Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

when starting my computer "NTLDR is missing" massage shows

by paulgill19 / April 3, 2010 7:26 PM PDT

when starting my computer "NTLDR is missing- press ctrl+alt+del to restart" massage shows up. same massages shows up no matter how many times i restart my computer. before windows xp was working just fine.

What can i do to have my windows xp working again

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: when starting my computer "NTLDR is missing" massage shows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: when starting my computer "NTLDR is missing" massage shows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: NTLDR missing
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2010 7:49 PM PDT

What to do to use your PC again depends.

It could be that you don't yet have SP2 installed (you didn't tell). In that case: read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397
Deleting unnecessary files from the root folder might help also. The root folder has a limited capacity.

It could be that any of the issues mentioned in http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm is applicable. You're the only one who can diagnose the problem.

Maybe http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm helps. But I don't know how trustworthy this is.

And, of course, it's possible it's just missing (although it's unclear how that came). From the recovery console see if you can find ntldr and ntdetect.com in the root folder using the command dir c:\nt* /a:h (followed by enter). With me, they are. With you?
In that case, get your Windows XP CD, boot into the recovery console and copy it back as described in the last post in http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

The last recourse would be a repair or even a clean install of Windows XP, but I don't think that's necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
NTLDR missing
by paulgill19 / April 4, 2010 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: NTLDR missing

Dear Kees Bakker,

i was trying linux ubuntu 7.10 live cd. it was not installed, as i logged off ubuntu and tried to start windows xp, the ntldr is missing message showed up. and also i could not boot from the ubuntu 7.10 cd anymore. but i could still use ubuntu 7.04 live cd and as a matter of fact this is what i am using now to write this massage. i am a novice and don't really know what to do in such a situation. i was trying the online virus scan to scan for viruses before taking any other action unsuccesfully, as the os is not installed and to download antivirus i have to use a addon on firefox and then firefox need to be restarted but all my attempts to do so have failed as it would not do it in memory, i perhaps have to install the os before i can use the online virus scan.

Please help if you can.

Thanks

Collapse -
A stupid question first
by Steven Haninger / April 4, 2010 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: NTLDR missing

ntldr missing is commonly caused by a removable disk being left in a drive. In order to boot ubuntu, you'd need to change the boot order. Often a BIOS will present a message to strike any key to boot from CD if the CD ROM drive is placed ahead of the HD. You have to remove the CD in order to have Windows ignore it. There's another common mistake that can happen when altering the boot order if you have another HD on the system or even connected via USB. That is moving the Windows drive too far down and your system will try to boot from another HD. ntldr missing is often the result of doing this. Make sure your Windows HD is first among HDs if you've not done so already.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.