PC Applications forum

General discussion

where are Macromedia Flash Player files stored on my pc?

by justdave / July 6, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

i click on a link and the flash player window opens. i watch the file, then i mouse over and right click but there's no ''save as'' option. but there is a ''settings'' option and when i click on that i'm asked ''how much info can (xyz website) store on my computer?'' i slid the bar over to unlimited storage. so i'm assuming if the info is stored then i can access it on my pc. suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: where are Macromedia Flash Player files stored on my pc?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: where are Macromedia Flash Player files stored on my pc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the temp files...

The location depends on the browser and operating system, two things that are unknown at this point, but you should find it under "temporary internet files" (Internet Explorer) or "browser cache" (Firefox, Netscape, etc.) depending on which browser you're using. You can sort the contents by date or file type so you can find it easier. (You won't know the name of the file, but it should end with .swf.)

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
great... now where is Adobe Flash Player?
by justdave / August 2, 2006 8:01 AM PDT

thanks, i found the files in the cache (using about:cache in the location bar of firefox). the extensions were not visible (why?) and the files have no known program associated with them (again why?).

the computer uses Adobe Flash Player to view the files but i cannot find Adobe Flash Player on my computer. i can't get other programs to open these files. any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
The problem...
by mousearoma / August 2, 2006 8:44 AM PDT

Internet Explorer simply saves the original files to the Temp. Internet Files folder, but Firefox doesn't. Instead it generates a file with no extension or association with a random file name and stores the code in that, making it difficult to 'recover.' What you'd have to do is find the file you thing is it, then rename it adding the .swf extension at the end and see if it works. This can obviously be frustrating, tedious, and actually potentially dangerous.

Instead, I'd try one of the following options:
1.) Use Internet Explorer to view the site/video, then recover the .swf file from Temporary Internet Files.

2.) In Firefox type in About:Cache, click List Cache Entries, then use ctrl + f to search for and find the "swf" ending. Once you find the one in question click on the link to be taken to the next page with more information. On that page you will be presented with a direct link to the Flash file. You can then do a Right-click->Save As to save the video to disk anywhere you like.

3.) Experiment with third-party utilities (click here that can capture the flash file for you.

Personally, I'd take option #2, but that's just me.

Hope this helps,

P.S. You can play a Flash file with a number of different programs, but I usually just use my browser. (Open With->Firefox)

Collapse -
now where is Adobe Flash Player?
by orionsirius / October 24, 2009 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: The problem...

Where is Adobe Flash Player stored in my computer ? (XP)

Collapse -
It's an add-on to your browser.
by Kees Bakker / October 26, 2009 12:08 AM PDT

So the answer depends on what browser(s) you use.

Collapse -
where is Flash Player stored
by orionsirius / November 5, 2009 8:08 PM PST

I know what Flash Player is. What I want to know is where is it stored on my computer. (XP)

Let me give you a couple examples to help you understand what Flash Player is.

If I send a friend a swiff file and they do not have Flash Player installed, then they cannot open the file.
This can be easily remedied by going to Adobe and downloading Flash Player (my question is where this will be stored; when downloading Adobe does not give the location for the file as normal downloads do).

At one time, in order to open swiff files one could download saflashplayer.exe but some of my friends are not computer literate enough to do this because if I recall this requires changing the listing in "File Types". (it's been quite a while since I did this on a friend's computer)

Collapse -
Re: where is flash stored.
by Kees Bakker / November 5, 2009 8:29 PM PST

I really don't know where it is stored. If I were interested I would try to find out in this way:
1. First thing in the morning, (uninstall and) reinstall Flash in my browser(s).
2. Use Windows Explorer to search for files modified today. Flash is a subset of those.

Collapse -
I don't know about swiff files,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 6, 2009 4:34 AM PST

but if I had a .swf file that I didn't have Flash Player installed, I would first try it in a browser. Most browser will now have the flash player plugin installed as many web site use flash, and the browser will play those.

Just drag the .swf file into a browser window.

Adobe has a web page to test if browser have the plugin installed, here;

Collapse -
I don't know about swiff files
by orionsirius / November 6, 2009 7:02 PM PST

Thanks very much Mark!!
I thought that perhaps I would have to save the swiff file from the Attachment in Outlook Express first, but no !!!. I was able to drag it from the "Attach" field right into the browser window.

now re swiff:
I think that swiff is how .swf is pronounced.
But here's a little (useless?) nugget. I was reading a book many years ago on how to use Flash (the application, one of the first versions ). The book stated that when .swf files were first created they were named SWF which stands for Small Web Files.
I have not come across this explanation for SWF since.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 6, 2009 7:50 PM PST

Just a note about attachments in emails.

I'm sure most attachments are fine, but personally I never take the risk. I always save any attachments to my hard drive, (I use the Desktop as a temporary location), then scan it with my anti-virus scanner. Email attachments are good vehicles for distributing malware.

But anyway, glad your .swf files work in the browser. Now all you have to do is tell your friend how to do it.

Collapse -
by shadowyblade / November 30, 2012 9:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Macromedia Flash Player
by zoidamite / September 2, 2010 5:09 AM PDT

The files are installed in the following location:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.