Laptops forum

Question

Where are all the basic laptops with good screens.

by techyguy717 / January 20, 2012 9:21 AM PST

It is hard to find a basic laptop with a good screen. All of the laptops I have seen are one of the following:

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Where are all the basic laptops with good screens.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Where are all the basic laptops with good screens.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Any Help?
by techyguy717 / January 23, 2012 2:13 AM PST

Any recommendation. Do these laptops even exist?

Collapse -
I waited to see if there was such a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2012 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Any Help?

I think your best bet is to head to the shops to find that good display and then look at the tags to see if they hit your price point.

Bob

Collapse -
Still can't find a good laptop
by techyguy717 / March 14, 2012 2:12 AM PDT

Still can't find a basic laptop with a quality screen. Take a look at the difference in screen prices. A quality screen costs only $40 more! Why does it seem like computer makers aren't even trying?

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/B156HW01~V.4/
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/B156XW04~V.5/

I went to Best Buy and Staples. The laptop screens are all terrible, for under $1000.

I asked a Best Buy employee to show me a laptop with:

High resolution screen
High contrast
High brightness
Back lit keyboard.

They said the only laptop that fits that description is this:

Huge Laptop the size of a suitcase
Heavy
Geforce 560 graphics (why do I need that?)
$1200

Collapse -
Answer
The best screens are on the
by orlbuckeye / January 24, 2012 11:46 PM PST

higher priced laptops. Thats because those screens cost the manufacturer more. The screen is probably the most costly part of the laptop.

Collapse -
Not true.
by techyguy717 / March 14, 2012 2:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Another thing to consider is that
by orlbuckeye / March 14, 2012 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Not true.

you need to pair a screen with a graphics card. Manufacturers tend to match the quality of parts of all components meaning a suped up graphics card will come with a top of line screen.

I was looking at Acer screen and they ran from 80 to 220 with a wide varieties of differences. You definitely needed a model number to know what your buying.

Collapse -
Not true
by techyguy717 / March 16, 2012 2:16 AM PDT

That isn't true. A Sandy Bridge Core i3 Processor is more than enough to watch Netflix HD, Hulu or Youtube.

I don't need everything and the kitchen sink. I just need a good screen.

Did you check the links I posted? A good screen is only $40 more! Where can I get such a computer?

Collapse -
Since it's not true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Not true

Why didn't you find a laptop that met all your specs?

Collapse -
Your right.
by techyguy717 / March 20, 2012 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Since it's not true.

Your right, I can't find one. I don't mean to make a fuss, so I will simply be specific.

Is there a laptop that is:

- 15 - 16 inches
- Bright, high contrast screen with high resolution
- Priced between $500 - $700

Thank you for your insight.

Collapse -
Only you ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Your right.

can see if a screen is good enough for you or not. That's never in the specs published by the makers: "moderate quality screen". The resolution, of course, is stated as 1920x1200 or so, but brightness and contrast are much harder to quantify (contrast is specified for TV's, but I've never seen it for a laptop).

So the best thing to do is to visit a few laptop shops in your nearby shopping center and see for yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
No fuss at all. Let me steer you to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Your right.

Some of the better screens at that price might be on some Sony's. However as models changed from just a few months ago we are back in the stores to inspect the displays.

Painful at times.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes the Sandy Bridge has the
by orlbuckeye / March 20, 2012 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Not true

Intel graphics processor built into it. Just because a screen has higher resolution doesn't make it good ot bad. There are alot more factors built onto the equation.

What I'm saying is you get what you pay for. The looked at Acer replacement screens which ranged from 80 to 220. Acer will not put a 220 screen on a laptop with get a integrated graphics processor.

I have an Acer 8950G that has a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen which the laptop was priced was between 1200 and 1500
Acer make a $ 700 1920 x 1080 which the screen is nowhere near the price of mine that why the laptop is 700.

It's a fact that entertainment and gaming machines WILL have better screens then all purpose machines. It's also true that they will cost more because they will have more powerfull components.

You just need to look and select your personal preference.

Collapse -
Answer
Also the Ipad has resolution of
by orlbuckeye / January 24, 2012 11:56 PM PST

1024 x 768 and the cheapest laptop on Newegg has a higher resolution that that. Tablets and Ipads differences are th colors are more vivid. The screens on laptops are designed for different type of usage (gaming, word docs, photo editing) and.

Collapse -
Answer
I looked at Newegg and they
by orlbuckeye / March 21, 2012 12:20 AM PDT

have 50 laptops with the i3 processor that are 15.0 to 15.6 and ALL (50) the laptops have a maximum resolution of 1366 x 788.

The 16.0 to 16.4 all have i7 processors with a discrete graphics card and resolution of 1920 x 1080 and all are Sony's.

It looks like on Newegg in order to go above 1366 x 788 you need i5 plus a discrete card. Also you have to go above 1000 to get the higher resolution.

In other words you get what you pay for. The i3 is the cheapest and they don't mix and match higer priced components because they would have to charge more and price is the bigfgest reason why people buy that category of a laptop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.