Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Whenever I turn my pc on, I get a pop up that says

by DUKESofHAZZARD / May 19, 2006 10:06 AM PDT

System Configuration Utility...any ideas why this happens and how can I stop it from appearing each time I turn on my pc?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Whenever I turn my pc on, I get a pop up that says
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Whenever I turn my pc on, I get a pop up that says
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MSCONFIG
by linkit / May 19, 2006 10:36 AM PDT

What operating system?

It's part of windows. Same as if you went to Start > Run, and typed in "msconfig" (without quotes).

If you changed something in MSCONFIG, then the System Configuration Utility appears upon startup until you tell Windows that you wish to accept the changes and not to remind you that MSCONFIG has been changed.

Collapse -
Does it have a box to check?
by Steven Haninger / May 19, 2006 10:38 AM PDT

It sounds as if a change was made to what loads at startup using msconfig. There should be a checkbox asking if you want to continue displaying this in the future. Check or uncheck as desired. The box should disappear.

Collapse -
I checked a box that had text next to it saying: Don't show
by DUKESofHAZZARD / May 20, 2006 6:16 AM PDT

this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start

So I'll click this box and then click OK and I hope this keeps this pop up from appearing each time I start my pc.

Collapse -
I turned my pc on and the System Utility

Configuration Utility didn't pop up. Checking the box helped disable it thus far. I hope its gone for good now until I enable it. Thank you all

Collapse -
It is...
by Papa Echo / May 19, 2006 1:14 PM PDT

...only guesses until you provide the full message, or at least more of it. Such a message pops up when you have run msconfig to make changes therein, but that pop up contains instructions to not allow that pop up for subsequent reboots (a box to check), so I wonder why you ask...

Collapse -
It says...
by DUKESofHAZZARD / May 20, 2006 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: It is...

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made to using the System Configuration Utility

(empty check box) Don't show this message again or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Left click on the box > OK.
by caktus / May 21, 2006 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: It says...
Collapse -
So....
by Papa Echo / May 21, 2006 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: It says...

...follow the instructions, and you will be OK - unless you did, and you are not OK ?

Collapse -
System Configuration Utility pop-up came back again
by DUKESofHAZZARD / May 23, 2006 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: So....

and this time it says:

"You have used the System Configuration Utility
to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing the message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

(There's an empty box before the folling text) Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start."

So what should I do to stop this message from popping up again once and for all?

Collapse -
Re: System Configuration Utility pop-up came back again
by Tufenuf / May 23, 2006 8:27 AM PDT

DUKESofHAZZARD, "(There's an empty box before the folling text) Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start."

Put a checkmark in that empty box and clicm OK and that pop-up message won't appear until the next time you uncheck an item under the Syatyup tab in the System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG).

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Here's more info
by Tufenuf / May 23, 2006 8:34 AM PDT

If you never want to see that pop-up again.

Msconfig - Stops the Selective Startup screen

Download the xp_nomsconfig.vbs file:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.htm
and save it to your Desktop (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the xp_nomsconfig.vbs file after closing MSConfig. You will not see the Selective Startup screen on the next boot.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.