for one either.

TrikyTrevor

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.