TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Where are the component audio output jacks?

by rcrcir / November 22, 2012 1:53 PM PST

My 8 year old Sony Vega died (for the second time - repaired it once 3 years ago - not doing it again). Looking at HDTV's and even bought a Vizio 42" Smart TV. Felt good until trying to connect it to my Sony home theater system (probably 10 years old). There is no component audio output jacks! Only a single headphone style output and an optical output. My home theater system only accepts component inputs... Guess I'm taking this back. Looking online, I am noticing most new HDTV's don't have these jacks anymore. Am I out of luck? Help! Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are the component audio output jacks?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are the component audio output jacks?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Should be seeing Optical outputs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2012 3:34 PM PST

Did you look for a optical to component decoder?

Collapse -
Optical to Stereo is not that expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2012 1:26 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Where are the component audio output jacks?
by Donhe7 / November 22, 2012 11:27 PM PST

I believe you mean analogue audio output jacks, I found this problem myself, when trying to connect an infra-red audio transmitter to our new Toshiba HD TV, had to use the headphone jack.
In your case, probably your best bet would be as suggested by M.Proffitt, a digital optical to analogue stereo converter, possibly not all that cheap, but maybe another forum follower may come up with a source for obtaining said item.

donhe7

Collapse -
Answer
Try the composite audio (red and white).
by ahtoi / November 23, 2012 1:53 AM PST

I believe it's the same.

Collapse -
Answer
Lack of any analog outputs
by mjd420nova / November 23, 2012 5:51 AM PST

My 47" Vizio only has the optical output, all other connections are input only. Amazon does have a digital/optical decoder to analog audio decoder. You need a short optical cable, Amazon has suggested options and accessories. Right close to $30. not too bad. Like you, I didn't think before I thought about it and found zero units with anything other than an optical output. I guess they intend to leave the analog worl behind.

Collapse -
Answer
Thank you for all the suggestions.
by rcrcir / December 4, 2012 12:25 PM PST

After analyzing my situation, I ended up purchasing a cable that plugged into the headphone jack and converted to red/white audio jacks to take from tv to home theater system. I was concerned about quality but, alas, its not like I have a home theater room or anything - and so far, the quality is acceptable.

I also determined I had an issue connecting my dvd player/recorder to the tv as well. At this point, I only have the dvd player output going to the tv component input while I purchased an hdmi cable to take the Dish output to the tv. I don't have the output from the tv going into the dvd recorder. Since it is older also, and doesn't take hdmi input, I am still kind of screwed there.

Craig.

Collapse -
Answer
Give us the model of the Vizio and Sony home theater then...
by ahtoi / December 6, 2012 5:02 PM PST

see if we might be able to give you some help. Also maybe the model of the dvd player/recorder as well.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.