Windows 7

Question

Where are my Backup and Restore Files.?

by Judesman / October 1, 2013 5:00 PM PDT

For the first time I have set up a scheduled backup and restore on my computer. The initial backup completed but when I looked at the properties of the saved files(User PC and Windows Image Backup) it tells me that the size is 0 bytes, Size on disk 0 bytes and contains 0 files and 0 folders. So if these folders are empty where is my backup? The computer is set to display hidden files.

If I let Windows choose which files to backup will that include my Outlook files?

Any help appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are my Backup and Restore Files.?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are my Backup and Restore Files.?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 5:05 PM PDT

That's a great question. And it shows why so few people use the Microsoft offered backup. It doesn't work or they don't understand it.

Time to search for an alternative?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 7 Backup
by cmmer31 / October 6, 2013 2:35 PM PDT

To make a backup of your computer (Image - all of it) using Windows 7 you need either a good many DVD or
an Exterior Hard Drive. Exterior hard drive is best. Start - Control Panel - Backup and Restore Icon -
Create a System Image (left top corner) - If you have an Exterior hard drive showing in - Computer - your pc will find it. You select either DVD or Your exterior hard drive - click Next and follow directions. I don't do day to day backups.

Collapse -
My experiences with Windows Backup is mostly bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2013 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 Backup

My advice is to forget it and use anything else.
Bob

Collapse -
Not many fans of Windows Backup.
by Judesman / October 7, 2013 5:05 AM PDT

There don't seem to be many fans of Windows Backup out there. I have discovered that if I click on "Restore my files" and click on "Browse for files" the files are there although the properties indicate that the folders are empty.

So what do I use instead of Windows Backup please?

As a matter of interest, in spite of ticking "Track this thread" I am not getting an email.

Collapse -
Tracking bugs too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

Sorry about that, I alerted it, just in case.

I use a few systems and apps to backup.

An old favorite is to Zip a bunch of folders to my external HDD. There are some speed benefits to this and since it's non-proprietary I can reclaim my files with almost any OS or unzipper. The speed benefit is that data is compressed before writing over the usual slow USB 2.0 link.

What I use now besides that is SyncBack and an offline backup called Clonezilla. It's a little work to restore single files from a Clonezilla backup so I tend to use that for a full OS image that I can put back to my crashed system in under 20 minutes. The neat part of Clonezilla is that it places each image in its own folder so I can have a few dates to choose from.
Bob

Collapse -
Judesman, can you try tracking this particular discussion...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 7, 2013 6:01 AM PDT

again and see if it shows up here?

http://forums.cnet.com/7724-6035_102-0.html

Trying to figure out if this is still an issue for people.

FWIW I just tracked this particular discussion and it show up in my list.

Thanks!
-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
Tracked Discussion
by Judesman / October 11, 2013 11:56 PM PDT

No Lee, it does not appear in that link and I have just re-visited the thread because I hadn't received any notifications.

Thank you for your interest.

Collapse -
Now tracked
by Judesman / October 12, 2013 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Tracked Discussion

Lee, I now see that this thread is appearing in the link and appears to be tracked. If there is another response it will be interesting to see if I get an email. Many thanks.

Collapse -
Great, now let's see if you get this notification for....
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 14, 2013 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Now tracked

this updated post.

FWIW I got a couple alerts from the updates posted in this thread, hopefully you did too.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Notification received......
by Judesman / October 14, 2013 4:32 AM PDT

.....so all seems to be well and thank you for taking this on board Lee.

Collapse -
(NT) Great. Thanks for following back up!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 14, 2013 6:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
As others have said, avoid the Windows backup program
by wpgwpg / October 7, 2013 5:17 AM PDT

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Two I'm familiar with and like are Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99 - you can download it from http://memeo.com .
The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. Like Norton Ghost it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .
-
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $55 and a 1 TB one for around $70. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $15. It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps. Good luck

Collapse -
Windows Backup
by Judesman / October 12, 2013 12:07 AM PDT

Thank you very much for this, I will have to do some research. I know my computer shop uses Acronis but as I am not much of a techie I will have to find something that is simple to use. I am, at present, backing up to an external hard drive. The problem is that you don't know how good something is until you have to restore and hopefully that wont happen.

Thank you all for your input.

Collapse -
Answer
I use Easus Todo Backup software
by James Denison / October 15, 2013 12:36 AM PDT

It's free and makes it easy.

Collapse -
I will have a look at this.
by Judesman / October 15, 2013 4:08 AM PDT

Thank you James, I will have a look at this. I looked at some user reviews for Acronis and wasn't impressed. I am not much of a techie and don't want to create any problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.