E-readers forum

General discussion

Where can I buy ePub books outside the US/UK????

by isyau / September 18, 2010 5:36 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

During a flight from Heathrow, I bought a PRS-300 from the store run by Sony itself. It is really a nice gadget, but my problem is that I am limited to free books since I live outside the US/UK and neither Sony (US) nor Waterstones (UK) will sell to me. WHSmith (UK) did so for a while, but I just received an email that that they will stop doing so.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can buy recent ePub books (in English)?

Someone should tell Sony that lots of people passing through LHR are not US/UK residents. They should at least have a warning sign!!

Thanks

isyau

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where can I buy ePub books outside the US/UK????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where can I buy ePub books outside the US/UK????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
buy recent ePub books
by matthewsmith175 / October 18, 2010 8:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Ref:Where can I buy ePub books outside the US/UK????
by 5thWitch / December 7, 2010 6:43 PM PST

You haven't mentioned what kind of book you want.For eBook www.booksbymagpie.com.au is another site where you can buy ebooks.

Collapse -
New books
by isyau / December 7, 2010 11:42 PM PST

Thanks to the people who responded.

Sorry for not being clear. I can find lots of stuff to read through Gutenberg and other sites like the one's you mentioned. If, however, I want to read a book published by a mainstream publisher (even at the sometimes inflated price they ask), then I have no choice. Amazon only works with the Kindle and Sony-compatible sites work only within the US/UK. While I understand that there are limitations on certain editions of certain books, the blanket refusal is upsetting. My only recourse in such cases is to destroy a tree and order a paper copy. We have gotten to the point where e-publishing is _restricting_ the distribution of information!!

Collapse -
Is that so?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2010 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: New books

You bring up a fair point but do you think an author can restrict their works to e-distributions or not or demand the work is only on DRM capable units?
Bob

Collapse -
E-Book buy
by kindleportal / April 17, 2011 9:06 PM PDT

Many website provide you online purchasing if you any credit inter your account number then you buy easily from any country i also buy any thing from any country.

Collapse -
cheap ebooks
by jordu1 / May 9, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

Hi I recently used a company called bookdeal the ony way to contact them is by email at bookdeal@hotmail.com
They have many many books including latest releases at just 1$
They even give you a free book for every 5 you order.
contact them and they send a list out to you.
try them out Im very happy with there service.

john

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.