The CNET Lounge

General discussion

When will you start using Windows Vista?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 26, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

When will you start using Windows Vista?

I'm already using it (How do you like it?)
I'll upgrade soon (When?)
Maybe within the year (Why?)
After a year (Why?)
When I'm forced to (Why?)
When Microsoft stops supporting XP
Never (Why not?)
I don't do Windows (What do you use?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: When will you start using Windows Vista?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: When will you start using Windows Vista?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Been using and loving it since last year. :)
by John.Wilkinson / April 26, 2007 6:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
VISTA
by Auntycon / April 27, 2007 11:33 AM PDT

I love it and if you will just give it a try.............you will too. It is so automatic and user friendly if you do not expect things to be like XP. This is much better and I have had not problems that I can not fix myself. The phone company did not know how to hook up the mail program in my DSL but I figures it out alone...just give progress a try. I am a senior citizen so if I can love it, so can you.. Everything I use runs just fine so it might be a matter of fighting something new...Thanks Microsoft.

Collapse -
Windows Vista
by scismgenie / April 27, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

I have recently purchased a Windows Vista machine.

There are a LOT of compatibility issues, like waiting for companies to develop drivers for the peripherals, I haven't been able to print anything on this machine since day one. Additionally Back support of Microsoft's own products is lacking, Microsoft Office 2003 and Works 6.0 are incompatible. Many of my other company programs conflict and will not even run, Media Center takes over the computer for all file types and will play in parallel to any other program you install, unless you go in and reassign the file type defaults.

Several programs lose their performance, (NoteTab, my preferred text/HTML editing software loses its ability to emulate keystrokes while processing text).

My Graphics programs are totally inoperative.

The "free" virus protection that comes with it is incompatible and allows you to 'think' you are protected. (Norton anti-virus)

The system asks you to verify EVERY program you run, and there is no way I have found to tell it to allow commonly used programs without bothering me with "are you sure?" messages.

I am dissatisfied with the system, I thought when I bought the product in February, that I was "upgrading" to less operational problems, but sadly it is a JUNK operating system that is a large step backwards in everyday use.

Lexmark indicates that a driver for my $350 printer should be available soon, (April 30). I did return my computer thirty days after I bought it, the Technicians went through it and said there were NO issues in it, that it was working exactly as Microsoft intended, requiring the user to purchase updated everything to make it work without problems, and they suggested that I switch to HP printers because that is what Microsoft set the system up to accept.

Collapse -
Vista is terrible
by donmid / April 29, 2007 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Vista

We have four laptops - two came with Vista and two with XP. Everyday there is a battle to get the two with XP.

Vista is slow (really slow - even with 2G memory), full of irritating messages, not compatible with half our programs, hard to navigate, generally a piece of junk.

I have obtained two new XP Pro's disks and tomorrow there will be no stinking Vista.

Collapse -
I will change to Vista when pigs fly
by gizmo379 / April 30, 2007 10:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Vista

That wasn't one of the acceptable options, so I actually chose 'when forced to' as my vote. But knowing Microsoft, they just might find a way to make pigs fly, so I'd better watch myself. I have to go with all the users who are screaming that there is no Microsoft help for those of us who are XP users. I have been invited to do several user testings over the past, either in Redmond, or in my home. Upon completion, I am always given a choice of software as my reward. One was when Windows XP had just been released. I chose a copy of Windows ME instead. The tester asked if I didn't want a copy of XP, so I'd be 'current', especially at the street value of XP. My response was "I've never bought 'Version 1.0 of anything'". The same goes for Vista. After MS gets bomblasted enough with complaints from XP users, and loses enough to Linux OS, then MAYBE they'll get smart and update Vista to 2.0, release it at a reasonable price for upgraders, and have real online/voice support. THEN, I'll start looking for flying pigs....til then, I'll stay with all the hardcore users who want their computers to work when THEY want them to work.

Collapse -
I can positively say....
by Me, Myself and You / April 30, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

...agreed!

Collapse -
when pigs fly
by mario_echavarria / August 20, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

I will probally be using vista when pigs fly. Too much complications for now.

Collapse -
Vista - NEVER!
by mlcgruhlke / April 28, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

I have been running Windows XP Professional for a number of years without any issues whatsoever. If MS decides to end support for this great OS, then I will migrate to Linux. An OS shouldn't be released aka Vista...this reminds me so much of Windows ME failure. And, I agree with others here on the problems associated with validation/revalidation of software to acquire necessary OS and security updates to "fix" something their programmers screwed up or missed. I'm tired of MS's hot fixes - it's Linux next for me and there are a lot of programs now that one can install in a Linux platform which will accommodate most Windows designed software. See ya Bill!

Collapse -
reply to: Vista - NEVER!
by HawaiiMuskrat / April 28, 2007 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista - NEVER!

I agree. Essentially, Windows Vista is the unabsorbed residue of the equine digestive process! I too will be moving to Linux, perhaps well ahead of the end of XP support.

Collapse -
Never!
by Tornado46 / April 28, 2007 1:40 AM PDT

Because Vista won't work anyway on my PC. :^)

Collapse -
I will not go back never
by raffalcon1 / April 28, 2007 9:11 AM PDT

I buy an HP on October 2006 with XP and option to upgrade to Vista. I accept the challege and I do not regret. Thank to CNET, I learned a lot about to make my PC MY PC againg. HP give me the drivers for some of my periferals and microsoft do the same for the other ones. The Vista update give you the updates to many programs (online and inside your PC). And the most I like: if there is a problem, Vista has a feature that check for online solutions at Microsoft or the manufaturer of the product who was the problem. You only have to be patient.
Againg, Vista give me some headaches at the begining. But now I will not go back.

Collapse -
microsoft windows vista home basic {emachines} by dell
by kathyrose102565 / April 29, 2007 12:44 PM PDT

i went out and brought it on the same day when it was put out which was in feb. 07 and only probilems i have with it are some of the games i have wont work on it which is ok cause i still have my old computer with xp on it. only other problem im haveing with it is it takes forever to download games from the internet why is that.
heres the rest of my iformation.
w3609 desktop pc windows vista home basic 15-in-1 memory card reader dvd+rw multi format double layer optical driver 512 mb ddr2 intel celeron d processor 356 3.33 ghz 533 mhz fsb 512 kb l2 cache intel graphics media accelerator 950 with avilable pci-express slot hard drive 120 gb network 10/100 mbps ethernet lan.
but i still have problems dowloading stuff from the internet and i dont have dial up i have cable so is this enough information about my computer is there a way you can help me find out why it takes solong to download stuff.

thank you,kathy

ps ill be waiting to hear from you.

Collapse -
not yet
by mario_echavarria / August 20, 2007 4:45 AM PDT

Not at the moment, Microsoft needs to fix those issues like it supposed to do. For now will be using linux ubutnu. Wors better and much stable with wireless connection with my modem. well Vista should be impeach as an OS.

Collapse -
Two years it seems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

At the Office we have none and as long as Dell keeps selling us XP Pro based machines we'll just watch from the sidelines.

Why? Gotta work.

Bob

Collapse -
VISTA Later -- Much Later
by S1neQuaN0n / April 27, 2007 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Two years it seems.

I will use the same philosophy I used for upgrading to WINDOWS for DOS, then to WINDOWS 95, WINDOWS 2000, and WINDOWS XP -- I will upgrade when the benefits of the new OS out weigh the pain of upgrading. As long as XP keeps me happy, why put up with the grief and uncertainty of upgrading?

Collapse -
Microsoft Vista
by coakleycrl / April 27, 2007 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Two years it seems.

I have bought my last copy of MS Windows OS. They have screwed up the activation to a point that it makes me angry every time I have to reformat my computer and install Windows XP. They can't just let you do the old Validation, you have to go through a longer process to get it done with a phone call. I am in the process of finding software for Linux that will do what I want and when that is complete I will trash my copy of Windows. Microsoft has become to greedy for me.

Jim

Collapse -
Microsoft activation a pain and giving Linux a try
by Rickh123456 / April 27, 2007 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Microsoft Vista

I agree with the posting above - Microsoft has made activation and validation for updates a major pain. I have several laptops and have licensed software for each of them; however, I recently retired two of them and got newer ones off ebay. I thought the install process for my licensed copies of XP Home and XP Pro, and Outlook 2002, and Office XP would be easy. - no way, had to call Microsoft four different times within 24 hours, answer questions about my laptops, and enter a lengthy new activation code. Stinks, and if Vista has a process anywhere near as bad as the XP process, I want no part of it. I am using an older laptop and installed a linux distribution to replace Windows 98, and it works great, so far.

Collapse -
Microsoft Vista
by doshie2007 / April 27, 2007 9:43 PM PDT

I don't understand why people who claim to hate Windows Vista so much over XP. nothing lasts forever. I love Vista, so what some of my old programs don't work. when you upgade to a new computer, your old software does not always work. Vista is great... if you hate it and bought it on a new computer, that was your choice. choices are part of life, if you give Vista a chance you will like it. I made the choice of upgrading not buying a new computer... I upgraded all of my drivers and now it works like a new computer.

Ann

Collapse -
Curious!
by hom_sepanta / April 27, 2007 10:43 PM PDT

Curious! Why on earth one should stop using his/her previous programs when upgrading to a new computer? If you thing it's normal, you should know it's a Microsoft-only problem! I found this, after I switched to GNU/Linux.

Collapse -
vista
by deborah3867 / April 28, 2007 1:15 AM PDT

i was told by many people , dont bother getting vista saty away from it! i did all the usual research and decided to give it a go, i have been using vista for 6 months now and i can honestly say i have had no problems at all for those of you who are being told the same do consider giving it a go, i was able to get all updates for the items i could not run and six months down the line now you will find a lot more items up for updates , i have never looked back i think its brill

Collapse -
to doshie2007
by tfwalkingeagle / April 28, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

My old pc crashed. I went to 3 stores looking for a new one. I wanted XP. But, they told me all pc's had been updated to vista. So, when I asked about printers and other accesories they said they didnt have any compatible but I might be able to find drivers online. 20 pc models with vista and no vista compatible devices? I'm afraid to try to downgrade to XP. Many people say they have ptoblems there too. Dont say that we made the choice. Microsoft took the choices away. They should have left some with XP. We should have the choice.

Collapse -
No Choice
by shalimara / April 28, 2007 9:35 PM PDT

When I purchased my new Dell, I did not have a choice between vista and xp. I hear that has recently changed though and now it is possible to make your own choice...If had my choice it would be xp. I have never had so much trouble with any OS as this one and I have had them all since 3.1. I cannot think of one really good thing to say about vista. My new dell pc came right out of the box with programs installed on it that were not compatible with vista. Ha ha... can you believe that? Some of my older programs that ran fine on my other systems will not run on vista, which is very annoying to me. My opinion is: If Microsoft put it out there then they should be liable to make it work properly with their own programs. I don't have one good reason to love vista. They took a wonderful OS, (XP) and tried, at no avail to make it better and failed miserably.

Collapse -
Vista = TOY
by buco55 / April 28, 2007 11:30 PM PDT

Well simply put Vista is good only as a TOY!!!!
It maybe have a better look in general but the functionality is very poor when compared with XP.
There aren't many applications ready for vista and the old ones don't work always even in the compatibility mode.
Overall, just as CNET edditors ranked it - it is just another service pack for XP, nothing more than that. It has some cool bells and whisless but that's all it has to offer.

Collapse -
Vista Sucks!!!!
by afro2358 / April 27, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

I went out of my way to buy Windows Vista (Home Premium Upgrade), I am very sorry i did. I have a Dell XPS Gen 3 Desktop with 160 GB hard drive,4GB of RAM, Pentium 4,3.40 GHz. and i still had to do a PC Restore just to install Vista. Once that happen, that's when "Hell" started. It degraded my sound card, Printer, and everything else you can name, alot of problems just started adding up inwhich i just could not take it anymore, so i put Windows XP back on my computer. If i know i was going to have alot of problems with Vista, i would not have spent that type of money ($160.). I remember years ago when i had an older computer with Win98 and i upgraded to WinXP, everything was beautiful, no problems with anything, so you would think by upgrading from XP to Vista you would get the same thing, WRONG. What a piece of Junk. If Microsoft wanted to improve their image, they should have just improved XP not come up with another OS. After watching CNBC inwhich they was just saying how Microsoft first quarter profit grew because of Windows Vista, i can see now how they ripped off alot of people (including myself)regarding selling a product that stinks. And i hate to say,i am also a shareholder of Microsoft. "SHAME ON YOU BILL GATES". If in the future i had to get another computer, i would go with Linux.

Collapse -
No way
by NWRCS / April 27, 2007 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Sucks!!!!

I've had it with Gates and Co.
After the "forced" update with WGA and WGA Notify a year ago where they overrode personal settings, and now where to get manual updates of "critical" items you MUST be on automatic updates, to hell with them.
Personal, business computers we are looking into options that do NOT include Gates.
I have recommended to the Corporate headquarters in Oz and to my counterparts to NOT use windoze of any type, and to avoid VISTA like the plague.
All we had to do was get a whiff of "Defender" and how it never once, and I mean EVER ONCE caught anything while others did, well, for an XP-SP3 upgrade, and one that can only be "migrated" limited times, not interested at all.

Collapse -
Vista Sucks
by pekoneko / April 27, 2007 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Sucks!!!!

I agree.

That's why I own a Mac. Vista has greatly enhanced Mac sales. Sure, you pay a little more, but you get a Mercedes instead of an old pick up you have to work on all the time. Put you money you would sen on Vista, and get a Mac...my Mac even has windows on it!

Collapse -
vistas
by kathjn / April 27, 2007 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista Sucks

This truly should never have been released. If anyone wishes to start a lawsuit on this one let me know. I am so tired of paying for bologna products released as being great. I have a laptop now with vistas and afraid to put xp on it because I am not savvy enough to make it all run smoothly. Personally I think each and everyone who has this mess is due a refund or replacement at their cost not ours.

Collapse -
My Vista
by silverwings12202 / April 28, 2007 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: vistas

I got a new computer with Sindfows Vista in February, 2007 and I hated it. I couldn't run my programs from WinddowsXP. I called the company and wanted thewm to Exchange it or take it back, but they wouldn't. One of the technicians told me to go to restore and restore it back to the way it was when I took it out of the box. BE SURE TO SAVE EVERY THING THAT YOU HAVE ON IT TO A DISK.
I did this, and I have no problems at all. Things that I tried to install before and couldn't I am using just fine.
Maybe this would work for you.
Good Luck.

Collapse -
macs suck!
by jgon9 / April 27, 2007 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Vista Sucks

I'll never touch a mac "computer." If you like downloading programs and games, you get a PC. Check out download.com, how much is supported by macs? If you like a mouse that has more than one mouse button you get a PC. If you want to run Linux and XP in a dual-boot config like I am right now, you go with a PC. You want to use a great PDA phone, you go with a PC. Last time I checked Windows Mobile devices does everything the iPhone claims it will do and they cost a lot less. There's also something called variety which you'll never see on a mac.

Why do you think apple is pushing Boot Camp to allow users to run Windows on their mac computer? You'll never see OS X on a PC?

As for Vista, I'll do what I did with XP, I waited until Service Pack 1 came out.

Collapse -
Ha! Have you tried a Mac? Probably No.
by rschama / April 27, 2007 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: macs suck!

Ignorance is bliss? If you will never touch a Mac you will never know any different will you?
If you want games, get a console. If you want a solid, stable, functional, productive computer, get a Mac.
I use both platforms and actually know the differences.

Yes, you can use a two button (or more) mouse with a Mac. I use a Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel (which beats any ordinary mouse by a mile when you get used to the track ball).

And yes, I download free useful programs all the time. Maybe not the crap freebie stuff in cereal boxes, but who wants that adware infested garbage anyhow?

Do you like downloading viruses and trojans too? I have never bought an anti-virus program, never. How much have you spent upgrading your antivirus programs over the years? Add it up buddy!

Oh, and yes, I do have windows XP on my Mac run in Parallels to run the rare program I can't get for Mac. Nothing I could really live without. Just some old PC games I had grown fond of and a comic book database program called Comicbase. That's it!

PDA phone? Get a TREO with Palm or the upcoming Linux based version which is in the works. My professional colleagues who have windows mobile TREOs complain of regular crashes. Gee.. sounds like the windows we all know and love for PC's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.